Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Moode 5.0 - Bluetooth device won't pair
(04-26-2019, 02:37 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Of course it is. Just provide a link to the relevant section in the BlueZ spec and I'll be happy to investigate :-)

That would be AVRCP, right? As in http://www.bluez.org/profiles/

Quote:Profiles
Provided by BlueZ:

A2DP 1.3
AVRCP 1.5

Bluez spec? HaHaHa. Does this media-api.txt count?

Regards,
Kent
lol, not really. There is a lot of info available when googling "bluez avrcp" but unfortunately it looks like doing anything with avrcp profile involves a complex dbus interface. I don't see that making it onto my TODO list anytime soon but maybe another dev will be interested in looking into it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-26-2019, 01:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: lol, not really. There is a lot of info available when googling "bluez avrcp" but unfortunately it looks like doing anything with avrcp profile involves a complex dbus interface. I don't see that making it onto my TODO list anytime soon but maybe another dev will be interested in looking into it.

Aw, that is a shame.  I thought this was going to be the answer to my prayers.  Everyone said this was the best for audio, and it had bluetooth, so I got excited that it would do what I need.
I'm wanting to turn a Raspberry Pi into a music streamer/control box for my car.  My car only supports 9,999 songs thru its USB port, but my collection is much, much larger.  I want the device playing the music to be controlled through the cars built in steering wheel controls through bluetooth.  Apparently that is exactly what AVRCP does..  :-(

I couldn't even get it to connect to my car via bluetooth, it kept saying pairing unsuccesful.  Oh, well..as you said, perhaps some other developer will take up the torch, and run with it.  This is a very nice program, and I still may find a use for all of its features around the house. Thanks for all your hard work in bringing it to life.  :-)

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to how this may be accomplished, I would love to hear...thanks!

Peace,
Lynwood
Why would u expect moOde to be able to connect to your vehicle's Bluetooth audio system?
Enjoy the Music!
(08-09-2019, 02:00 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Why would u expect moOde to be able to connect to your vehicle's Bluetooth audio system?

It supports bluetooth connectivity.  My car audio supports bluetooth connectivity.  Why would I NOT expect it to!? 
My car accepts bluetooth enabled devices to connect and act as audio sources.  Just made sense to me that a music player, with bluetooth connectivity would be able to function in that capacity.  Apparently, I was mistaken.  I apologize for my assumption.

Peace,
Lynwood
I suppose my question was a bit terse but please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that moOde software will work in all scenarios. In fact the dev crew only tests it in a very narrow set of scenarios because of time and resource constraints. We rely on our nice user community to help test and find bugs, and they do a really great job :-)

I personally have never tested moOde BlueZ with my car Bluetooth system but some users have reported that it works in their cars. To troubleshoot your particular issue we need more than simply "it doesn't work".

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(08-10-2019, 10:26 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I suppose my question was a bit terse but please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that moOde software will work in all scenarios. In fact the dev crew only tests it in a very narrow set of scenarios because of time and resource constraints. We rely on our nice user community to help test and find bugs, and they do a really great job :-)

I personally have never tested moOde BlueZ with my car Bluetooth system but some users have reported that it works in their cars. To troubleshoot your particular issue we need more than simply "it doesn't work".

-Tim

I'm more than happy to provide whatever data I can to help anyone else's experience.  I'll have to get it set up again. I needed the memory card for further exploration into a working solution.  I do recall, it wouldn't pair up with my car (Toyota Prius Gen 4).

I will say, on a side note, connecting to my car with just plain old Raspbian OS, it connected to my cars bluetooth, and my steering wheel controls were able to change audio tracks.  I was unable to hear anything though.  So, I think this is doable.  If I can find the right combination of software.  :-)

Peace,
Lynwood
@dillman

Quote:connecting to my car with just plain old Raspbian OS, it connected to my cars bluetooth, and my steering wheel controls were able to change audio tracks.

That's a huge clue.

1) that it connects when moOde doesn't is a puzzler since in both cases the Raspbian Bluez subsystem is doing the discovering, pairing, and connecting. With the plain old Raspbian you could use bluetoothctl and related tools to analyze the handshaking process.

2) what is the Raspbian app in which the controls "were able to change audio tracks"? I wonder what it's doing to receive and interpret the AVRCP profile packets, assuming that's the profile in play. 

The general programmer's dilemma with Bluetooth is that it is a crufty big-as-houses spec with many details left to what we in the standards business used to call "implementer agreements". As well, it provides for some 30 different profiles which define how it can be used in specific cases. The Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) used in moOde is just one. The Audio/Video Remote Control Profiles is a different one, but then there's also the Human Interface Device Profile (HID), the Hands-Free Device Profile (HFP), etc. Different software is needed to implement the different profiles.

To mangle a popular analogy, the Bluetooth spec gets you in the right church, a Profile might get you in the right pew, but the implementer agreements get you singing in the right key.

Regards,
Kent
Yes, that is a big clue.

@dillman,
- which version of Raspbian?
- what commands were used to connect?
Enjoy the Music!
(08-11-2019, 12:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @dillman

Quote:connecting to my car with just plain old Raspbian OS, it connected to my cars bluetooth, and my steering wheel controls were able to change audio tracks.

That's a huge clue.

1) that it connects when moOde doesn't is a puzzler since in both cases the Raspbian Bluez subsystem is doing the discovering, pairing, and connecting. With the plain old Raspbian you could use bluetoothctl and related tools to analyze the handshaking process.

2) what is the Raspbian app in which the controls "were able to change audio tracks"? I wonder what it's doing to receive and interpret the AVRCP profile packets, assuming that's the profile in play. 

The general programmer's dilemma with Bluetooth is that it is a crufty big-as-houses spec with many details left to what we in the standards business used to call "implementer agreements". As well, it provides for some 30 different profiles which define how it can be used in specific cases. The Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) used in moOde is just one. The Audio/Video Remote Control Profiles is a different one, but then there's also the Human Interface Device Profile (HID), the Hands-Free Device Profile (HFP), etc. Different software is needed to implement the different profiles.

To mangle a popular analogy, the Bluetooth spec gets you in the right church, a Profile might get you in the right pew, but the implementer agreements get you singing in the right key.

Regards,
Kent

I'll reply to this one, since your question and TIm's are pretty much the same.  The player I was using was VLC from the Raspbian desktop gui when the steering wheel controls changed the tracks.  I'm using the latest Raspbian Buster version.  I've installed so many things in playing with this, its no longer a "controlled' environment.  I install some things, and run out to the car, and test.  I've been simulating the bluetooth connection while in the house, with a little pudgy white dude with dark glasses, a "iHip Lil Dude" bluetooth speaker.  I've gotten sound out of the little dude, but nothing you would want to listen to.  The best result so far has been with "mpg321" playing a file from the command line thru little dude.  its slow, and slightly garbled.

When I went out last night for the last time. I couldn't get anything to go right.  I think I've installed so many different things now, it doesnt know what to play with...or through..I'm going to test again in a few minutes.  Problem is I only have this little 3.5" touchscreen, and an ink pen for a stylus..lol..and most of VLC's dialog boxes are noit properly sizeable..very frustrating and hard to get anything done right..  

Interesting analogy..that I almost understood, Kent..lol.. :-)

I will certainly post any additional findings that could assist. 

Peace,
Lynwood