Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

UPNP source limit?
I'm experimenting with using a UPNP source.   When I create the source it seems syntactically correct.  When I run the library update it stops after the first directory below the top level directory.  The directory contains about 30K files.  The entire UPNP source has about 100K files.  Is this an MPD limitation? 

The other problem I have is that the UPNP source disappears.  Sometimes I get one play from it and sometimes it won't play a single file. When I refresh the library view the UPNP source disappears although it still shows up on the library config screen.   I'm currently using Moode 7.1 on a pi 3B over wifi.  The files are on a QNAP NAS using the built in DLNA server.  I can access the NAS DLNA source with my phone, tablet, and 10 year old audio receiver.  Over wifi my phone and tablet handle it fine in the room the Pi is in.  

This isn't the end of the earth since SMB works fine.
You'd probably be better just mounting the music share on your nas and indexing the files directly.
Using DLNA will be slower and less efficient and your library will be constrained by the DLNA server's often-limited metadata and library layout.
The bigger problem with using UPnP source is that you have to drill down to the directory that only contains Albums otherwise due to the duplication of information in a UPnP dir tree there will be tons of duplicates indexed by MPD and library size gets out of control.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-01-2021, 04:37 PM)vinnn Wrote: You'd probably be better just mounting the music share on your nas and indexing the files directly.
Using DLNA will be slower and less efficient and your library will be constrained by the DLNA server's often-limited metadata and library layout.

All I care about is folders.  Metadata doesn't matter.  I have 20 years of haphazardlly acquired music organized by folder.  DLNA may be slower than SMB but I've never noticed a perceptible difference in speed.
(04-01-2021, 07:17 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The bigger problem with using UPnP source is that you have to drill down to the directory that only contains Albums otherwise due to the duplication of information in a UPnP dir tree there will be tons of duplicates indexed by MPD and library size gets out of control.

Hmm... There is no directory that contains only albums unless you meant the lowest level ones that contain only music files.  My music is organized by folders more or less on the plan /genre/artist/unit_of_content  where unit_of_content sometimes means an album and sometimes a group of files by the same artist. It can go deeper than 3 levels. Sounds like It's a failed experiment.  Just got a reminder of what's happened before.  When I rescanned for UPNP sources I got a "transport endpoint is not connected." error. 

It's only an experiment.  I was hoping DLNA might mean a faster library build.  When I install an fresh version of Moode the SMB source library build takes 3 hours or more.  I have too much music.  <g>
(04-01-2021, 11:48 PM)nosferatu_cat Wrote: Hmm... There is no directory that contains only albums unless you meant the lowest level ones that contain only music files.  My music is organized by folders more or less on the plan /genre/artist/unit_of_content  where unit_of_content sometimes means an album and sometimes a group of files by the same artist. It can go deeper than 3 levels. Sounds like It's a failed experiment.  Just got a reminder of what's happened before.  When I rescanned for UPNP sources I got a "transport endpoint is not connected." error. 

It's only an experiment.  I was hoping DLNA might mean a faster library build.  When I install an fresh version of Moode the SMB source library build takes 3 hours or more.  I have too much music.  <g>

Yup, there are limitations to what can be achieved by ‘UPnP Source' but don’t dismiss DNLA/UPnP outright - there’s some exceptionally potent UPnP Servers out there which work well alongside MoOde.  Minimserver is a good example of what I’m referring to here, as is Asset UPnP.
(04-01-2021, 11:48 PM)nosferatu_cat Wrote: Hmm... There is no directory that contains only albums

This is referring to the UPnP "pseudo folder" that ytour UPnP server generates. There will be (probably) Music, with Artists, Albums, Genres, etc. You need to point your "music source" in moOde at the "Albums" folder presented by your UPnP server.
----------------
Robert