Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Playback return from config windows
lol, it literally would take all Summer to revamp the configs.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-13-2019, 09:05 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: we seem to have moved a little away from the original post so at the risk of re-railing the thread here is it repeated... Wink

At the top of the config windows is a tab menu for...Library Audio Network System ...

Can we add 'Playback' to that instead of having to mouse-top-left and click several times (depending on how far drilled down we are into Audio etc)
like the old tabs at the bottom in previous releases

Smile

There are only 2 levels so should only be max of 2 taps to get back to Playback.

Is there a particular config screen that u use a lot thats prompting the need to instantly return to Playback? If its something thats a common usage scenario then it might make sense to have a dedicated "return to Playback" button for that particular screen.
Enjoy the Music!
The 'Mpd Options-edit settings' tab that is 2 clicks to get back..... many of these settings restart mpd but playback has to be restarted to check that the setting selected is what is required so 2 clicks to get back...then click play.... rinse and repeat if needed.

This is confusing as other config screens only need one click so I often find I have given one click in the mpd screen but wonder why nothing has happened...  lol. Smile

The other point is the mousing top left....it is an unintuitive and long stretch in desktop mouse usage.... several o/s have tried similar layouts by moving the minimise/maximise/close buttons to the top left and user pressure had them moved back to the right (Ubuntu's Unity Desktop being the prime example)
The current layout has most of the access at top centre or the bottom bar except that one odd back arrow in the top left. Reinstating a playback option in the centre top menu would resolve this inconsistency.
----------
bob
From Playback screen if Menu, Configure, MPD then only 1 tap to get back. From Audio config EDIT OPTIONS then 2 taps to get back. I'm referring to how it works in moOde 5 final (not released yet).

The usage scenario though for easily starting playback from the MPD config screen seems reasonable. It's similar to the Play button on the EQ's that allows changes to the settings to be easily evaluated.

Here are some alternatives to adding a dedicated Playback button to the button bar in the header.

1. Add a Play button to MPD config screen.
2. Add a Playback item to the main menu when on the configs.
Enjoy the Music!
First preference would be...'A dedicated Playback button to the button bar in the header.'  Then it's always there and accessible no matter where you are.

Your other options...
 1. Add a Play button to MPD config screen.       That could work..

2. Add a Playback item to the main menu when on the configs.   Not so good as Play is still 2 clicks away and the option is hidden...you have to open the config menu to find it.

Currently my workaround is to open two instances of MoOde in my browser and leave one at playback and use the other to navigate to the config page then toggle between the two..... not ideal but it works.
----------
bob
(04-13-2019, 11:49 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: First preference would be...'A dedicated Playback button to the button bar in the header.'  Then it's always there and accessible no matter where you are.

If you do configure > mpd (which brings up the mpd options page) then clicking the arrow does exactly what an explicit “playback” button would. Tim’s point was that if there is something that needs to be done often enough that this is tedious then maybe there needs to be a way to test the current mpd configuration while still on the page a la the eq settings pages.

I should add that IMO pushing the save button should exit that screen just like cancel does (well, did) in which case you wouldn’t have to mouse top or left any further than that.
(04-14-2019, 04:22 AM)swizzle Wrote: If you do configure > mpd (which brings up the mpd options page) then clicking the arrow does exactly what an explicit “playback” button would.

Good point ! Yes that works as a one click solution to return to playback...Thanks Smile
----------
bob
(04-13-2019, 07:26 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: At the top of the config windows is a tab menu for...Library Audio Network System ...

Can we add 'Playback' to that instead of having to mouse-top-left and click several times (depending on how far drilled down we are into Audio etc)

Smile

+1000000000000

I found this so annoying yesterday when configuring Moode 5.0 from scratch.

One of the updates planned for moOde 5 is an Easy Setup screen that consolidates the most common initial settings into one place. As @swizzle says the configs currently are a bit too compartmentalized.

If we can agree on a common set of initial settings it will help get this update done sooner rather than later :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(04-15-2019, 12:37 PM)philrandal Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 07:26 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: At the top of the config windows is a tab menu for...Library Audio Network System ...

Smile

+1000000000000

I found this so annoying yesterday when configuring Moode 5.0 from scratch.

I probably configure moode more than most so have the sequence pretty much down to a science:

1) network tab set wireless network, moode says to reboot, ignore that and
2) tap audio tab and do that setup, moode says to reboot, ignore that and
3) tap system tab and do system stuff, I always expand the file system which wants a reboot which I normally do at this point but I set mpd to the newer version in step 2 which started the library rebuild so I waited for that to finish then rebooted
4) should still be in config, tap library tab and set options I always forget, and usually start mpd update
5) once that’s done start thumbnail process 
6) exit config and set up appearance

One reboot, no dipping in and out of the config screens, it’s pretty easy.