Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

LIRC Problem
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with LIRC.

I am using the Raspberry 3B+ with the newest Moode version and all updates on the pi itself.

I've installed and configured LIRC for Kernel 4.19 like this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...p?t=235256

Then I'm able to run irrecord and it works fine. Mode2 lists me the received codes and the systemcontroll for lirc is also ok.

I moved my file xremote.lircd.conf into /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/ but when I try irw nothing happens.
I've tried many things but I'm not able to get this to work.

The only thing I'm wondering about is that only lirc0 works for me. Lirc1 has disappeared.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,
           Patrick
Hi Patrick ,  and kosto-stavr

I tried installing Lirc today for the latest Kernel and moOde version...Buster....

It does my head in that EVERY time there is a version change in Debian/Raspbian that Lirc is completely unusable...

The config file locations change... the links change... everything that worked for the last iteration now somehow doesn't...

It so predictable you would think that the Lirc and Debin/Raspbian Devs would flag it early....

But no.... it's left to the users to try and nut it out...playing with this and that scrap found here and there...

Like you, I tried the patch you linked and following that thread found that additional packages were needed for Buster Lite.... arrgh !

Still no joy....might have to wait until the dust settles and Lirc catches up...

Meanwhile, for working IR use an older version of moOde ....Stretch based... and check back often...
----------
bob
Ok   some progress.... seems moOde is overwriting the config files at boot... Sad 

Code:
irexec: could not open config files /home/pi/.lircrc and /etc/lirc/lircrc
irexec: No such file or directory
Cannot parse config file

These config files were populated and saved.... irw worked as expected before reboot but after reboot irw and irexec failed as the expected config files had been overwritten and blanked... Huh

How can we save these through reboots ?
----------
bob
(07-27-2019, 07:45 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Ok   some progress.... seems moOde is overwriting the config files at boot... Sad 

Code:
irexec: could not open config files /home/pi/.lircrc and /etc/lirc/lircrc
irexec: No such file or directory
Cannot parse config file

These config files were populated and saved.... irw worked as expected before reboot but after reboot irw and irexec failed as the expected config files had been overwritten and blanked... Huh

How can we save these through reboots ?

Wait, what?

No lirc in play here, but I just created the files /home/pi/.lircrc and /etc/lirc/lircrc on a moOde 5.4beta2 host and rebooted. They're still there, so moOde and Raspbian Buster by themselves are not deleting them.

Regards,
Kent

Regards,
Kent
(07-27-2019, 04:37 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Patrick ,  and kosto-stavr

I tried installing Lirc today for the latest Kernel and moOde version...Buster....

It does my head in that EVERY time there is a version change in Debian/Raspbian that Lirc is completely unusable...

The config file locations change... the links change... everything that worked for the last iteration now somehow doesn't...

It so predictable you would think that the Lirc and Debin/Raspbian Devs would flag it early....

But no.... it's left to the users to try and nut it out...playing with this and that scrap found here and there...

Like you, I tried the patch you linked and following that thread found that additional packages were needed for Buster Lite.... arrgh !

Still no joy....might have to wait until the dust settles and Lirc catches up...

Meanwhile, for working IR use an older version of moOde ....Stretch based... and check back often...

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

It was my failure, I'm using moode 5.3.1, Raspian 9.9, kernel 4.19.57-v7+

My files are still there after a reboot but when I try the command irw nothing happens.

Best regards,
       Patrick
Progress to report.... the files now survive a reboot,  irw and irexec both work as expected.
To get this far I used ...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...p?t=235256
(Thank you Patrick for the link)
It was necessary to add several packages not shown in the tutorial...see page 2 of that thread... as the tutorial is for full Raspbian and moOde uses Lite.

The installs all complain about missing dependencies and I had to accept stable not testing repo then append -- fix missing to most installs as instructed by their error messages.

