Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide MOSBuilder: howto prevent installing the additional components (after step 13)
Dear all,

I'm a newbie here in the forum. Discussions here are very helpful, unfortunately some obstacles occur.

I was installing moOde audio acc. to build recipe v2.5, everything went well except the USB HDD (SDD, 256 GB) is not recognized (maybe because formatted in FAT32). So I reinstalled using the MOS-builder and realised that all additional components (after step 13) are installed automatically. Is there a chance to prevent this and to install only the ones needed? (btw, USB HDD is still not recognized)

My guess would be to delete lines 843 to 1221 in the mosbuild_worker.sh. Is this correct? Where to put the modified mosbuild_worker.sh that it will be executed during automated install? Any further modifications required, e.g. in the mosbuild.sh?

Cheers, AnnaBlume
(09-06-2018, 09:36 AM)AnnaBlume Wrote: Dear all,

I'm a newbie here in the forum. Discussions here are very helpful, unfortunately some obstacles occur.

I was installing moOde audio acc. to build recipe v2.5, everything went well except the USB HDD (SDD, 256 GB) is not recognized (maybe because formatted in FAT32). So I reinstalled using the MOS-builder and realised that all additional components (after step 13) are installed automatically. Is there a chance to prevent this and to install only the ones needed? (btw, USB HDD is still not recognized)

My guess would be to delete lines 843 to 1221 in the mosbuild_worker.sh. Is this correct? Where to put the modified mosbuild_worker.sh that it will be executed during automated install? Any further modifications required, e.g. in the mosbuild.sh?

Cheers, AnnaBlume

Hi AnnaBlume... have you done  Moode>Configure>Sources>Update MPD Database.....?
This will take a little while depending on the size and number of files on your USB HD.

From what I recall if you want to leave out any components then you're on your own as it can't be certain that the build will be functional and issue free...so no support.
FWIW  I have tried that and there is no advantage vs a full build.
The overhead is the same and if you look through the various config screens you will see that many of the features are opt in so not enabled by default and others can be disabled simply with a checkbox.
----------
bob
hi bob,

I did 'update', 'Reset', etc. - no chance to get the flac-files on the USB SDD scanned and included inot the media library. I'll reformat to ext4 and try again. Keep you updated.

As these optional components are not mandatory when processing the manual installation via build recipe v2.5 there must not be any impact on the system when omitting. The reason why I don´t want to include some of the optional components is reducing all potential risks. btw thats the reason why I don´t give volumio a try because google tracking is part of the distribution and cannot be switched off (in the past there was also tracking by facebook included in volumio, it´s now removed).

Another thing is strange in the automated installation: squasch fs is skipped, the optional Linux kernel 4.14.54 is mandatory. In the manual installation I have the choice whether to install or not. Maybe I put this on the wishlist for future release.

cheers, AnnaBlume
(09-06-2018, 01:30 PM)AnnaBlume Wrote: hi bob,

I did 'update', 'Reset', etc. - no chance to get the flac-files on the USB SDD scanned and included inot the media library. I'll reformat to ext4 and try again. Keep you updated.

As these optional components are not mandatory when processing the manual installation via build recipe v2.5 there must not be any impact on the system when omitting. The reason why I don´t want to include some of the optional components is reducing all potential risks. btw thats the reason why I don´t give volumio a try because google tracking is part of the distribution and cannot be switched off (in the past there was also tracking by facebook included in volumio, it´s now removed).

Another thing is strange in the automated installation: squasch fs is skipped, the optional Linux kernel 4.14.54 is mandatory. In the manual installation I have the choice whether to install or not. Maybe I put this on the wishlist for future release.

cheers, AnnaBlume

Hi, @AnnaBlume

I can't speak to your problem with your USB drive but will see if I can repro with an extra drive here. Are you saying you can't build an image on it or you can't mount it as a music source to a working moOde player?

As for the build options (including updating the kernel), if you examine the MoodeOS builder script (mosbuild.sh) you'll see that the ability to ask the user about them is there but commented out. This script works in concert with the properties it finds in the file mosbuild.properties which it downloads.

In past experiments, I've simply downloaded both and modified them to suit my own purposes---my modified mosbuild.sh read my modified local copy of mosbuild.properties. You can do this too but I haven't done it since last spring when I finished experimenting. 

I don't see the optional options as an increased risk factor but that's your decision to make. As you note, they are options.

Regards,
Kent
(09-06-2018, 03:41 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 01:30 PM)AnnaBlume Wrote: hi bob,

cheers, AnnaBlume

Hi, @AnnaBlume

I can't speak to your problem with your USB drive but will see if I can repro with an extra drive here. Are you saying you can't build an image on it or you can't mount it as a music source to a working moOde player?

As for the build options (including updating the kernel), if you examine the MoodeOS builder script (mosbuild.sh) you'll see that the ability to ask the user about them is there but commented out. This script works in concert with the properties it finds in the file mosbuild.properties which it downloads.

In past experiments, I've simply downloaded both and modified them to suit my own purposes---my modified mosbuild.sh read my modified local copy of mosbuild.properties. You can do this too but I haven't done it since last spring when I finished experimenting. 

