Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Greetings, I'm new to the Forum.
(04-13-2019, 07:09 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(04-06-2019, 05:51 PM)MysticDog Wrote:
(04-06-2019, 08:05 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:My Christmas music is also in my library, but not something I'd want played at random.

sad Sad

Sad is editing what someone says before "quoting" them.  Not cool.

-MD

What's wrong with Christmas music ??!!  Smile
Nothing. I  add it into my playlist from November thru January, and usually for a couple weeks in summer. (Christmas  in July...).  And its all I  listen to in December. It's just not part of my playlist 24/7/365.

I shortened up my playlist and things work much better. An hourly script checks how many songs are in the current queue and if it's below a certain number it adds a hundred songs. I never have more than a couple hundred songs in my playlist, and everything runs smoother. My MPD clients, the web interfaces, and even the snapcast server / client.

I guess there is an upper limit to the reasonable playlist length. Who'd a thunk? ?

-MD
Good it's working for you... Smile
Plenty of threads here ....autoshuffle...autoplay...consume... should all show ways of organising playlists for minimal overhead.
Yes, big and bigger playlists slow things down....that's an mpd thing but MoOde has some neat ways around this....above Wink

"Christmas  in July..." that can be fun...we make a care parcel for our postie (mail delivery operative Wink ) and wish him a halfway happy break ...
Reminds me...must go out to the person box and see if the person-person has left any person today.

Sort of worried about your '24/7/365' though.... time drags in your neck of the woods Smile
----------
bob
(04-14-2019, 06:20 AM)MysticDog Wrote: I guess there is an upper limit to the reasonable playlist length. Who'd a thunk? ?

It really depends on the client, a few thousand items on modern hardware shouldn’t be a problem, but thirty thousand will make most browsers cry. I’m sure we can optimize it some more but I think it’d probably be better to make it easier to create smaller subsets of your library via smart playlists / filtering rather than try to accommodate huge lists.