Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Update or Rescan not picking everything up...
I noticed that not everything is being picked up by an update/rescan. So I went into the CLI and looked at permissions of folders/files...

I found that a lot of the offending folders/files didn't have "group" and "other" permissions set to wrx. I applied "wrx" to "go" and now more music shows up, but not all of it.

ex. sudo chmod -R go+wrx /path/to/folder

Any ideas what might be preventing these files / folders from being added to my library?
(04-20-2018, 01:05 PM)Mullet Wrote: I noticed that not everything is being picked up by an update/rescan. So I went into the CLI and looked at permissions of folders/files...

I found that a lot of the offending folders/files didn't have "group" and "other" permissions set to wrx. I applied "wrx" to "go" and now more music shows up, but not all of it.

ex. sudo chmod -R go+wrx /path/to/folder

Any ideas what might be preventing these files / folders from being added to my library?

@Mullet

These are excessively permissive permissions but at least they showed you the files previously hidden to moOde. Since you're comfortable working from the CLI, look at the permissions from /mnt/SDCARD down to /mnt/SDCARD/Stereo Test/LRMonoPhase4.flac as a working example. 

It's a well known problem across all players based on mpd that it stops scanning when, for example, it hits a file with bad metadata. I'm away from my desktop and can't access my notes but there are ways to determine the offending files. 

Regards,
Kent
Examine MPD log

cat /var/log/mpd/log

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Time to update music files on NAS ( via WIFI) for the first time on fresh Moode install takes far less time to complete when compared to subsequent updates / rescans. I am using a  RPi3 B without a WIFI extender.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? If so have you found any tweaks to reduce the time ?
Yeah I'm not worried about the permissions... they're only music files stored on this particular HD. I can remove permissions if they're not necessary though.

It seems like offending metadata might be the culprit though. I'm waiting with baited breath on the solution.
(04-21-2018, 12:54 AM)Mullet Wrote: Yeah I'm not worried about the permissions... they're only music files stored on this particular HD. I can remove permissions if they're not necessary though.

It seems like offending metadata might be the culprit though. I'm waiting with baited breath on the solution.

@Mullet

First, did you follow Tim's suggestion to review the MPD log? /var/log/mpd/log 

You didn't mention what encoding/format your music files are in. 

The program mp3diags looks specifically at MP3 files. In the past, the developer has said explicitly he won't expand the coverage.

The Arch Linux MPD wiki suggests the program EasyTAG can also be used to look for problems with music files (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mus...leshooting). According to the Gnome/Easytag site (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG/) the program "supports MP3, MP2, MP4/AAC, FLAC, Ogg Opus, Ogg Speex, Ogg Vorbis, MusePack, Monkey's Audio, and WavPack files." 

AFAICT, both mp3diags and EasyTAG use X11 to provide a UI. Running them on a headless moOdeOS system would entail invoking them from another system running an X11Server. It might be easier just to install them on a Linux desktop host and point them at the NAS from there.

I don't have any problematic files with which to test either program's ability to catch errors.

There's also the program mediainfo which is useful for a simple summary of a media file.

All these programs can be installed in Debian-based Linux systems (which includes Raspbian) via the usual apt route (sudo apt-get install easytag, for example).

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for the reco on EasyTAG. It looks like the culprit is missing metadata :|

I did actually look at the MPD log, but it only showed the last track played. Either way, I think I'm good to go!
I'm facing the same issue with some .m4A files I've got. The log consistently says:
Code:
Jan 19 17:31 : ffmpeg/mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2: moov atom not found
Jan 19 17:31 : update: updating USB/SYSTEM/Ballads + Blues/Paul Young/The Essential/15-Softly Whispering I Love You.m4a
These ffmpeg codec errors only show up in mpd's log whenever I do a rescan on that one folder containing these .m4a files. Some files in this particular folder end up getting caught in the scan, most don't. I wonder if anyone has already a fix for this?
(01-19-2019, 07:36 PM)wmoecke Wrote: I'm facing the same issue with some .m4A files I've got. The log consistently says:
Code:
Jan 19 17:31 : update: updating USB/SYSTEM/Ballads + Blues/Paul Young/The Essential/15-Softly Whispering I Love You.m4a
These ffmpeg codec errors only show up in mpd's log whenever I do a rescan on that one folder containing these .m4a files. Some files in this particular folder end up getting caught in the scan, most don't. I wonder if anyone has already a fix for this?

It's likely the files are broken. Try your favorite search engine with the phrase "moov atom not found". There's been lots of chatter on the Web on the subject, although usually about .mp4 files containing movies (.m4a is commonly used to designate an audio-only .mp4 file). 

There's no single simple solution that I saw in a quick search.

Regards,
Kent

PS - Posting a new query on the end of a thread already marked "Solved" isn't good practice.
(01-19-2019, 10:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: It's likely the files are broken. Try your favorite search engine with the phrase "moov atom not found". There's been lots of chatter on the Web on the subject, although usually about .mp4 files containing movies (.m4a is commonly used to designate an audio-only .mp4 file). 

There's no single simple solution that I saw in a quick search.
I will try this.
(01-19-2019, 10:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: PS - Posting a new query on the end of a thread already marked "Solved" isn't good practice.
Right. I never looked into that because I googled something like "moode scan not listing all files" and it threw me here.
I suppose I should've created a new thread with the same title and post my question? I can't help thinking this would be a waste of space although perhaps it being good practice.

Anyways. Moving on.