Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

New feature v 5 HTTP streaming
(03-09-2019, 10:23 PM)jonners Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 06:38 PM)JST1963 Wrote: Use your phone for instance, type in the IP address of your moOde player and add ":8000" assuming you left it all at default.
So in my case I would use in a browser on my cellphone: 192.168.1.77:8000
and then after pressing start you can listen to the music on your smartphone. Cool hé...
Of course your moOde player itself must be running.

Johan

Does that mean that if you were streaming on that IP I could connect and listen to Radio Johan from anywhere that has the internet? 
(Don't worry, I'm not planning to do that.) Big Grin

Sure, absolutely! You use that IP, Jonners, and you're in my living room!!!
 :@
That won't work.

You would first need to create a port forwarding rule in your Router that allowed remote hosts on the Public Internet to access your Pi on your private LAN.

But I wouldn't recommend doing this because moOde is not a secure platform. If for example a malicious hacker gained control of the Pi on your LAN who knows what could happen :-O
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
ehm...Tim, thanks for explaining that to us. For a minute now I thought I also had to feed Jonners....
 :@
Have 5 up and running now. Out of the box the streaming feature does not work for me. Too bad it would have been great to have a portable moOde radio. 

IT IS NOT a moOde issue. 

My access to the internet is through an ATT NGV589 router/modem and wifi is an Orbi 50. Perhaps there is a solution which I intend to research but for now I prefer to skip this feature and move to exploring the others part of this release. If I find a solution down the road will be sure to update forum.
The streaming service is working just fine.  When enabled, it's accessible from any device connected to the IP subnet your moOde player is on, just as the moOde Web-UI is. By default, the UI is served via port 80 while the streaming audio is served via port 8000. These are "well known" port numbers for these services.

<net-nanny hat on>

Please, oh, please, even if you read the manual for your router and figure out how to forward either of these ports to the Internet (and set up dynamic dns somewhere so you can find them by name), *don't do it!* Especially port 80. As Tim said, moOde is not a secure platform. (This is not a problem unique to moOde!)

The Internet is a wild and woolly place these days. The black hats out there have automated software scanning virtually the entire Internet 24/7 looking for targets of opportunity (you can see it in firewall logs) and an open port [1] is a shining beacon to them. To my way of thinking, the risk of having your RPi become their penetration-testing device on your LAN outweighs the dubious benefit of listening to a stream from your moOde player while away from it.

While I'm at it, please don't forward any UPnP ports from any device on your LAN either. UPnP is notoriously insecure technology. 

<net-nanny hat off>

Regards,
Kent

[1] You can visit Steve Gibson's Internet security vulnerability profiling services at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 if you are curious about how your network looks from the outside.
Btw, I've changed the default encoder for the HTTP stream to LAME instead of FLAC. This is for max compatibility with 3rd party players. iTunes for example won't play FLAC encoded streams...
Enjoy the Music!
Thumbs Up 
Thanks Team!

Pi running MoOde + Wireguard = secure tunes everywhere - better than poking http through to the WildWildWeb

Once Wireguard has been included in the kernel it'll be great - until then people can manually install:

https://github.com/adrianmihalko/raspberrypiwireguard
VPN is the way to go for sure :-)
Enjoy the Music!
I have 5 beta with patch 1 applied and was able to open port 8000. Using my son's Iphone no problem streaming but on my android it worked before I applied patch 1 but after the patch http streaming not working on Android. I have tried clearing both firefox and chrome cache but that did nothing. Anyone else having difficulty streaming Android?
(03-15-2019, 03:25 AM)Onionhead Wrote: I have 5 beta with patch 1 applied and was able to open port 8000. Using my son's Iphone no problem streaming but on my android it worked before I applied patch 1 but after the patch http streaming not working on Android. I have tried clearing both firefox and chrome cache but that did nothing. Anyone else having difficulty streaming Android?

@Onionhead

What Android phone? What app (I infer you've tried Chrome and Firefox web browsers, but it never hurts to ask).

I just tried my Nexus 6P (Android 8.1) phone. Whether 'casting from moOde r50c or moOde r50c-patch1, I'm able to listen to my stream using either Chrome or Firefox browser. 

Disappointingly, my go-to media playback tool VLC in Android sez it's unable to open the stream no matter the encoding or the patch level.

Regards,
Kent