Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Tidal I am confused
i use Tidal with MooDe by app on either iPad or iPhone which sees MoOde as Airplay, am I actually sending ones and noughts via my phone to the Pi? Am I missing out on a way to do this more effectively and better sounding? Note Pi/Allo Digione is pretty amazing already.
Thanks
Personally I hate to have my phone as part of the audio chain. Whenever I leave the house and comes back it's a nightmare to reconnect. Further I'm not convinced that my phone is the best piece of audio equipment - but I must admit I didn't test it in anyway. It's just to inconvenient. At least with Android.

I have a Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on my network. Even though it's old It can do a lot of fancy stuff - sound from youtube clips, music from Band Camp and Tidal - among other things. Squeezelite takes care of playing through Moode.
LMS requires another computer. But it can really be anything. Windows - Linux - Whatever. Maybe even another Raspberry Pi but I haven't tried that.
Find it here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9
Not sure where the confusion arose, but moOde includes a UPnP-subsystem based on upmpdcli. You can create a Tidal account in the UPnP Config panel (reached from the Audio Config panel) then control moOde using a UPnP Control Point (such as the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone). 

You'll still need the phone or some other UPnP Control Point to browse and select but the "ones and zeroes" will be coming straight to moOde from the Tidal servers.  The phone can even be turned off once a list of Tidal tracks has been cued in moOde.[url=https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/][/url]

Regards,
Kent
(08-14-2019, 10:22 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Not sure where the confusion arose, but moOde includes a UPnP-subsystem based on upmpdcli. You can create a Tidal account in the UPnP Config panel (reached from the Audio Config panel) then control moOde using a UPnP Control Point (such as the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone). 

You'll still need the phone or some other UPnP Control Point to browse and select but the "ones and zeroes" will be coming straight to moOde from the Tidal servers.  The phone can even be turned off once a list of Tidal tracks has been cued in moOde.[url=https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/][/url]

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent, that's the bit I was missing, I was sure there must be a way to directly connect MoodE to Tidal. thanks for the explanation.

Update - downloaded Mconnect all working now, is it my imagination it sounds better?
@vilmann
=> Whenever I leave the house and comes back it's a nightmare to reconnect.
What? When I come home my phone automatically switches from mobile data connection to wifi. Or do you mean Bluetooth?

=> Further I'm not convinced that my phone is the best piece of audio equipment
It does not have to. You can/should use it as a control for moode

=> LMS requires another computer.
No, I have LMS (for testing) installed on the same RasPi running the client / renderer, without any problems.

Regards Norbert
(08-16-2019, 01:54 AM)Norbert Wrote: @vilmann
> => Whenever I leave the house and comes back it's a nightmare to reconnect.
> What? When I come home my phone automatically switches from mobile data connection to wifi. Or do you mean Bluetooth?
>
> => Further I'm not convinced that my phone is the best piece of audio equipment
> It does not have to. You can/should use it as a control for moode

Agree. Things have changed a lot since I tried this.

I just installed Bubble UPNP again. I'm still not impressed. It's incredibly slow. In the middle of a song it decides to skip to the next song. In some aspects the interface is slightly better than LMS. But it's way too slow.

There is a Linn app that does the same thing?

> => LMS requires another computer.
> No, I have LMS (for testing) installed on the same RasPi running the client / renderer, without any problems.

yes - of course you can. But squeezelite is a threaded application. Unlike MPD it likes CPU-cores. The more the better. If you run LMS on the same cores it will occupy ressources that are better used for squeezelite. Of course it will play, but you can actually hear if Squeezelite runs only on one core. the sound is flat and boring.

LMS can stay on my basement server - or another RPi. Smile

/kristian