Thank you for your donation!

how to play my music on the phone
Hello !

I kicked volumio to install moodeaudio because I though I would find here the only feature I was missing... But I'm not sure anymore I may find it.

I love tools like volumio, moodeaudio or openelec, were you can play any music on your stereo, just by swiping on your phone. But once my music is properly sorted and made accessible to the raspberry in my livingroom, I would like to be able to access it, on my phone (when I'm driving or taking the train for exemple)... Like I do witth deezer or spotifiy... A deezer but only with my favorite music, the one I throughfully tagged and sorted...

is it possible to do this with moodeaudio ?
It sounds like what you want is an app on your phone that will access the media files on your home NAS while you are out and about.

If you are on Android, BubbleUPNP should be able to do it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_AU

You would need to set up your network to make your NAS remotely accessible.

EDIT: From what I can see, with BubbleUPNP you can access MoOde if you enable its UPnP/DLNA server function and then play the files on your phone either in your domicile or remotely.
(08-28-2020, 02:20 AM)rhizomusicosmos Wrote: It sounds like what you want is an app on your phone that will access the media files on your home NAS while you are out and about.

If you are on Android, BubbleUPNP should be able to do it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_AU

You would need to set up your network to make your NAS remotely accessible.

EDIT: From what I can see, with BubbleUPNP you can access MoOde if you enable its UPnP/DLNA server function and then play the files on your phone either in your domicile or remotely.

Merci !

I'll have a look to this app (and I'll try to setup everything to make it work). However, it is a bit sad :
  • to install an app, where a (mobile) web browser would have been enough
  • to have a different interface, when moodeaudio is already a web server based solution
  • to stream (hence re-encode) a content which is already perfectly compatible of every modern browser (ie. all my collection is encoded with opus)
I hope this feature : UPnP/DLNA media servers on your local network doesn't mean what I guess it means Smile
(08-27-2020, 06:59 PM)yoochan Wrote: Hello !

I kicked volumio to install moodeaudio because I though I would find here the only feature I was missing... But I'm not sure anymore I may find it.

I love tools like volumio, moodeaudio or openelec, were you can play any music on your stereo, just by swiping on your phone. But once my music is properly sorted and made accessible to the raspberry in my livingroom, I would like to be able to access it, on my phone (when I'm driving or taking the train for exemple)... Like I do witth deezer or spotifiy... A deezer but only with my favorite music, the one I throughfully tagged and sorted...

Possible? Maybe, but it's not a secure configuration since you would need to expose moOde, it's WebUI and built-in HTTP streaming server to the Public Internet, at your own risk!

Your home Router prolly has a screen that lets you map LAN (internal) host+port numbers to the WAN side. The moOde WebUI is on port 80 and the HTTP streaming server is on port 8000 (or whatever port you configure it for). You would map host moode (or it's IP address), port 80 and port 8000 to corresponding WAN ports. You would prolly map LAN 80 to to WAN 8080 and LAN 8000 to WAN 8081. Or you could use obscure port numbers like 32148 and 32149. Something like that.

Then from your phone you would access the WebUI via your Routers WAN IP address, port 8080 and the incoming music stream via WAN IP address, port 8081. For example http://WAN_IP:8080, http://WAN_IP:8081. Remember that anyone could access these ports since they are not secured.

This scheme breaks if your ISP doesn't assign a persistent IP address to the WAN side of your Router.

Btw, I've never tested this config and so while in theory it should work, in practice it may not, and its risky to expose un-secured hosts, or any hosts for that matter, on your home network to the Public Internet. I would never do it myself.
(08-28-2020, 03:06 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Possible? Maybe, but it's not a secure configuration since you would need to expose moOde, it's WebUI and built-in HTTP streaming server to the Public Internet, at your own risk!

Your home Router prolly has a screen that lets you map LAN (internal) host+port numbers to the WAN side. The moOde WebUI is on port 80 and the HTTP streaming server is on port 8000 (or whatever port you configure it for). You would map host moode (or it's IP address), port 80 and port 8000 to corresponding WAN ports. You would prolly map LAN 80 to to WAN 8080 and LAN 8000 to WAN 8081. Or you could use obscure port numbers like 32148 and 32149. Something like that.

Then from your phone you would access the WebUI via your Routers WAN IP address, port 8080 and the incoming music stream via WAN IP address, port 8081. For example http://WAN_IP:8080, http://WAN_IP:8081. Remember that anyone could access these ports since they are not secured.

This scheme breaks if your ISP doesn't assign a persistent IP address to the WAN side of your Router.

Btw, I've never tested this config and so while in theory it should work, in practice it may not, and its risky to expose un-secured hosts, or any hosts for that matter, on your home network to the Public Internet. I would never do it myself.

Indeed, the way you describe it make little sense. Why would I stream to my phone on a different port when I can just use the audio tag on a website which is secured (https + password)...

I started to build a mock up of what I was looking for, the interface is ugly but it work amazingly well !
(indeed, the fact that fiber customers have fixed IP helps)

Now, i'm dreaming of a system where every instance of a small web server could share the available songs in a new style of p2p based, Grooveshark like music system !

EDITED: for clarity... (smileys changed into question marks, I don't know why Big Grin )
(08-29-2020, 07:01 AM)yoochan Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:06 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Indeed, the way you describe it make little sense. Why would I stream to my phone on a different port when I can just use the audio tag on a website which is secured (https + password)...

I started to build a mock up of what I wad looking for, the interface is ugly but it work amazingly well ?
(indeed, the fact that fiber customers have fixed IP helps)

Now, i'm dreaming of a system where every instance of my small server could share the available songs in a new style of p2p based, Grooveshark like music system ?

???? are you certain you understand what it is you have posted ..?

It is possible, but you will need to enable VPN on your phone and have a VPN server at your home and have a fixed IP or at least subscribe to a service like 'noip' to retrieve your home IP.
Your home router may have the option to enable the built in VPN server and dynamic DNS client if it is not a cheap one.
Also fibre or be very close to your telephone exchange if using ADSL for your home internet.
Then you can enable HTTP streaming in the audio config of moOde and use an audio client on your phone and have your music play wherever you are.
Keep one thing in mind if your phone is stolen, the thief will have access to your home network.
Overall, it is not something I would recomend to a user unless they fully understand the security implications of using a VPN and of accessing moOde outside of their home.
Thank you all for your feedbacks !

I understand your concerns about the security and the static IP, but I already run a personnal web server, well secured (https + authentication), on my local network (for personnal use from outside). So this part was not my main issue Big Grin

If I could reframe a little bit the question : let say I want to listen to music from my phone, while lying on my bed, without interrupting my wife which listen to music in the living room (using the standard, server-side, mpd-based audio output).
So I was wondering if moodeaudio had some kind of plug-in or extension to use some kind of html5-based <audio></audio> playback instead of the default mpd-output (for the phone, and for me, the streaming option is not a good option Smile)

The most promising answer I got was to try to setup a DLNA/Upnp service, and find a way to connect bubbleupnp to it. And I thank you for this ^3^
1. Download VLC app to your phone
2. Tap the Network icon
3. Under "File Servers" tap MOODE
4. Enter userid = guest
5. Enter password = xyzzy
6. Tap Connect

You should be able to Browse and play radio stations and songs independent of what's being played in the other room and the audio output will be coming out your phone's speaker or headphone jack.
or buy a 256Gb iPhone, set up iTunes on your PC/NAS, and dump the whole library to the phone. pair of earpods and you're away Smile

works for me - 100GB of music!