Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[How To] Using the Satechi Bluetooth remote with moOde 5.4+
(07-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Tenbagger Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 03:05 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I was asking about your Zero, actually. Does it see other devices and can they see it? 

Yes, but it cannot see all devices: My Zero can see iPhone and MacBook Air, but not Polar watch and Chubby buttons.

When I install Buster Lite on the Zero; it can see all, and it can pair with Chubby Buttons. 

Regards,
Dag

That's curious.

In any case, my approach requires recent Python3 and python3-evdev packages. The default packages in Raspbian Buster are good enough; those in Raspian Stretch are not. I consider backporting to Stretch a waste of time.

Regards,
Kent
(07-19-2019, 03:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Tenbagger Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 03:05 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I was asking about your Zero, actually. Does it see other devices and can they see it? 

Yes, but it cannot see all devices: My Zero can see iPhone and MacBook Air, but not Polar watch and Chubby buttons.

When I install Buster Lite on the Zero; it can see all, and it can pair with Chubby Buttons. 

Regards,
Dag

That's curious.

In any case, my approach requires recent Python3 and python3-evdev packages. The default packages in Raspbian Buster are good enough; those in Raspian Stretch are not. I consider backporting to Stretch a waste of time.

Regards,
Kent

I've done some more testing; installed moOde 5.4 on an RPi3B+ with the exact same behaviour – some bluetooth devices are not recognized (including Chubby Buttons). However all tested devices are recognized with Raspbian Buster Lite on the same hardware. 

(I've used a fresh moOde image without custom configurations. After starting bluetooth renderer in moOde Configuration, I use "bluetoothctl", "scan on", "devices".) 

Regards,
Dag
@Tenbagger

Hi, Dag.

What other BT devices besides the Chubby Buttons are not being recognized in moOde?  

As for
Quote:some bluetooth devices are not recognized (including Chubby Buttons). However all tested devices are recognized with Raspbian Buster Lite on the same hardware. 

do you mean the devices don't show up in the results of a "SCAN for devices" operation in moOde's BlueZ config panel? Is this also true when you open a terminal and use bluetoothctl from the command line to scan for devices? I would expect the latter to give the same results in a moOde installation and a vanilla Buster Lite installation. The php code and utility shell scripts in moOde just scrape the bluetoothctl results.

Here's an example of me using moOde's utility shell script to detect and pair with my Satechi controller (I inserted the blank lines between commands for clarity)

Code:
pi@moode:/var/www/command $ sudo ./bt.sh
** BlueMoode version 1.5
** Usage: bt.sh [OPTION]
** -i initialize/reset controller
** -s scan and trust devices
** -l list discovered devices
** -p list paired devices
** -c list connected devices
** -d disconnect device <MAC addr>
** -r remove paired device <MAC addr>
** -P pair with device <MAC addr>
** -C connect to device <MAC addr>
** -D disconnect all devices
** -R remove all pairings
** -h help

pi@moode:/var/www/command $ sudo ./bt.sh -s
** Scanning for devices (20 secs)
** Trusted devices
** DC:2C:26:01:82:8A Bluetooth Media Control & Camera Shutter Click
** B8:27:EB:41:35:CF MoodeLR Bluetooth
** Scan complete

pi@moode:/var/www/command $ sudo ./bt.sh -l
** Discovered devices
** DC:2C:26:01:82:8A Bluetooth Media Control & Camera Shutter Click
** B8:27:EB:41:35:CF MoodeLR Bluetooth

pi@moode:/var/www/command $ sudo ./bt.sh -P DC:2C:26:01:82:8A
** Pairing with device DC:2C:26:01:82:8A        <<< this occurred without manual intervention
** Device DC:2C:26:01:82:8A paired              <<< because I'd previously "trusted" this device

Regards,
Kent

PS - I put up a GitHub repo to help me manage my code and text (and I anticipate putting up a parallel repo with my FLIRC work).
(07-30-2019, 02:44 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: What other BT devices besides the Chubby Buttons are not being recognized in moOde?  

Hi Kent,

Thanks for taking an interest!

While on holiday, I had the not-recognized-problem with a friend's Polar watch. I don't have access to the watch anymore, so I've just tested with other BT stuff from home: Deltaco keyboard and Mad Catz gaming controller. They are recognized by moOde 5.4 on RPi0W. 

At this point, the not-recognized-problem is only repeatable with Chubby Buttons. I'll keep looking for other BT devices to test.

Chubby Buttons controls my iPhone just fine, out of the box. It makes me wonder if there is some kind of unusual BT profile in Chubby Buttons?

So far, I've not been using moOde's BlueZ config panel, just "sudo bluetoothctl" from terminal.

Regards,
Dag