Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality
(07-11-2019, 05:45 PM)HaroldWilkin Wrote: I have Ropieee running Roon on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) with an Allo DigiOne Signature Edition hat into a Chord Mojo and Naim XS. The excellent sound has marginally more detail and improved dynamics than my Pi 3B with the same hat. 

I was hoping to achieve better sound quality using Moode Player. What is surprising and disappointing is the thin sound lacking in midrange and bass from the Pi 4/Allo combination when using the latest Moode Player 5.4 Beta2 instead of Roon. From memory this sounds noticeably worse than the Pi 3/DigiOne Sig. Ed. running Moode 4.

This doesn’t make sense to me unless the Pi 4 is capable of degrading the sound in some way, which is a major concern. Does anyone have comments on Pi 4 sound quality?

Surely it is all 1s and 0s? ;-) USB3 on the Pi4 does makes a difference to me. But only in getting the data to the DAC with less dropouts in some .dsf files. And that's likely because, to my understanding, the Pi3 runs ethernet and USB2 off the same interface whereas the Pi4 has two separate ones, and to my recent learning, there is some sort of issue with the ethernet connection on the Pi3. [For all I know it might still be there on the Pi4!] I do notice a substantial speed boost [as you might expect] when copying files to the USB3 drive attached to the USB3 interface, when running the Pi4 off ethernet. Versus the Pi3B+ running off ethernet and USB2.

When I say substantial, I very much doubt my router is pushing out more than 400Mbps to the Pi4 via ethernet, but a 2GB file that might have previously taken 10 minutes or so to be copied to the USB3 attached drive on USB2 on the Pi3B+ is now getting there in about 1 minute or so - barely much more time than having the USB drive connected directly to the Mac in typical day-to-day use [for me].

Messages In This Thread
Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by HaroldWilkin - 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Edward - 07-12-2019, 12:46 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-16-2019, 01:06 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-19-2019, 12:24 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-28-2019, 01:39 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Tim Curtis - 07-29-2019, 02:14 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by zainframe - 10-29-2021, 04:01 PM