Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

OLED or LCD 16x2 Display (with I2C)?
Hi, I made some work this weekend, mainly finishing the wooden case.
On software side, I completed the python code to get info from MPD :
1) playing track, author, elapsed time and freq in Khz
2) Radio name and track when Web Radio is played
3) IP address and datetime when the system doesn't playing anything
4) During start-up and shutdown, "welcome" and "bye" messages are shown 

Well, is more or less completed, waiting to work with a real display wired to the RPi (now, for testing purpose, the output is printed on the console).

I'm start to search the equivalent piece of code for a 16x2 OLED Display (using also I2C interface, of course). But in this case, the code seems to be more complex. I found a python fragment to drive Winstar OLED display, composed by a kind of OLED driver, a "page.py" piece of code and a "raspidac.py" main program....
The problems for me are (mainly for my poor knowledge of Linux systems....):
1 ) How can I download the right packages , and from which location 
2) What's the meaning of the "page.py" code?
3) There are sections in the "driver" code, for managing RuneAudio, Spotify, LMS. Can I remove them to make the code simpler?
4) Is there a step-by-step walkthrough about that? I've searched but didn't find anything.....
5) The code does'nt contain the I2C part....it suppose to manage the display directly from the GPIO.....

And last but no least, is the OLED solution really better than the LCD one?

thanks, and apologize for the (probably) clearness....

Andrea
I did something similar to your script using the luma.oled library.  It's a nice library but has a few dependencies.  

Follow install instructions for the Luma OLED library here: https://github.com/sharkusk/luma.examples

You can find the moode script I use here: https://github.com/sharkusk/luma.example...s/moode.py  I've tested it with a 128x64 I2C OLED (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1L...=UTF8&th=1) and a 128x128 4-bit SPI OLED.

-Marcus
Yes for me the oled display is significantly better than the lcd. It has to do with the contrast. Unlike the lcd, the oled background completely black. I am using this one with moode. If this is the one you want I can point you to the right script.

Remy
I have OLED on my RaspDAC streamer. Here is my thread if anyone is interested. You may find some interested information in it, and you can also search the whole Audiophonics forum
<marquee behavior="alternate" scrolldelay=150
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

</marquee>
(04-16-2018, 11:11 PM)remy1961 Wrote: Yes for me the oled display is significantly better than the lcd. It has to do with the contrast. Unlike the lcd, the oled background completely black. I am using this one with moode. If this is the one you want I can point you to the right script.

Remy

of course, if possible, I'd like to take a look to your script!
Anyway... I'm a little bit confused about the different interfaces an OLED display can support: SPI, 4bit/8bit parallel.. etc.
I'm asking myself if the models yiu have linked shall support I2C interface too...and how..

Thanks in advance

Andrea
(04-17-2018, 05:01 AM)mancio61 Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 11:11 PM)remy1961 Wrote: Yes for me the oled display is significantly better than the lcd. It has to do with the contrast. Unlike the lcd, the oled background completely black. I am using this one with moode. If this is the one you want I can point you to the right script.

Remy

of course, if possible, I'd like to take a look to your script!
Anyway... I'm a little bit confused about the different interfaces an OLED display can support: SPI, 4bit/8bit parallel.. etc.
I'm asking myself if the models yiu have linked shall support I2C interface too...and how..

Thanks in advance

Andrea

Not sure it supports I2C. Mine is connected 8bits parallel. 
Remy
rikardo1979 I have a question if your library - script will work with OLED display 2x16 characters Winstar WEH001602ALPP5N00001