Thank you for your donation!

CD Ripper
Thats not good since Buster is the new platform. We should retest on moOde 6. I should probably do a beta release since 6 is based on the new Raspbian Lite 2019-07-10 release and 4.19.58 (or higher) kernel. There are tons of bug fixes in the new Raspbian release.

Raspbian Buster is evolving very rapidly :-)
(07-22-2019, 11:18 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Thats not good since Buster is the new platform. We should retest on moOde 6. I should probably do a beta release since 6 is based on the new Raspbian Lite 2019-07-10 release and 4.19.58 (or higher) kernel. There are tons of bug fixes in the new Raspbian release.

Raspbian Buster is evolving very rapidly :-)

Doh!

It's official. I'm suffering old-timers disease.

Remember that RPi4B stress test with SoX resampling cranked up to 32bits/384kHz? I forgot to reset it before I started playing with CD playback in moOde 5.4beta2. Since I simply transferred the uSD card when I repeated the test on an RPi3B+, the same setting applied on that SBC too. 

Finally saw what I'd done when I cranked up the MPD log_level to verbose after I noticed MPD was throwing "Decoder is too slow..." messages.

Haven't noticed any dropouts with moOde 5.4beta2 on the RPi4B since I disabled SoX resampling.

OTOH, with moOde 5.3.1 on an RPi3B+, I don't seem to suffer dropouts with or without SoX resampling to 32bits/384kHz enabled, whereas I did with moOde 5.4beta2 and resampling enabled.

All this, by the way, with a 16bit/48kHz output stream through a Creative Technologies USB-BT adapter to my Sennheiser BT headphones.

On the whole, a happy result but it suggests something subtly different between Raspbian Stretch and Buster. (It also suggests I need better memory aids, but that's a color of a different horse.)

Things which might still be done: See how much resampling is possible without dropouts. See if multithreading the SoX resampling makes a difference. Candidly, I think this is just busy work. The root cause lies elsewhere.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to Kent and Tim for the input on this. There is still a bit of a way to go. I do plan to test this myself on a Raspberry Pi 4B with some of the suggestions that have arisen  from our eMail correspondence. I don't personally have resampling enabled. My next port of call is to see about getting the playlist display to look somewhat prettier and edit my recipe to implement album art in ripping. Then perhaps metadata lookup for playback.