Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Small audio setup for kitchen
Hi all,
after building my network streamer for the main room in my house (using RPi3 + HifiBerry DAC PRO + ) and connected to my stereo integrated amplifier, I'd like to build a small system to play music in my kitchen. 
Requirements:
1) An all-in-one system RPI based, with additional Amp+DAC board
2) A couple of small bookshelf (for this I could probably reused a couple of  dismissed bookshelf speakers)
3) Eventually using powered with a power bank (no electrical plug close to the shelf on which I'd like to place the system
4) Sources would be Internet Radios and TIDAL (I have an Hi-Fi  account used also in my network streamer), plus occasionally Spotify via AirPlay
5) A knob to manage volume
6) No display
7) Hopefully a momentary button to turn on/off the system
8) Optionally an headphone output, in alternative the possibility to connect a Bluetooth headphone

and obviously Moode as a software player !!!

QUESTIONS:

1) The first issue will be the choice of the Amp Board , clearly shall be an HAT Amp board, having built-in DAC capabilities and able to connect a couple of speakers. I've seen a lot of models and producers (HifiBerry of course,  Suptronics, Audiophonics, JustBoom, etc).  Another requirement (even if having minor priority) is to have already soldered (or even not at all requiring soldering) to make available the 40-pins extension header.  Any suggestion about the amp HAT board?

2) The other question is about the volume control. In my streamer I disabled it, letting to manage it through the amplifier knob. Here, not having a separate amplifier, I think I'd have to use a physical knob, or is it enough to set it as "software" in the Moode settings, and managing it through Moode web UI ?

3) The third problem is the power. Clearly shall be better to have a button to safely shutdown and start the RPI (in the network streamer I used a Mauseberry specific micro-board to manage it, here there's no space to do it). Alternative to the plugging-unplugging of the power cable should be a switch on the cable (similar to the one used in the lamps), this avoid to damage the power slot of the board, but can be dangerous for the RPI and the running software on board).

4) Finally a case, I'd like to have a ready-to-use case, but the selection I think strictly depends by the above points (an hole  for a knob, an hole for the button...)

Any suggestion is welcome !
Thanks in advance 
Andrea
(07-29-2019, 02:56 PM)mancio61 Wrote: Hi all,
after building my network streamer for the main room in my house (using RPi3 + HifiBerry DAC PRO + ) and connected to my stereo integrated amplifier, I'd like to build a small system to play music in my kitchen. 
Requirements:
1) An all-in-one system RPI based, with additional Amp+DAC board
2) A couple of small bookshelf (for this I could probably reused a couple of  dismissed bookshelf speakers)
3) Eventually using powered with a power bank (no electrical plug close to the shelf on which I'd like to place the system
4) Sources would be Internet Radios and TIDAL (I have an Hi-Fi  account used also in my network streamer), plus occasionally Spotify via AirPlay
5) A knob to manage volume
6) No display
7) Hopefully a momentary button to turn on/off the system
8) Optionally an headphone output, in alternative the possibility to connect a Bluetooth headphone

and obviously Moode as a software player !!!

QUESTIONS:

1) The first issue will be the choice of the Amp Board , clearly shall be an HAT Amp board, having built-in DAC capabilities and able to connect a couple of speakers. I've seen a lot of models and producers (HifiBerry of course,  Suptronics, Audiophonics, JustBoom, etc).  Another requirement (even if having minor priority) is to have already soldered (or even not at all requiring soldering) to make available the 40-pins extension header.  Any suggestion about the amp HAT board?

2) The other question is about the volume control. In my streamer I disabled it, letting to manage it through the amplifier knob. Here, not having a separate amplifier, I think I'd have to use a physical knob, or is it enough to set it as "software" in the Moode settings, and managing it through Moode web UI ?

3) The third problem is the power. Clearly shall be better to have a button to safely shutdown and start the RPI (in the network streamer I used a Mauseberry specific micro-board to manage it, here there's no space to do it). Alternative to the plugging-unplugging of the power cable should be a switch on the cable (similar to the one used in the lamps), this avoid to damage the power slot of the board, but can be dangerous for the RPI and the running software on board).

4) Finally a case, I'd like to have a ready-to-use case, but the selection I think strictly depends by the above points (an hole  for a knob, an hole for the button...)

Any suggestion is welcome !
Thanks in advance 
Andrea

A nice Amp board is the IQaudIO Pi-DigiAmp+. It has a full 40-pin extension header making it easy to connect a rotary encoder or other GPIO peripherals. http://iqaudio.co.uk/hats/9-pi-digiamp.html

I wouldn't worry too much about just pulling the plug. I do it all the time and have never had an issue with uSD card failure. I've been using Sandisk Ultra Class 10 cards for over 5 years. You could also just leave the unit on 7/24. It consumes minuscule amounts of power.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Tongue 
Tim => You could also just leave the unit on 7/24. It consumes minuscule amounts of power.

I agree. I have (two) RasPi running with AMP2.

If no music is played, the measured current consumption at 19.5 V is 80-120 mA => Approx. 2 watts per hour.

That means here in Germany (we have high prices for electricity) the costs are € 5.50 ..... per year.

Regards
Norbert