Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: ID3 tag AlbumArtist
Question 
Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked. I did a search but could not find anything on the topic. Apologies also for the long thread. I'll try to be concise.

Firstly, I'm new to streaming audio. I will be purchasing an AlloDAC Player in the next couple of days and need to specify my preferred bundled OS. I've read some great things about Moode, particulalry it's SQ compared with OSs.

The next most important need/wish for me is to be able to browse my music easily. I have many albums that are categorised as Various Artist by music players (albums that are a part of a series like Blue Note Trip or have a dominant artist such as Stephane Pompougnac's Hotel Costes series). Browsing by artist will give loads of artists (many I won't even know by name) making scrolling through a pain. Browsing by Album might put them all at the end under Various Artists. I'm very happy with my music player on my laptop, MusicBee, which allows me to group and browse by the ID3 tag AlbumArtist. I would be really grateful if someone could confirm whether this is something I can do in Moode or if there's a work around via another Moode compatible/integrated player app/pluggin (LMS/Squuezelite?). I would also need this on a remote (IOS or Android).

As an aside, is it possible to browse music by the folder structure?

Many thanks in advance guys.
Like most standard audio players, Moode (specifically the MPD software that Moode uses to play files) recognizes the ID3 Album Artist tag. So your compilation albums will appear as concise albums so long as they're tagged correctly.
You can find/browse to whatever Artist or Album Artist is imported in the library.

Also you can browse the file structure of tracks imported into MPD's library. File view is not a file manager exactly but browses MPD's imported music library represented according to their folder structure.
(06-09-2020, 09:31 PM)vinnn Wrote: Like most standard audio players, Moode (specifically the MPD software that Moode uses to play files) recognizes the ID3 Album Artist tag. So your compilation albums will appear as concise albums so long as they're tagged correctly.
You can find/browse to whatever Artist or Album Artist is imported in the library.

Also you can browse the file structure of tracks imported into MPD's library. File view is not a file manager exactly but browses the MPD's imported music library represented according to their folder structure.

Hi Vinnn, thank you so much for your reply. That's great to know. I didn't want to have to try out different OSs since it's all new to me. Just one follow-up question if I may: so will the main interface or main library view allow me to have my music grouped by album artists? Basically can I control how the library is presented to me? I had a glimpse at Volumio on a video and all I saw on its main menu was Albums or Artists.

Oh one more sorry, could you recommend any IOS (or even Android) apps that will have that feature also? iPeng? Orange Squeeze?

Many thanks again
You don't need a separate app. moOde's WebUI provides mobile layouts.

The Library has several grouping options and lets you specify the string used in the AlbumArtist tag to designate tracks that belong to compilation albums. See the screen shots below.

I should add that when the Library is generated if the AlbumArtist tag is populated it takes precedence over the Artist tag.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Also I'd recommend downloading the latest 6.5.2 moOde release from moodeaudio.org.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-09-2020, 10:23 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Also I'd recommend downloading the latest 6.5.2 moOde release from moodeaudio
Hi Tim, 
Thank you for your reply and for posting the screenshots. I'm really impressed with the level of optimisation available in Moode right out of a browser interface! I really wasn't expecting that.
I can't see a sort option for AlbumArtist in the screen shots though. Please could you explain, if possible, how 
I could configure so that I can see/browse my albums in alpha order by AlbumArtist, rather than by Artist (thus avoiding having a whole bunch of albums at the end under Various Artists).

I'm not sure that the compilation identifier will work because I've edited the AlbumArtist tag by adding an artist name that is meaningful to me. They're no longer tagged as Various Artist.
Many thanks.
Again like most players, both Album Artist and Artist tags contribute to the library's list of artists.

Compilation albums are often tagged with an album artist of Various Artists but a mix album presented by an Artist or an Artist album that has different feature artists on tracks should be Album Artist tagged appropriately, for those you'll find under whatever artist is in the Album Artist tag.
This is normal behaviour and not unique to mpd or Moode.
AlbumArtist sort is not needed because the AlbumArtist tag takes precedence over the Artist tag in the Library.

The "by Artist" sort for Album view is effectively "by AlbumArtist"
Enjoy the Music!
(06-10-2020, 09:11 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: AlbumArtist sort is not needed because the AlbumArtist tag takes precedence over the Artist tag in the Library.

The "by Artist" sort for Album view is effectively "by AlbumArtist"

Thanks Tim. That's really clear. Perfect. I've ordered the PRi and a new DAC and I'm really looking forward to getting it all up and running.
(06-10-2020, 08:58 PM)vinnn Wrote: Again like most players, both Album Artist and Artist tags contribute to the library's list of artists.

Compilation albums are often tagged with an album artist of Various Artists but a mix album presented by an Artist or an Artist album that has different feature artists on tracks should be Album Artist tagged appropriately, for those you'll find under whatever artist is in the Album Artist tag.
This is normal behaviour and not unique to mpd or Moode.

Thank you vinnn for your help.