I don't see the optional options as an increased risk factor but that's your decision to make. As you note, they are options.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent,
thank you for instant reply. Problem is that I can`t mount USB HDD (SDD, 256GB; FAT32, USB 3.0 plug, 'usb_max_current=1' in 'config.txt') as music source. This appeared with both images, the automated install and the manual one via build recipe v2.5.
Currently I'm reformatting the external HDD to EXT4 and copying back the flac files - that takes some time.
Thank you for the hint re 'mosbuild.properties', I'll give it a try.
Another strange thing I´d like to report: when a USB stick as music container is plugged in and the system is rebooted, it doesn't start because of the USB stick still in the RPI (I assume RPI tries to boot from the USB stick). In moodeaudio config menu USB boot is enabled and cannot be reset. I feel I have to change it in the BIOS?

Cheers, AnnaBlume
(09-06-2018, 04:40 PM)AnnaBlume Wrote: Hi Kent,
thank you for instant reply. Problem is that I can`t mount USB HDD (SDD, 256GB; FAT32, USB 3.0 plug, 'usb_max_current=1' in 'config.txt') as music source. This appeared with both images, the automated install and the manual one via build recipe v2.5.
Currently I'm reformatting the external HDD to EXT4 and copying back the flac files - that takes some time.
Another strange thing I´d like to report: when a USB stick as music container is plugged in and the system is rebooted, it doesn't start because of the USB stick still in the RPI (I assume RPI tries to boot from the USB stick). In moodeaudio config menu USB boot is enabled and cannot be reset. I feel I have to change it in the BIOS?

Cheers, AnnaBlume

I just mounted a USB2.0 1TB Western Digital HD to my moOde player via a powered USB hub. No problem. Note that it's formatted for Windows usage.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1058:25e1 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000170586112 bytes, 1953458176 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 3EB9CA8A-42D5-4C4A-8331-985429585915

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1   2048 1953456127 1953454080 931.5G Microsoft basic data

pi@moode:~ $ mount
/dev/sda1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)

I wonder if you are drawing too much current via the USB port, especially with a USB3.0 interface?

As for booting, I powered a system down, added both this drive via powered USB hub and a USB thumbdrive directly to one of the USB ports on the RPi, then powered up. Both drives are mounted and show up in the Music/Browse tab.

I wonder if your USB thumbdrive has been formatted to be bootable and hence pronging the boot process.

Just conjecture.

Regards,
Kent
(09-06-2018, 05:25 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 04:40 PM)AnnaBlume Wrote: Hi Kent,

Cheers, AnnaBlume

I just mounted a USB2.0 1TB Western Digital HD to my moOde player via a powered USB hub. No problem. Note that it's formatted for Windows usage.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1058:25e1 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000170586112 bytes, 1953458176 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 3EB9CA8A-42D5-4C4A-8331-985429585915

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1   2048 1953456127 1953454080 931.5G Microsoft basic data

pi@moode:~ $ mount
/dev/sda1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)

I wonder if you are drawing too much current via the USB port, especially with a USB3.0 interface?

As for booting, I powered a system down, added both this drive via powered USB hub and a USB thumbdrive directly to one of the USB ports on the RPi, then powered up. Both drives are mounted and show up in the Music/Browse tab.

I wonder if your USB thumbdrive has been formatted to be bootable and hence pronging the boot process.

Just conjecture.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,
re bootable formatting of USB stick: that was my clue as well. Now the stick is formatted EXT4, and the system is booting now smooth even if USB stick is plugged in. (formerly I was using this stick with a bootable CentOS image, maybe the boot sector was eliminated when formatting to FAT32 first).

Unfortunately there is still no music from USB source (for testing I'm using now the USB stick instead of the external HDD). The log file shows the USB stick is recognized:

20180906 211947 worker: USB source (f0357162-9ce0-4637-a9cd-da2aa7182051)

There are 16GB flac files on the stick. Tomorrow I'll reinstall the image that I've created manually by following the instructions of recipe v2.5 knowing that the USB stick was recognized with this image.

re powering up USB ports: That was for testing with the external HDD that's not powered individually and not plugged in via hub. For testing purposes I wanted to exclude low power for the HDD as failure reason.

I'm located in Germany and will revert tomorrow.
Cheers, AnnaBlume
Check MPD log to determine why no song files are being added.

cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-06-2018, 11:54 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Check MPD log to determine why no song files are being added.

cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim

Hello Tim & Kent,

it was quite a way to determine & solve the problem: It looks like as if the controller of the external drive is damaged: I put the SSD-drive into another case, and it worked. Putting back the SSD - no drive found. Strange, as the case with the "damaged" controller is recognized by my W7, W10 and CentOS-machines. Anyway, now moode works perfectly, and indexing of 10k plus titles is very fast.

As my system should be a stand alone system and should look neat and tidy, I´ll now integrate the data storage into the system: I'll add an additional board (M.2 SATA to USB converter (Lycom Pi-112)) containing a 512GB SSD. System will look like: RPI 3B+; M.2 to USB-converter, Allo BOSS v1.2, Allo VOLT. I'll post pics and experinces if finished under another thread.

Thank you very much for your helpful comments.
AnnaBlume
Wow, didn't see that one coming! Glad to hear you've sorted it out.

Regards,
Kent