Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Cover Search Priority - alphabetical?
Hi,

I just wanted to bring up a slight issue I've had with trying to get all my cover art to display correctly. My library isn't completely uniform, but all of the correct cover images are named cover.jpg, front.jpg or folder.jpg which on my PC using foobar2000 works fine, as foobar2000 gives the option to specify the order in which to preference image files.

Now the issue I've had in accessing my library with moOde is that some of my album folders also contain other image files, e.g. back.jpg, booklet.jpg, 01.jpg etc and these are being loaded instead of the cover/front/folder.jpg files.

Just wondering if there's a workaround for this that doesn't involve removing or renaming all the offending files.

Thanks for your help.
Zip up one of the albums and email or PM me a download link. I'll see if I can repro on my end.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi,

The test album you sent does not contain an image file named cover, Cover, folder, Folder.

Code:
pi@rp5:~ $ ls -l /media/VFAT128/Test_mixed/Dave_test/
total 4704
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     564 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.m3u
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    8893 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.nfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     664 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.sfv
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4527586 Apr  5 09:37 01-afternoons_in_stereo-cloud_forest_(original_mix).mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   94307 Apr  3 17:24 back.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   36577 Apr  3 17:25 front.jpg
pi@rp5:~ $

When moOde looks for album art image files it checks for the following names first.

Code:
$covers = array('Cover.jpg', 'cover.jpg', 'Cover.jpeg', 'cover.jpeg', 'Cover.png', 'cover.png', 'Cover.tif', 'cover.tif', 'Cover.tiff', 'cover.tiff','Folder.jpg', 'folder.jpg', 'Folder.jpeg', 'folder.jpeg', 'Folder.png', 'folder.png', 'Folder.tif', 'folder.tif', 'Folder.tiff', 'folder.tiff'

Then if none of these are found it checks for any file with the following extensions and will use the first one it finds.

Code:
$extensions = array('jpg', 'jpeg', 'png', 'tif', 'tiff');

In your particular case it finds back.jpg first.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(06-11-2019, 02:14 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi,

The test album you sent does not contain an image file named cover, Cover, folder, Folder.

Code:
pi@rp5:~ $ ls -l /media/VFAT128/Test_mixed/Dave_test/
total 4704
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     564 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.m3u
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    8893 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.nfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     664 Apr  3 17:25 00-afternoons_in_stereo-the_silence_between_phrases-(tmcd010)-2010.sfv
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4527586 Apr  5 09:37 01-afternoons_in_stereo-cloud_forest_(original_mix).mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   94307 Apr  3 17:24 back.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   36577 Apr  3 17:25 front.jpg
pi@rp5:~ $

When moOde looks for album art image files it checks for the following names first.

Code:
$covers = array('Cover.jpg', 'cover.jpg', 'Cover.jpeg', 'cover.jpeg', 'Cover.png', 'cover.png', 'Cover.tif', 'cover.tif', 'Cover.tiff', 'cover.tiff','Folder.jpg', 'folder.jpg', 'Folder.jpeg', 'folder.jpeg', 'Folder.png', 'folder.png', 'Folder.tif', 'folder.tif', 'Folder.tiff', 'folder.tiff'

Then if none of these are found it checks for any file with the following extensions and will use the first one it finds.

Code:

-Tim

It would seem that adding 'front' variants at the end of that $covers array would fix the problem.

Cheers,

Phil

Thats one option but don't virtually all ripping and collection management utils default to adding cover or folder.jpg files?

I'm curious which utils add only "front" variants.
Enjoy the Music!
For embedded images, ID3v2 APIC frame includes picture types "3 - Cover (front)" and "4 - Cover (back)", "5 - Leaflet plate", "6 - Media" (e.g., label side of CD), and even "17 - A bright coloured fish".

The FLAC data block ADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE adopts the same picture types. 

It sounds like the OP's Front.jpg and Back.jpg are imitating this practice.

Regards,
Kent
(06-11-2019, 02:14 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: ...

Code:

Code:

-Tim

interesting, thank you.

that's certainly something I can "repair" in my library easily enough, but for what its worth I suppose in support of what philrandal has said "front.jpg" is something I've come across quite a bit.

I'm making the corrections as we speak though, and happy to do so if in a broader sense "cover.jpg" and "folder.jpg" are considered standard.

Thanks again.