Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde 5.4 Beta 2 is available
Quote:Got a nice email from Chicago Electronics explaining why they haven't shipped an RPi4 I can test with yet (and why they don't know when they can); not a peek (vs peep? Tongue ) from Newark.

Seems that worldwide there has been over-promising and under-delivering..... not sure if this is retailer driven optimism or supplier surprise at demand....

Having ordered and received   confirmation! email of delivery date then logged in to find it had been bumped one month !!!
Not happy and reminded seller of contract law..... result ...unit shipped.

I'm guessing the bricks and mortar resellers were swamped with orders and squeezed their national suppliers who then diverted online ordered stock.....

Quote:So sorry, demand has been high and your order will be delayed....

Luckily I kept screenshots of transactions....
Not a biggy, but hey, we are so under the thumb of corporate machinations we need to poke them now and then saying "no, you've done wrong...front up or else..."
Otherwise it becomes standard operating practice.... Wink
----------
bob
The note I received from Chicago Electronics stated that they placed initial orders for ~2000 Pi-4's back in early June and have not yet received all the units. This would suggest some sort of supply issue upstream of the resellers.

Given the specs of the 4 and the advances in Raspbian Buster I'm guessing the 4 will be in high demand.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster-...-raspbian/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-07-2019, 01:20 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The note I received from Chicago Electronics stated that they placed initial orders for ~2000 Pi-4's back in early June and have not yet received all the units. This would suggest some sort of supply issue upstream of the resellers.

Since Parnell Farnell is their parent I figured Newark/Element14 would be higher up the food chain but they're waiting too. This isn't the first time that Raspberry Pi Trading has underestimated demand.
Just a brief update.

Following in the practice of previous moOde releases based on new major Raspbian releases, the upcoming moOde / Buster release will be image-only. The new release will be designated 6.0.0 to mark the transition from the Stretch based moOde 5 series.

I don't anticipate any more moOde-Buster beta's and thus the focus has shifted to preparing the production release of moOde 6 tentatively for later this July :-)

Actual release timing depends on when the Raspberry Pi Foundation releases an updated firmware that improves some operating characteristics of the new Pi-4B, and it looks like there is a stack of Kernel updates waiting to be released.

No such thing as a slow day in the Raspberry Pi space!

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-07-2019, 01:54 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 01:20 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The note I received from Chicago Electronics stated that they placed initial orders for ~2000 Pi-4's back in early June and have not yet received all the units. This would suggest some sort of supply issue upstream of the resellers.

Since Parnell Farnell is their parent I figured Newark/Element14 would be higher up the food chain but they're waiting too. This isn't the first time that Raspberry Pi Trading has underestimated demand.

Regarding stocked Pi4s - just bought a Pi4 from Buy A Pi in Canada. They only have the 2Gb Pi4 available as a bare board - around CDN$80 with tax and shipping within Canada. They will also ship to the US - hopefully without the tax?

1Gb model only available as part of a kit so more $$. They don’t expect the 4Gb bare board until ‘sometime in August’. 

Now I wait for delivery to my rock from Ontario...
(07-05-2019, 01:41 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'd expect cpu cooling vendors to be very excited ;-)

Well, I bought a 40x40x11 mm heatsink and sawed 10 mm away, so that it could nicely fit in the top opening of the Pibow Coupe case (the 40x30x5mm heatsinks are sold out everywhere...). Then I placed a 5V 40x10mm NOCTUA fan (the normal version, not the PWM one), but connected to the 3.3V pin. This fan is very, very, very quiet.  I have not been able to get the temperature above 53 C, despite my best efforts.  It usually stays between 37 and 40...

Attached is a picture of the result. Could be more beautiful, but I think that for now it is ok...

And, by the way, 5.4beta2 (or should I cll to 6.0b2?) is quite snappy, except for library building (but TBH I have a 140K file library, and it is on a normal USB hard disk, not an SSD, so this is expected to take time). Loading it is MUCH better than before, the new Pi is really more responsive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

OK I had to revert to the previous version of moOde (and thus to the Pi 3) because sometimes moOde just stops playback, and I have no idea why. I activated the debug log option and I find these entries

20190710 094807 waitWorker(): Start (sys-config, w_active=0)
20190710 094807 waitWorker(): End   (sys-config, w_active=0)
20190710 094807 engine-mpd: Get initial status
20190710 094807 engine-mpd: UI state=(undefined), MPD state=(play)

20190710 095141 engine-mpd: Get initial status
20190710 095141 engine-mpd: UI state=(play), MPD state=(play)
20190710 095141 engine-mpd: Wait for idle timeout

20190710 095233 engine-mpd: Idle timeout event=(changed: player)
20190710 095233 engine-mpd: Get new status
20190710 095233 engine-mpd: Idle timeout event=(changed: player)
20190710 095233 engine-mpd: Get new status

I have no idea whether these are related to the interruptions, but these appeared at the time the sound stopped. It then resumed after a few seconds on its own. 5.4beta2

Roberto
Wink 
So.... this was on a Pi4 ??
Quote:OK I had to revert to the previous version of moOde (and thus to the Pi 3)

Some more info would be helpful.... Wink 

However, if it was a Pi4 then what is the temperature/environment  ?
They get hot and throttle.... have you applied the latest firmware for Pi4 that reduces the usb3 demand and therefore temps by @5'C ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...5#p1490467

What power supply are you using ??
----------
bob
@moodenigo

The mpd messages you report are not indicative in themselves but it's interesting to see repetitions in the last four with the same time stamp.

In the interest of completeness, did you try moOde 5.4b2 on your RPi3(A+, B, B+?)?

I'm assuming your RPi4B was running at ca 53 C given your previous post so it seems unlikely throttling is occurring (nor am I convinced throttling would be a big issue with moOde).

And of course more detail is always better: hardware environment and the music source(s) you're playing when this occurs.

Regards,
Kent

PS - still no RPi4B here to test with. I'm loathe to cancel my existing orders (losing my place in the queue) and order from yet another source which may run out of product as well.
(07-10-2019, 10:03 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: So.... this was on a Pi4 ??
Quote:OK I had to revert to the previous version of moOde (and thus to the Pi 3)

Some more info would be helpful.... Wink 

However, if it was a Pi4 then what is the temperature/environment  ?
They get hot and throttle.... have you applied the latest firmware for Pi4 that reduces the usb3 demand and therefore temps by @5'C ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...5#p1490467

What power supply are you using ??

Well, I put the log information at the moment when mpd stopped playing..
Other information
1) version with 4GB
2) Standard PI4 USB-C power supply
3) I applied the patch
4) I have put a heatsink (as reported above) and a fan
5) The temperature never exceeded 39 C
6) I did not experience lags while using raspbian and various applications with it

Finally, the mpd log contains  lines line these when there are the sound interruptions

Jul 10 09:46 : player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun
Jul 10 15:56 : player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun

cheers
  Roberto