Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi4b -> Schiit Mimby via USB. Can I do better?
Hi All,
I have a RPi4b feeding my Schiit Modi Multibit (latest) via USB and, for the most part, it sounds pretty good.. a lot better than my receiver’s upnp and internal DAC. Though, given the grief that the Mimby’s USB interface gets, I wonder how much better a SPDIF HAT would sound instead. Has anyone here got a suggestion for me? I don’t want to spend too much money fixing the USB problem with the Mimby, since at some point it becomes more cost-effective to just buy a new DAC. Would I see a great improvement buying the Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO for $40. Anyway, I can’t see that it makes sense to invest too much on the transport side of things, thinking about how well newer dacs have implemented USB inputs, but just curious whether I could see a nice leap in performance with a decent SPDIF HAT. Thoughts? Anyone with such experience with the RPi4 and the Gen 2 Schiit USBs? 

Thanks!
A much better SPDIF HAT is Allo's DigiOne HAT... but with a $60 hike...
(08-06-2020, 05:29 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: A much better SPDIF HAT is Allo's DigiOne HAT... but with a $60 hike...

I had problems with the new USB implementation on Schiits's Modius, so I experimented with a SPDIF HAT (HiFiBerry Digi+) just to see. The result was a much better sound and no problems when there was a switch in sampling rates that I was experiencing. As I said, it was an experiment with a low-cost SPDIF HAT. With the improved sound I am thinking of getting the Allo DigiOne Player for a permanent solution. Just my two-cents. Cheers.
Interesting. I was going to post something similar and then I saw this thread. I just tried my 2 year old Modi with a pi 3B+ that normally drives a Hifiberry Digi+. I used a recording that has been problematic, Fretwork doing a William Byrd compilation as a test. Viols can sound weird and vary a lot depending on your playback equipment. Not very scientific because I can't set up real time switching but I think I liked the external DAC better. For me there's a logistical problem because I use the USB input on the Modi for watching video on my tablet. What are the problems with the Modi USB?

[quote=
Hi All,
I have a RPi4b feeding my Schiit Modi Multibit (latest) via USB and, for the most part, it sounds pretty good.. a lot better than my receiver’s upnp and internal DAC. Though, given the grief that the Mimby’s USB interface gets, I wonder how much better a SPDIF HAT would sound instead. Has anyone here got a suggestion for me? I don’t want to spend too much money fixing the USB problem with the Mimby, since at some point it becomes more cost-effective to just buy a new DAC. Would I see a great improvement buying the Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO for $40. Anyway, I can’t see that it makes sense to invest too much on the transport side of things, thinking about how well newer dacs have implemented USB inputs, but just curious whether I could see a nice leap in performance with a decent SPDIF HAT. Thoughts? Anyone with such experience with the RPi4 and the Gen 2 Schiit USBs? 

Thanks!
[/quote]
My issue is with the Modius and the new Unison USB. When I switched radio stations I got a disturbing transient signal that sounded like a buzz. It lasted until the Modius resolved any difference in sampling rates between the stations and was different in duration, intensity and frequency with each stream. As i said, moving to the SPDIF input fixed the issue. I reached out the the Schiit people and they were not able to offer any solution. They maintain that they adhere to the new UAC(2) standard. No fix on the Moode end seemed to offer any relief either.
(08-10-2020, 04:29 PM)Geojanitor Wrote: My issue is with the Modius and the new Unison USB. .....................snip.................. I reached out the the Schiit people and they were not able to offer any solution. They maintain that they adhere to the new UAC(2) standard. No fix on the Moode end seemed to offer any relief either.

Incorrect... you should say (Linux) Raspberry Pi OS formerly known as Raspbian... by the way, you could approach Raspberry Pi on this subject...
My guess is that the Raspberry Pi OS folks will be just as nonplussed as we are.

The "new" UAC2 standard was published a decade ago. This is not new business!

I'm in awe of any company which goes off to invents its own implementation of a major spec like USB and its UAC parts. Most vendors use the same few bespoke interface chips. I wonder how Schiit establishes that they "adhere" to the standard.

For an interesting cross section of user reactions, see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...con.11143/

Regards,
Kent