Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

UPnP / DLNA issue
(07-13-2019, 11:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Basic? You already have a bunch of Pi-4's :-)

On those two Pi-4's open Audio Config, scroll down to the UPnP/DLNA section and turn on the UPnP Media Browser. The SCAN should then show the name of the DLNA server on your main Pi-4.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your swift response. Indeed it does: turning on the UPnP Media Browser works. Unfortunately after doing that, and removing the SMB Music Sources, so that the only source is UPnP, [green tick] and then RE-GEN of MPD database, and refresh of screen after database update complete, I only see a few music files. Versus for example, accessing Pi-1 from the Mac Mini using VLC, where I see all the files via UpNP [suggesting DLNA on Pi-1 is not the issue].

Originally, I was using SMB to access the files on Pi-1. Nearly all my music files show on the USB connected main PI, but via SMB on Pi-2 and Pi-3 much fewer of those files show [which is why I thought UPnP might be the way to go].

I'm using a 500GB 3.0 external disk connected to the 3.0 USB port of Pi-1. It is formatted as HFS+. I've removed journalling. I've deleted spotlight files etc. beginning with a ..

The main file structure is:

Music > CD1
Music > CD2
Music > HD
Other Files

I've used SMB to setup one music source [Music] successfully. And alternatively three separate sources [CD1, CD2 and HD] successfully. There are missing files though in both ways of doing it.

And as said, using UPnP on Pi-2 and Pi-3 - only a handful of files are shown. Is it better to use a different folder structure on the external hard disk or should that not really matter?

Sorry to trouble you.

B

[On another note, moving over to USB3 has made a real difference in terms of connecting a TEAC DAC and a Musical Fidelity DAC. I was hearing occasional bits of noise playing DSF files [even with the USB fix switched on]. That is no longer the case with USB3. I have tested this on a Pi-4 connecting the DAC to USB2 and USB3 - the same glitches appear on USB2 that do not on USB3. Originally, I bought a Pi-3+ in May to try to use MoOde and move from 4x Airport Expresses. Luckily the Pi-4 came out just as I was about to buy three more Pi-3s which is a no brainer for me as I can use USB3 to get decent speed from external disks backing up files, and 400Mbps via Ethernet versus 150Mbps on 5Ghz Wifi].

Also MoOde reminds my of my Squeezebox days more than fifteen years ago! The Airport Expresses have worked fine streaming ALAC 44Khz and controlled via iPad- very reliable. But I've been looking to better them for a while as the kit is now approaching 6 or 7 years old [which is about the time I switched from using Squeezeboxes to AX and iPad].

Keep up the good work sir.

Messages In This Thread
UPnP / DLNA issue - by Biston - 07-13-2019, 11:10 PM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Tim Curtis - 07-13-2019, 11:22 PM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Biston - 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Tim Curtis - 07-14-2019, 08:10 PM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Biston - 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Tim Curtis - 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM
RE: UPnP / DLNA issue - by Biston - 07-15-2019, 09:41 PM