Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Question: which Raspberry Pi 4 is optimal?
(06-30-2023, 11:50 PM)Neill Wrote: Is there any update on this thinking?
Currently running a 3b+ with around 1.5tb of library and I'm finding it a bit laggy. Of course it could be that the ext hard drive is shutting down and needs to spin up before opening the library every time. So I'm guessing a pi4 won't help there.

When you say "I'm finding it a bit laggy" are you are referring to the WebUI?

WebUI response issues can have many different causes for example network issues, slow client, slow uSD card, slow storage media, ginormous music library, etc etc
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-01-2023, 02:44 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 11:50 PM)Neill Wrote: Is there any update on this thinking?
Currently running a 3b+ with around 1.5tb of library and I'm finding it a bit laggy. Of course it could be that the ext hard drive is shutting down and needs to spin up before opening the library every time. So I'm guessing a pi4 won't help there.

When you say "I'm finding it a bit laggy" are you are referring to the WebUI?

WebUI response issues can have many different causes for example network issues, slow client, slow uSD card, slow storage media, ginormous music library, etc etc
Thanks for the response Tim, when I say laggy I mean delay after hitting a button on the WebUI seems to have got longer over the last couple of years. Of course, my library has gotten bigger (possibly ginormous - not boasting though) as CDs can be bought so cheaply now in our charity shops. I am talking only a few seconds after first press to "wake it up". Nothing else has changed though. I haven't re-started my network for sometime so I will try that to see if it helps.
Neill, I bet you are right about the external HD spinning down. I mean, yes, it could be any number of things as listed by Tim, but the external HD is the most likely cause.

So unfortunately you will need to find a different reason to buy a Pi 4 :-)

FWIW, I've just bought my first Pi (which is a 4 B 2GB) and it does feel like a bit of overkill for a dedicated moOde player. CPU and RAM utilization is extremely low. A few notes based on some other comments in the thread;

1) I've got mine in a Flirc passive case and it runs cool enough. I absolutely refuse to have an actively cooled device as my audio player.

Code:
moode@moode:~ $ ./my-pi-temp.sh
Wed Dec 20 07:51:26 MST 2023 @ moode
-------------------------------------------
GPU temp  => temp=45.7'C
CPU temp  => 45'C
Core      => volt=0.8600V

I see it climb to 60'C or so sometimes, which is nothing if you consider that these chips are tested up to 120'C and don't even start throttling till around 80-85'C. See here.

2) I'm using a Khadas Tone Board 1 over USB and the audio quality is superb. The only time there is any "popping" is if I am dumb enough to reboot the Pi while my pre-amp and amp are powered up and the pre-amp is set to the DAC input. The easy solution is to switch the pre-amp to a different input while rebooting the Pi.
Yay, another Khadas Tone 1 Board user. I was beginning to think I was the only one. Remarkable performance for the cost. Mind you, I don't use its DSD capability except to test other functionality or user problems. If I did, I'd prefer a DAC which supported hardware volume control with DSD material.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope Yes, I absolutely love the Khadas. I have compared it to DACs several times its price and returned them all because either a) the Khadas sounded better or b) I couldn't hear any difference.

We have reached the point where extremely good audio equipment is incredibly affordable. This doesn't prevent me from blowing money building expensive tube amps, of course. Smile