Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde 5 Release Candidate RC0
(03-28-2019, 12:14 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I don't see anything suspicious in the log. ALSA volume is zeroed out at the beginning of startup and then the knob volume 20 is restored near the end of startup. This should result in ALSA volume being set appropriately.

Here are some additional debugging commands when the problem occurs. Just remember to not alter the knob setting b4 running the cmds.

Code:
sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "select * from cfg_system where param='mpdmixer' or param='audioin' or param='audioout' or param='alsavolume' or param='amixname' or param='mpdmixer_local'"

/var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol Master
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ /var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol Master
100%
pi@moode:~ $
35|alsavolume|0
36|amixname|Master
37|mpdmixer|hardware
92|audioout|Local
93|audioin|None
96|mpdmixer_local|hardware
pi@moode:~ $
Indeed there is a bug in the initial value of the audioin SQL parameter. This coupled with the startup logic would cause the issue.

93|audioin|None --should be--
93|audioin|Local

To fix do the following

Code:
sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "update cfg_system set value='Local' where param='audioin'"

Or alternatively: 

- Menu, Configure, SOURCE-SEL
- SET Audio source to "Local (MPD)"

Then confirm the SQL param has been updated

Code:
sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "select * from cfg_system where param='audioin'"

should print

93|audioin|Local

Then REBOOT and verify that ALSA volume has been set appropriately

Code:
/var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol Master

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
That has solved it. Many thanks, Tim.
I can no longer use the parametric eq

"Failed to open "ALSA parametric eq" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "eqfa4p": No such file or directory"
Hello, 
First of all thanks Tim for the amazing work on MoodeAudio! Very satisfied user here! Smile
I have a very small issue. One of my Moode setups is fairly crude - 1st-gen Raspberry Pi (the one with only 256mb of RAM), no DAC, just the Pi's regular audio output... Not in audiophile territory for sure, but it's in a peripheral room and it works for me - and it puts my first "historical" Pi to good use. I use zram to make the tiny RAM more usable, and a low-priority swapfile as a last-resort measure to avoid fatal OOMs...
Now with Moode 4.4, SQ was surprisingly good for such a shamelessly basic setup - MoodeAudio was doing an *amazing* job of making the best of that crappy output.
I'm testing MoodeAudio 5 RC0 and it's not really working anymore - SQ went down the drain, lots of creaking/cracking/clipping - not really listenable. A shame since the UI improvements are fantastic!
I switched back to 4.4 and I'm perfectly happy with it of course... I guess I might have to stick with it for this one setup - the hardware is probably a notch below what Moode 5 would need. Unless someone has ideas to optimize the Pi's analog output? Some arcane ALSA settings maybe?
I might also try a cheap USB DAC and see how it goes...
Anyway just wanted to report a setup where 4.4 works great and 5 doesn't - I don't expect it to be supported as it is really "archaic" Smile
(03-29-2019, 08:12 AM)moodenigo Wrote: I can no longer use the parametric eq

"Failed to open "ALSA parametric eq" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "eqfa4p": No such file or directory"

Did you set ALSA auto-format=No in the MPD Config panel? If so, try reenabling it. See Tim's response to Blixa in http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...78#pid9078

Regards,
Kent
(03-29-2019, 10:30 AM)peredovitch Wrote: Hello, 
I have a very small issue. One of my Moode setups is fairly crude - 1st-gen Raspberry Pi (the one with only 256mb of RAM), no DAC, just the Pi's regular audio output... Not in audiophile territory for sure,  ...

I might also try a cheap USB DAC and see how it goes....

Sorry, I don't have a ready explanation for the small issue, but I'm willing to bet that any cheap USB DAC would sound better than the first-gen RPi's onboard audio, even in your r4.4 setup.

Regards,
Kent
Could be the new mpd version, try the old one (0.20).
(03-29-2019, 10:48 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sorry, I don't have a ready explanation for the small issue, but I'm willing to bet that any cheap USB DAC would sound better than the first-gen RPi's onboard audio, even in your r4.4 setup.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks! I wasn't expecting a miracle... :Smile I'm probably up against hardware limits here in terms of both processor and RAM usage... I remember it took me some time with 4.4 to figure out stable overclock and zram settings. 

That Moode 4.4 would work at all on such a low-end "legacy" setup -- let alone work so flawlessly and with such SQ! -- is a testimony to the amazing work that went into optimizing MoodeAudio!! Kudos and many thanks for providing us with such a robust and light-weight software!

Will get a basic DAC and keep fiddling around with the setup and Moode 5 -- will report the results back, might be of interest to people who still have a 1st-gen Pi lying around!
@peredovitch

I'm amazed you got it running at all. I long ago gave away my 1st-gen RPis to a local high school club.

I assume you have minimized the amount of RAM set aside for the GPU.

And don't forget to try @TookaFace's suggestion. You can choose which MPD version to use in the Audio config panel.

Regards,
Kent