Used the Buster tutorial and ran both the pre and post commands then reran the last line of the install when it then completed without errors...
However, I only used a ir receiver and not a transmitter as well so it seemed to default to lirc0 and not lirc1 as instructions showed...so amended that in /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf

After confirming all was well with..
Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
ls -l /dev/lirc0
ps aux | grep lirc

I was then able to run irw and irexec successfully.

What I can't do is get lirc to start on boot using the previously working edit to systemctl...
Code:
sudo systemctl edit irexec

and add....
Code:
[Service]
User=pi
Group=pi
Has this changed for Buster ?
(Previously here worked ..
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...69#pid2469

However, by editing /etc/rc.local
and adding

Code:
sudo -u pi irexec -d
I can get lirc to start and run at boot... not ideal but may have to suffice until wiser heads can point out the solution to systemctl.

Any help appreciated....
----------
bob
(07-27-2019, 04:34 PM)Paddy_B Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 04:37 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Patrick ,  and kosto-stavr

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

It was my failure, I'm using moode 5.3.1, Raspian 9.9, kernel 4.19.57-v7+

My files are still there after a reboot but when I try the command irw nothing happens.

Best regards,
       Patrick

I finally found out what's the solution for my problem and want to let know everybody who has the same problem.

Don't install the patch I've shared above on Raspbian Stretch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The patch is already included in the version 5.3.1 of Moode and it works without to do anything in additon.
When you install the patch irw will not work!!!!

All you have to do is to follow these instruction:
http://gernot-walzl.at/index.php?nav=.%2...ian%2FLIRC

The command to start irrecord is      sudo irrecord -n -d /dev/lirc0    and you have to start it at the pi direction.

It took me some time but I hope I am able to help anybody how struggles with this.

Best regards from Austria,
                                          Patrick
Quote:I finally found out what's the solution for my problem and want to let know everybody who has the same problem.

Don't install the patch I've shared above on Raspbian Stretch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The patch is already included in the version 5.3.1 of Moode and it works without to do anything in additon.

http://gernot-walzl.at/index.php?nav=.%2...ian%2FLIRC

The command to start irrecord is      sudo irrecord -n -d /dev/lirc0    and you have to start it at the pi direction.

It took me some time but I hope I am able to help anybody how struggles with this.

Patrick

Hi Patrick:

I'm having the same issue about LIRC and was very happy to read this solution.  So I follow those instructions carefully but didn't succeed. :-(

LIRC seemed to install correctly.  I lunched those commands for the first test:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lircd stop
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

The first line did worked and returned the stop confirmation.  But the second one returned this:

Code:
Cannot initiate device /dev/lirc0

So I tough the installer just "forgot" to create the file and I created one empty lirc0 with nano text editor.  I retried the second command but no luck. I can't go any further for now.

If someone can give a working and tested solution, I would appreciate very much.

Christian
[quote pid='11928' dateline='1564754761']

Code:
I finally found out what's the solution for my problem and want to let know everybody who has the same problem.

http://gernot-walzl.at/index.php?nav=.%2FDebian%2FRaspbian%2FLIRC

Patrick
Hi Patrick:

I followed the link and tried to install LIRC on  my RPi 4 with moOde release  6.7.0 (2020-07-19)

But when I try to test the installation with the following commands:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lircd stop
It returned

Code:
Stopping lircd (via systemctl): lircd.serviceWarning: Stopping lircd.service, but it can still be activated by:
  lircd.socket

as expected.  But when I issue this command:

Code:
mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

It returns this error:
Cannot initiate device /dev/lirc0
[/quote]
So I tried to create a "dummy" lirc0 file with the nano text editor.  No luck.  Same error

Any idea?
Try another lirc device...? (has worked for me in the past.)

Code:
mode2 -d /dev/lirc1

I gave up on lirc and their hopeless and inscrutable instructions (always a version behind the current release) and went with Flirc.... Wink

Works every time..(and Kent's (@TheOldPresbyope ) how-to for MoOde is great)  Cool
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1529

and triggerhappy may be even better but I have yet to see a step by step How-to for that...
----------
bob