Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Display issue with multi-cd sets
Hi

I have a number of double or triple cd sets.  

If they were ripped in .mp4 format then they are displayed correctly as Disc one: track1, track 2, track 3, Disc two: track1, track 2, track 3 etc.  

If however they were ripped in .aif they're displayed as track 1 of disk 1, track 1 of disc 2, track 2 of disk 1, track 2 of disk 2 etc.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Alan
(05-14-2019, 12:02 PM)alanthebat Wrote: Hi

I have a number of double or triple cd sets.  

If they were ripped in .mp4 format then they are displayed correctly as Disc one: track1, track 2, track 3, Disc two: track1, track 2, track 3 etc.  

If however they were ripped in .aif they're displayed as track 1 of disk 1, track 1 of disc 2, track 2 of disk 1, track 2 of disk 2 etc.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Alan

Maybe neither. 

Different metadata tagging schemes (ID3v2, Vorbis Comment, iTunes MP4, etc) define and encode metadata differently. Different ripping and editing software have different rules for filling in the metadata slots in the different schemes. Sometimes those rules are user-definable; sometimes not.

MPD's plugins try to map the different schemes into MPD's own tagset. moOde then sorts tracks based on the MPD tags.

If you zip up a few files and send me a private message (PM) with a link to them I'll have a look at their metadata. I'd want to see one MP4 and one AIFF file, each a track from the second or third disc of a set.

Regards,
Kent

PS - If you think this sounds like a train wreck, that's because it is. Especially for classical music where genre/artist/song is a cruel Procrustean bed.
Done.

Thanks
@alanthebat and others who may be interested

In my PM reply to Alan I noted that the metadata in his .aif files are in ID3v2.2 and that MPD wasn't interpreting the ID3v2.2 "TPA" frame (defined "Part of a set") as disc number even though the tag editors I have at hand do. In ID3v2.3, the "TPOS" frame (also defined "Part of a set") is typically interpreted as disc number.

Turns out that if I read Alan's .aif files into Mp3tag (with options set to read ID3v2.2) and save them with the options set to write only ID3v2.3 tags(in UTF-16, which is the only choice), then MPD properly populates its disc tag and moOde properly sorts the tracks into discs. I'm sure there are other ways to the conversion; this is just the quickest way I knew.

Recall that AIFF doesn't explicitly define any music metadata but that one is free to add an AIFF "chunk" containing metadata to a .aif file. When AIFF was particularly popular, ID3v2.2 was the scheme of choice. The ID3 Org now considers ID3v2.2 to be obsolete. I suspect MPD maintainers aren't paying much attention to it. Or maybe they map "TPA" to "Part of set". Not sure I want to do a code-walk to find out.

Regards,
Kent
Just to say a huge thanks to Kent for the detective work!

I've done as he suggested and loaded the tracks into a tag editor and saved them as ID3v2.4 which has solved the problem.

Thanks again.

Alan