Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problems with a large collection
Hello,

I have an Rpi 3B+, powered by a 5 amp SMPS and an Allo Boss 1.2 DAC powered by a 1.5 amp linear power supply. I have a large music collection mounted on a Qnap TS453A NAS. The Pi is connected via 2g wifi to a router and the router to the NAS by cat 6 cable. (LAN not WAN) The collection on the NAS is approximately 1.4 TB, mostly flacs.

mo0de (4.4) runs fine until I point it to the collection on the NAS, after which it is essentially non-functional exhibiting long load times, failed loads, long wait times, crashes, stuttered playback, non-functional interface, etc.

I have tried three clients, a phone, a tablet, (both Chrome) and a pc running Linux (Firefox) all with similar results. I have checked the loads on the Rpi, the NAS and the clients and they are all nominal. I have also checked memory everywhere and there is plenty to spare.

Even when mo0de is non-functional I can play music by sshing into the Rpi and using a command line client like mpc.

I sent this report to Tim and he asked me to post it here with as much detail as possible. If you need any more info let me know.

Best,

John
Hi John,

How many tracks?

Examine MPD log and post a sample of any errors that appear related to MPD database update.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-24-2018, 12:51 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi John,

How many tracks?

Examine MPD log and post a sample of any errors that appear related to MPD database update.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim

Hey Tim, I'll write a little script to count them and have a look at the logs. Back tomorrow.

John
(12-24-2018, 01:15 AM)Listener Wrote:

How many tracks?

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim

Hey Tim, I'll write a little script to count them and have a look at the logs. Back tomorrow.

John

There you go: 'exception playlist too large'

John
Are u trying to add your entire collection to the main Playlist ???
Enjoy the Music!
(12-24-2018, 02:51 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are u trying to add your entire collection to the main Playlist ???

No, well, errr..., maybe. I wanted to shuffle a portion of my collection so I clicked on a directory and selected clear and play. I now gather that creates a play list. Is there another way to shuffle a large collection?

John

How many tracks?

Approximately 32,000 in that directory tree.

John
(12-25-2018, 08:08 PM)Listener Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 02:51 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are u trying to add your entire collection to the main Playlist ???

No, well, errr..., maybe. I wanted to shuffle a portion of my collection so I clicked on a directory and selected clear and play. I now gather that creates a play list. Is there another way to shuffle a large collection?

John

Try Auto-shuffle :-)

Turn it on in Audio config, then on the Playback panel click the Random button. You should also see the consume button light up.

If you want Auto-shuffle to play only a portion of your collection then open the Customize screen and enter  an Auto-shuffle filter string.
Enjoy the Music!
(12-25-2018, 08:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try Auto-shuffle :-)

Turn it on in Audio config, then on the Playback panel click the Random button. You should also see the consume button light up.

If you want Auto-shuffle to play only a portion of your collection then open the Customize screen and enter  an Auto-shuffle filter string.

I see, said the blind man. Smile

John
...and he bumped into the wall….
 :@