Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sound quality using Amanero USB vs Pi native I2S
Thumbs Down 
I tried to search in the forum without luck.

Not sure if this has been discussed but are there audio benefits using the Raspberry Pi USB to the  Amanero USB/I2S to a I2S DAC?
(07-09-2019, 01:47 PM)edwingoh Wrote: I tried to search in the forum without luck.

Not sure if this has been discussed but are there audio benefits using the Raspberry Pi USB to the  Amanero USB/I2S to a I2S DAC?

Hi Edwin

Sorry I don't have a black-and-white answer. But I do have a Dac with an Amanero interface and a separate Amanero converter being used with ther RPi. I also have several Dacs and other interfaces being used with the RPi. From my experience, it depends on the Dac and the quality/implementation of the interface.

Generally, Amanero provides greater detail than XMOS for example, as does I2S. But as with all things audio it comes with trade-offs and differences that are not day and night. With that said I prefer the Amanero stand alone converter outputting SPDIF vs straight I2S....seems more musical to me. XMOS seems a bit more organic and natural and tends to work well, play on the strengths of my tubed Dac.
Thanks Edward. I guess the only way is to try to know.