Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Does anyone use the Compilation Rollup option?
All my compilation albums have 'Various Artists' as the AlbumArtist tag so I wouldn't miss the Compilation Rollup option.

Thanks for all your hard work!
(08-06-2019, 03:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi,

The crew is trying to determine whether the Compilation Rollup option, which was added to Library options in the early days of moOde, is being used anymore.

The alternative is to simply set the AlbumArtist tag to "Various Artists" for any compilation albums in the collection.

-Tim

I definitely use this option. it seems that it has disappeared in 6.0.0. Please restore it!
(08-13-2019, 11:15 PM)moodenigo Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 03:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi,

The crew is trying to determine whether the Compilation Rollup option, which was added to Library options in the early days of moOde, is being used anymore.

The alternative is to simply set the AlbumArtist tag to "Various Artists" for any compilation albums in the collection.

-Tim

I definitely use this option. it seems that it has disappeared in 6.0.0. Please restore it!

I agree!  The reason I’m here is because I couldn’t find the option in 6.0.0.  I’d also like to see it restored.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
We have moved to the common method of using the Album Artist tag.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...3#pid12183
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-06-2019, 10:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 10:05 PM)dwlacroix Wrote: It is turned off on my setup.

I don't realize how many albums I owned with the same name until I started using Moode. Pictures At An Exhibition was an interesting experience when I first queued it up (Prog rock, electronic, and symphony).

Cool example!

I have a fantastic recording of the Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition played on pipe organ (can't remember the performer offhand) - it's particularly good at shaking the house when I have the sub turned on. Has long been part of my audio test suite Smile
(08-14-2019, 02:10 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: We have moved to the common method of using the Album Artist tag.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...3#pid12183

As you note, some ripping applications, including iTunes, don't set the album artist to "Various Artists." But iTunes does set the MP3 tag TCMP to 1 (see http://id3.org/iTunes%20Compilation%20Flag).  It's set in all of my compilation albums, of which I have more than 50 with over 1,100 tracks between them.

Apple's TCMP flag is a much better mechanism as it works even when the album artist is set to "varios artistas," "artistes variés," "Verskeie Kunstenaars," "多位艺术家," etc. (Errors in translation are Google's fault.)

So if TCMP is present and is equal to 1 <OR> Album Artist is "Various Artists" (case insensitive, of course), then you've identified a compilation.  That minor logic change would make things better for many users.  Later on, you could add various language translations of "various artists" if you so chose.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
Hey, guys.

MPD is the keyhole through which moOde looks at the library. Only the tags stored in the MPD database are available. 

See the MPD docs for the current list of the MPD tags.

Also be aware that more than one metadata tagging scheme is used in music (Id3, VORBIS comments, etc.) and you have to hope that the MPD decoders/tag plugins map these consistently into the MPD set of tags.

Regards,
Kent

PS - note that in the file format biz, the word "tag" refers to the block of metadata associated with the encoded music (like a tag on a shirt in the store). Here I'm using it in the common vernacular, the individual pieces of metadata, which are called different things in different metadata schemes.
Right. It's within MPD that the tags are actually parsed out of the song files and since there is no standard tag for "compilation" MPD does not include one in its list of supported tags.

iTunes use of the TCMP frame to indicate a compilation is an id3V2 compliance issue and so I'm not too keen on perpetuating this by developing code to parse out the frame from every song file. It would also impact the performance of the Library loader.
http://id3.org/Compliance%20Issues

If another dev wants to develop the parsing code then I'll be happy to have a look at it because the logic proposed by @fmaxwell is straight forward and it could easily be added as an option "Use iTunes compilation tag" Yes/No.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks, Tim,

That does it!  I'm going to start a band called "Various Artists" just to screw with your compilation detection.   Big Grin

But, seriously, I clearly didn't research the MPD stuff first, so that's my bad.  It's unfortunate that the ID3 tag standard doesn't include something so basic as a part-of-a-compilation indicator, but I understand the desire to not reward Apple for a non-standard addition, no matter how useful it might be.  Apple sells all over the world, so a compilation detection mechanism that required users to use the English phrase "Various Artists" isn't really an option for them.

Your method works fine and I've taken care of the tagging quickly.  I'd recommend that you let people select their own album artist string to indicate that it's a compilation, adapting to other languages or other preferences ("Various," "Multiple," "Misc. Artists," etc.)

Thanks for all of your efforts.  moOde 6.0.0 is working wonderfully on my Pi 3B, though I'm eager for a Pi 4 4GB to become available at my local Micro Center (they have 2GB models as of this morning).

-- Fred
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
LOL, thats a brilliant idea ;-)

Actually moOde doesn't require the string to be "Various Artists" or be in English. It can be any string at all as long as the same string is used in the Album Artist tag for all compilation albums in the collection :-)
Enjoy the Music!