Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

equalization AND crossfeed
I like using a mild crossfeed when listening to headphones for extended lengths of time. [No forum war, please; for every one of me, there's someone who hates crossfeed. That's why it's an option.]

Now that the PEQ has been extended to 12 bands (aka filters) I find I *really* like being able to compensate my headphone response using, e.g., the lovely AutoEQ compilation.

Ah, but I have to choose between having crossfeed and having equalization. 

Is it possible to have both? I ask because I recently came across this blog entry: https://takla.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/alsa-equalizer-crossfeed-on-debian-stable-squeeze/.

Takla's approach makes sense to this old potzer but I don't understand the moOde/MPD/ALSA interfacing well enough to try implementing it.

Regards,
Kent
What about using camilladsp to (re)create crossfeed with a PEQ in one configuration ?
(03-01-2021, 03:51 PM)bitlab Wrote: What about using camilladsp to (re)create crossfeed with a PEQ in one configuration ?

That was going to be my next question. Angel
I suppose we could do away with all the other equalisers and DSP functions and use CamillaDSP for all of them. But, there is a scale of knowledge needed to get good results that increases from GraphicEQ, through crossfeed, to ParametricEQ and finally CamillaDSP. I'm at the level of understanding how to put parameters worked out by someone else into a ParametricEQ, but also like Kent I like a little crossfeed too. I'm way off understanding even where to start putting something into CamillaDSP that would achieve that.

I suppose I just have to do some learning.
----------------
Robert
@the_bertrum

I feel like I'm only a few pages ahead of you in a very big reading assignment Tongue 

I know the theory but I'm not proficient with the practice.

As a teaser, I've received a private communication showing a trial construction of a crossfeed solution implemented in CamillaDSP. Lots to be done yet, but very promising.

In principle, CamillaDSP can subsume everything else but in practice it's hard to beat the simpler user menus for the existing equalizers. Kinda like using a drill press instead of a 5-axis machining center when all you want to do is make a hole.

Regards,
Kent
(03-02-2021, 03:27 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: In principle, CamillaDSP can subsume everything else but in practice it's hard to beat the simpler user menus for the existing equalizers. Kinda like using a drill press instead of a 5-axis machining center when all you want to do is make a hole.

Nice analogy.  The ultimate would probably to keep the GUI's that exist, but have them create the correct configurations for Camilla to implement the effect.  Then you or I or any other normal mortal could turn on the crossfeed they like, plug in some autoEQ settings for the headphones they use, maybe even add a little treble boost to compensate for the tinnitus Wink, out pops a configuration for Camilla.  We mortals could then at least look at our generated file and perhaps play with it to understand what does what, meanwhile the gods among us can use their super powers to put in the string of digits needed to make their listening room sound just like the front row of the Royal Opera House.

Of course I've just proposed a major re-engineering that I have neither the code skill nor the DSP understanding to even contemplate myself.  As Tim would say, maybe a developer will donate their time....
----------------
Robert
ten years ago, I made two headphones amplifier (Millet Hybrid tube and M3 full class A, Head-Fi boards and DIY projects), specifically to be able to integrate a linkwitz crossfeed analog circuit (tangentsoft at that time provided boards for this) in them.

Amazingly relaxing in comparison to direct. But yes, no debate about that.

Anyway, yes, I'm just learning REW in order to be able to use VanillaDSP into 7.1.0, and true, it's quite steep to catch how to use it.
@the_bertrum I don't think it's such a big step to make.

Just one page called dsp with all the eq option like:
  • crossfeed (several to chose from) from
  • Polarity invert
  • 10 band peq with peak filters
  • L + R gain (to correct for all the filters) and use for balance (if needed)
  • AutoEQ conv profile (only for 44k1 and 48k)
  • ASH-IR-Dataset binaural (only fo 44k1)
  • Resampler options
And:
  • Each option can be separate enabled.
  • Possible to save all settings under a single name.
  • From this settings an CamillaDSP configuration could be generated with the same name.

This will not touch the existing code, so all alsa dsp stuff can be kept in place (makes it also possible to compare a new solution). No breakage to anything.
And indeed it would be great if the active camilladsp configuration is selectable from the regular frontend.
@bitlab You are a proper genius my friend.
----------------
Robert
Hi @bitlab ,

you showed "AutoEQ conv profile (only for 44k1 and 48k)"

Does this mean that if I listen to a 96k file it will not take into account the setting?