Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[Deprecated} Using the Flirc USB for remote control with mOde 5.4+
(12-27-2019, 06:00 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: What is this strange game named after an insect to which you refer...? Wink

Oh... don't you start...?! Cool Wink  

(deeply apologetic to the scores of sports fans who enjoy the more 'conventional' sports Angel )
Hello,

i need some help to get this running. I followed step by step the instructions but i think i miss something.

If i click on the searchfield and press a button on my remote and the programmed key shows up, but no change of the song or anything else.

So the remote is working the way it should, by the way i use the V2 of Flirc and the remote is of my MusciaFidelity M5SI amp.
I running a RaspberryPi3b+ with an Allo Boss DAC

What informations else do you need to help me out with the problem?
(01-14-2020, 04:32 PM)scoddy Wrote: Hello,

i need some help to get this running. I followed step by step the instructions but i think i miss something.

If i click on the searchfield and press a button on my remote and the programmed key shows up, but no change of the song or anything else.

So the remote is working the way it should, by the way i use the V2 of Flirc and the remote is of my MusciaFidelity M5SI amp.
I running a RaspberryPi3b+ with an Allo Boss DAC

What informations else do you need to help me out with the problem?

@scoddy

1. What does "if I click on the searchfield ... and the programmed key shows up" mean? 

2. Have you programmed your keys to match the keycodes used in my Python script (or changed the keycodes in the script to match the programmed keys)?

3. Have you copied the Python script to /home/pi, taking care to use Linux line endings, not DOS/Windows line endings? [Please note: the first line in the code box should not be copied. I was lazy when I started this thread and used the 'more' command to list the script and at the same time show the fully qualified filename of the script.]

4. How do you start the script? I was starting it manually in my testing. In post #21, @DRONE7 describes how he starts it automatically during the moOde bootup sequence by invoking it in /etc/rc.local.

In passing, I've learned a lot about udev while revisiting the CD playback issue. I think I'm ready to tackle management of the Flirc interface using systemd.

Regards,
Kent
Hello,

thank you for your response.

I found the missing part. The remote was working perfectly, but the script was not started.
I forget to make the script executable with chmod +x as you has wirtten in your first post.

Now it works like it should.
Hi Kent,
I hope this is the more appropriate place for this problem.

The Flirc-CDPlay conflict also occurs with the Python script. Like with Triggerhappy, Flirc stops working after playing CD's.

In your Python script method just restarting the script brings it back. In my case:

Code:
./Flirc-moode-wd.py

Fresh moOde 6.4.2 install, Triggerhappy not enabled.

Strange!

Regards,
Richrd
Hi Richard, try starting the Flirc script like this... (amend the line in rc.local) with the added '&'

Code:
/home/pi/Flirc-moode.py &
which will keep it running in the background and report if that works.
----------
bob
(02-17-2020, 08:42 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Richard, try starting the Flirc script like this... (amend the line in rc.local) with the added '&'

Code:

Thanks Bob. Nice one! So far looking good.

Regards,
Richard.
(02-17-2020, 06:44 AM)rh2018 Wrote: Hi Kent,

The Flirc-CDPlay conflict also occurs with the Python script. Like with Triggerhappy, Flirc stops working after playing CD's.

In your Python script method just restarting the script brings it back. In my case:

Code:
./Flirc-moode-wd.py

Strange!

Regards,
Richrd

Hi, Richard.

Thanks to your gentle shove on the other thread I've now switched to using triggerhappy to monitor my Flirc. Works a treat. 

I'm moving to deprecate the Python approach described in this thread. Using triggerhappy is easy peasy in comparison. (My thesis advisor used to warn us that almost every bright idea we were likely to have had already been thought of by someone else.)

In its place, I want to create a HOWTO about using triggerhappy with input devices which emit keycodes. For starters, I'm using the Flirc and a Roku remote control (IR) on one player and an OSMC remote control and its custom adapter (RF) on another, and, of course, the wired Drok volume control discussed in another thread. 

To your question, I have not been able to repro your conflict with CDplay and triggerhappy.

My test environment: moOde 6.4.2, RPi4B, Flirc V2 USB adapter, USB DVD/CD drive

No tweaks other than the addition of CDPlay and configuring triggerhappy for the output from my Flirc V2 (programmed for an old Roku remote control).

All my configured Flirc/Roku actions continue to work with moOde after ejecting a CD. I don't believe the Flirc version is a factor here because triggerhappy scans all input events and not just the ones my Python code chose. Am I misunderstanding the effect you are experiencing?

Regards,
Kent
(02-18-2020, 04:32 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 06:44 AM)rh2018 Wrote: Hi Kent,

Code:
./Flirc-moode-wd.py

Strange!

Regards,
Richrd

Hi, Richard.

Thanks to your gentle shove on the other thread I've now switched to using triggerhappy to monitor my Flirc. Works a treat. 

I'm moving to deprecate the Python approach described in this thread. Using triggerhappy is easy peasy in comparison. (My thesis advisor used to warn us that almost every bright idea we were likely to have had already been thought of by someone else.)

In its place, I want to create a HOWTO about using triggerhappy with input devices which emit keycodes. For starters, I'm using the Flirc and a Roku remote control (IR) on one player and an OSMC remote control and its custom adapter (RF) on another, and, of course, the wired Drok volume control discussed in another thread. 

To your question, I have not been able to repro your conflict with CDplay and triggerhappy.

My test environment: moOde 6.4.2, RPi4B, Flirc V2 USB adapter, USB DVD/CD drive

No tweaks other than the addition of CDPlay and configuring triggerhappy for the output from my Flirc V2 (programmed for an old Roku remote control).

All my configured Flirc/Roku actions continue to work with moOde after ejecting a CD. I don't believe the Flirc version is a factor here because triggerhappy scans all input events and not just the ones my Python code chose. Am I misunderstanding the effect you are experiencing?

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Quote: "All my configured Flirc/Roku actions continue to work with moOde after ejecting a CD"

Using the Python approach Flirc ceases to work on ejecting a CD. I can repeat the problem consistently.

Prior to re-starting the script his might be a clue:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                    
 File "./Flirc-moode-wd.py", line 16, in <module>                                                                    
   for event in flirc.read_loop():                                                                                  
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/evdev/eventio.py", line 46, in read_loop                                      
   for event in self.read():                                                                                        
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/evdev/eventio.py", line 71, in read                                            
   events = _input.device_read_many(self.fd)                                                                        
OSError: [Errno 19] No such device

Next I will try a fresh install using Triggerhappy and report.

Regards,
Richard.
(02-17-2020, 08:42 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Richard, try starting the Flirc script like this... (amend the line in rc.local) with the added '&'

Code:

Hi Bob,

Oops1 Premature enthusiasm. See last few posts.

Regards,
Richard.