Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Some odd behaviour on a Pi Zero
Hi,

Before I tell my story, I may possibly be asking too much of an older pi zero, but as I had spares I wanted to try it.

Over the weekend I placed a fresh image/install on a Pi Zero. I'm looking at the web interface on an ipad mini and/or an iphone 6s. Also on chrome on a macbook.

I have 18,000 wav files which are on a Synology Diskstation NAS and connect over ethernet but have also tried wifi.  I am outputting via USB to a preamp/dac.  
I've created some m3u playlists with a handful of tracks in the usual place as I fully expect the full library display to be slow.

Firstly, choosing an internet station is fine, playback responds quickly, the playback window updates promptly reporting time and station and behaviour looks absolutely fine.

However, even just selecting one audio track from my library for playback I find the playback display does not update. It shows no info about the track, no countdown, no data at all.  Randomly sometimes something will appear in the playback window. If it does, it'll be massively delayed, maybe the info from two or three songs ago and a countdown that doesn't match current playback.

All commands from the web interface to the player work promptly and in good time, the tracks all play quickly, it's just the reporting back of track data to the web interface that seems to be affected. And only when playing songs for some reason, as I mentioned the radio side of things is fine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Simon
Upcoming moOde 6 should fix this issue. Below is from the release notes

- UPD: Improve Play/Playall response on slower Pi-Zero
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-14-2019, 07:39 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Upcoming moOde 6 should fix this issue. Below is from the release notes

Brilliant, thanks Tim. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Cheers

Simon
@Tim Curtis any idea when v6 or a beta might be available?

I am still on v4.x and using it as we speak connected to a solar panel as a BT radio. The GUI has gone a little crazy which I think might have been caused by a corrupt SD-card. Not blaming the PI zero W for that but the fact that my buffer battery and this climate doesn't help.
So if v6 is in the pipeline I'd rather wait a bit to jump that wagon than going for a v5.x build.
I hope to release moOde 6 sometime b4 the end of July :-)
Enjoy the Music!
Awesome Tim! Guess we'll wait a bit.
(07-14-2019, 07:39 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Upcoming moOde 6 should fix this issue. Below is from the release notes

Hi Tim,

Once again thanks for your efforts with the Moode 6 update.  I'm now running 6.1.0.  Alas, whilst there is a small improvement, the information shown on the web GUI is still 30 seconds behind what's actually happening. I think I must reluctantly accept that the Pi Zero just doesn't have enough grunt to run Moode. I'll order a Pi Zero W and give that a go instead.

Simon
How many tracks in your collection?
Enjoy the Music!
(08-19-2019, 10:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: How many tracks in your collection?

18,986 to be precise!

I manage it through playlists and the current playlist I am testing with has 300 tracks in - not sure if that makes a difference?

Simon
Response lag of 30-sec is quite extreme and would generally suggest some sort of network issue but I'll fire up my 0W in a bit and run some tests.
Enjoy the Music!