Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Protected Mode for Electronics
Question 
Hey all,

I got moOde 7.0.1 up and running over the weekend. And I'd finally had the time hook up my USB DAC to the moOde Pi. Well, I went to power up my Topping D50S and the LCD said "Protect". I thought that ain't good but I could not figure out what had happened.

Well, the low-noise DC power supply I bought was 12V not 5V. Oops. I contacted Topping and they said hook it up to USB and see. I got the reply today at work. My replacement 5V power supply just arrived at home. I was hoping the Topping reply would have been a bit more in depth. Like say, "Oh yes, there's an over-voltage circuit that cuts power in these cases."

So, in general, do electronics that can display at protection status usually has a feature to prevent damage. Or could it just be, "Hey, you're f'ed." I've googled to see if this unit has such protection. I can find protections like this on other DACs, but nothing mentioned specifically on the D50S. I am wondering if I should return the unit or keep it if it does work?

What say you?
(02-03-2021, 03:44 PM)radiooff Wrote: Hey all,

I got moOde 7.0.1 up and running over the weekend. And I'd finally had the time hook up my USB DAC to the moOde Pi. Well, I went to power up my Topping D50S and the LCD said "Protect". I thought that ain't good but I could not figure out what had happened.

Well, the low-noise DC power supply I bought was 12V not 5V. Oops. I contacted Topping and they said hook it up to USB and see. I got the reply today at work. My replacement 5V power supply just arrived at home. I was hoping the Topping reply would have been a bit more in depth. Like say, "Oh yes, there's an over-voltage circuit that cuts power in these cases."

So, in general, do electronics that can display at protection status usually has a feature to prevent damage. Or could it just be, "Hey, you're f'ed." I've googled to see if this unit has such protection. I can find protections like this on other DACs, but nothing mentioned specifically on the D50S. I am wondering if I should return the unit or keep it if it does work?

What say you?

I think you need to establish whether it works or not, the protect message would indicate hopefully that it recognised the higher voltage.
I'm not sure of the rationale in returning it if it works?  If it works as before I would keep it certainly.
(02-03-2021, 06:48 PM)grasshopper Wrote:

What say you?

I think you need to establish whether it works or not, the protect message would indicate hopefully that it recognised the higher voltage.
I'm not sure of the rationale in returning it if it works?  If it works as before I would keep it certainly.
Thanks, I am going to test it in a little bit.
If the display said "Protect", you would imagine that it does have protection. No guarantee of course that the protection is effective with such a massive overvoltage. The other thing is, since you bought the wrong power supply for your unit, Topping would be under no obligation to do anything, if the unit was damaged and you returned it.

All irrelevant if the unit still works OK though.
(02-03-2021, 11:47 PM)Bob_m_54 Wrote: If the display said "Protect", you would imagine that it does have protection. No guarantee of course that the protection is effective with such a massive overvoltage. The other thing is, since you bought the wrong power supply for your unit, Topping would be under no obligation to do anything, if the unit was damaged and you returned it.

All irrelevant if the unit still works OK though.

I tested it last night.

It works. Moode 7.0.1 detected it and I was playing music though my computer speakers. Now I just have to hook it up to my stereo system.

What say you?

Wow,  really?

My first reaction is somebody wanted to sell you another DAC after you blow up this one.   Then I read a little closer and realized they weren't telling you to plug it into 12v and see what happens,  it was plug in correct voltage and see if it's still alive.

If it's still alive on 5v (USB power) and operates normally...    probably, maybe, you dodged a bullet?  Unless this is a pricey unit, its more circuit and programming work to protect and have it display something on the screen,  and I'd not expect them to go to the trouble.  OTOH,  with an external connector,  and a total lack of standardization of black boxes that plug in the wall.... maybe they thought it a good idea to add such.

If you did overvoltage it that much,  and there's no protection,  I'd not feel comfortable with it's long term lifespan.  See if you can get your OVP question answered,  and if it does protect itself... no worries from there.
(02-06-2021, 07:23 PM)JonPike Wrote:

What say you?

Wow,  really?

My first reaction is somebody wanted to sell you another DAC after you blow up this one.   Then I read a little closer and realized they weren't telling you to plug it into 12v and see what happens,  it was plug in correct voltage and see if it's still alive.

If it's still alive on 5v (USB power) and operates normally...    probably, maybe, you dodged a bullet?  Unless this is a pricey unit, its more circuit and programming work to protect and have it display something on the screen,  and I'd not expect them to go to the trouble.  OTOH,  with an external connector,  and a total lack of standardization of black boxes that plug in the wall.... maybe they thought it a good idea to add such.

If you did overvoltage it that much,  and there's no protection,  I'd not feel comfortable with it's long term lifespan.  See if you can get your OVP question answered,  and if it does protect itself... no worries from there.

When I contacted Topping service they said to just plug it to a correct power supply (DC outlet or USB). If it did not work they told me to contact them back.

The D50S was only $250.00, but that's a chunk of money that I don't like to normally part with. So, it works. Also the power supplies I bought, both the wrong one (12V) and the correct one (5V) cost $50.00 each. They are quality power units.

Personally, I thought if the went to all the trouble to program in a "Protect" there would probably be some sort of protection. RCA out works. USB in works. I have not tested BT or optical yet. But I sounds really nice.

The only I had was it took me a while to figure out that the Audio DSD output should not have been Native DSD (Default) but DSD over PCM (DoP).