Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Moode unresponsive for 3-5 Minutes
@ghoeher

The forensics on this are murky. It looks like a bug was introduced in kernel 4.16 work which can cause blocking. Since moOde 5.3.1 is already at kernel 4.19.49+ I should have thought subsequent kernel patches have taken care of the problem, but perhaps not. In any case, it's not clear which sources contribute enough data to the entropy generator to avoid the delay issue on some moOde 5.3.1 installations (like mine).

Your solution of adding haveged is one way to speed up the entropy generation. An alternative is to install rng-tools. Neither is installed in a default Raspbian Stretch installation which is the basis for moOde 5.3.1.

It should be noted in moOde 5.4beta2 which is based on Raspbian Buster and kernel 4.19.57+ that rng-tools is already installed (one of the running processes is /usr/sbin/rngd). I would not expect moOde 5.4beta2 (soon to be released as moOde 6.0) users to experience the same delay.

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
Moode unresponsive for 3-5 Minutes - by ghoeher - 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM
RE: Moode unresponsive for 3-5 Minutes - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM