Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Ideas and Questions
Rainbow 
Hello fellow MoOde users

I recently installed your Software and wow, respect for this piece of artwork.

I now just have some Questions and ideas.

Firstly the questions:
-GPIO is there somewhere a list of all the GPIO commands possible in your software?
-Is there a possibility to use apt-x as standard bluetooth profile?
-Is there a way to control the Bluetooth Music of a device? Like the Play / Stop comand also working for bluetooth source (as by a headset).
-My Device shows no update for the new version 6.0.0 when I hit the check for update button, is this normal? do I have to wait? (Connection to Internet works.)

Now the Ideas (maybe a bit overkill ^^ ):
-CD integration, would it be possible to integrate support for CD drives? As I read mpd should support it.
-Browser implementation or a Button to generally start programs. I would like to be able to start some installed programs (Browser, DAB+, VLC) but I would need a 
 Button in the UI.
-Very nice would be the possibility to also do it with a Hardwarebutton.
-Is it possible to use Software in the webserver? I don't think so right?
-If not possible to use Software on the Webserver, would it be possible to use VNC for one connection to use also the Software? A VNC option would be great.
 I have best experiences with TightVNC.
-Would it be possible to add support for DAB Sticks? There's open source software here:https://www.sdr-j.tk/index.html also a command line tool version!.
-Could you please integrate the SWR radio stations? (german, mainly the SWR3) Link here: SWR3
-If not yet included, could you integrate APT-x support? Would be a great plus for audio quality.
-Would it be possible to use an internal browser with maybe the possibility of an adblocker to use YouTube locally on the device?
-Would it be possible to have some status reports via GPIO? I would like to have an Output if music is running and when the UI is on, for a personal Project.
 (Turning on an amp with serial connection and turn off a touch screen with just a hardware backlight switch.)
 (I saw the script otion when the UI changes is this the solution for the UI thing I want?)
-The possibility to import playlists would be great, as I heard it would just have to be moved into a folder of mpd.

All in all a truly great thing which saved me from a lot of work I would have had to do for this project.
To understand what I am doing here, it's a modernisation of an old music component system which was but built in the 80's and supports serial commands.
I want to get it into the world of today and will host a second raspberry with serial connection and an online interface to control all Devices.

And to have same functionality I need the information if moode is on, if I turn on for example the tuner, the amp goes on and chooses the right input, I want to do the same for moode. And I also want to have the possibility to listen to Radio, as FM will be shut down in some years DAB is a great alternative.
With the new Raspbery and just VLC I even could try to play DVD's from a CD Drive. Aah the possibilites are so bright and great, thanks a lot!

If I ever finish this project (I also want to built a housing with nice metal front etc.). For sure I could send you some pictures you could use for advertising this great Project on your website.

Thanks for just reading these things and some information, Just take the time you need to answer, no stress needed!
Also a big thanks for the great software.

Best regards, sincerely Ale Smile
Creating solutions, not finding problems.
(08-11-2019, 02:50 PM)Ale2.0 Wrote: Hello fellow MoOde users

I recently installed your Software and wow, respect for this piece of artwork.

I now just have some Questions and ideas.

Firstly the questions:
-GPIO is there somewhere a list of all the GPIO commands possible in your software?
-Is there a possibility to use apt-x as standard bluetooth profile?
-Is there a way to control the Bluetooth Music of a device? Like the Play / Stop comand also working for bluetooth source (as by a headset).
-My Device shows no update for the new version 6.0.0 when I hit the check for update button, is this normal? do I have to wait? (Connection to Internet works.)

-CD integration, would it be possible to integrate support for CD drives? As I read mpd should support it.
-Browser implementation or a Button to generally start programs. I would like to be able to start some installed programs (Browser, DAB+, VLC) but I would need a 
 Button in the UI.
-Very nice would be the possibility to also do it with a Hardwarebutton.
-Is it possible to use Software in the webserver? I don't think so right?
-If not possible to use Software on the Webserver, would it be possible to use VNC for one connection to use also the Software? A VNC option would be great.
-Would it be possible to add support for DAB Sticks? There's open source software here:https://www.sdr-j.tk/index.html also a command line tool version!.
-Could you please integrate the SWR radio stations? (german, mainly the SWR3) Link here: SWR3
-If not yet included, could you integrate APT-x support? Would be a great plus for audio quality.
-Would it be possible to use an internal browser with maybe the possibility of an adblocker to use YouTube locally on the device?
-Would it be possible to have some status reports via GPIO? I would like to have an Output if music is running and when the UI is on, for a personal Project.
 (Turning on an amp with serial connection and turn off a touch screen with just a hardware backlight switch.)
 (I saw the script otion when the UI changes is this the solution for the UI thing I want?)
-The possibility to import playlists would be great, as I heard it would just have to be moved into a folder of mpd.

All in all a truly great thing which saved me from a lot of work I would have had to do for this project.
To understand what I am doing here, it's a modernisation of an old music component system which was but built in the 80's and supports serial commands.
I want to get it into the world of today and will host a second raspberry with serial connection and an online interface to control all Devices.

And to have same functionality I need the information if moode is on, if I turn on for example the tuner, the amp goes on and chooses the right input, I want to do the same for moode. And I also want to have the possibility to listen to Radio, as FM will be shut down in some years DAB is a great alternative.
With the new Raspbery and just VLC I even could try to play DVD's from a CD Drive. Aah the possibilites are so bright and great, thanks a lot!

If I ever finish this project (I also want to built a housing with nice metal front etc.). For sure I could send you some pictures you could use for advertising this great Project on your website.

Thanks for just reading these things and some information, Just take the time you need to answer, no stress needed!
Also a big thanks for the great software.

Best regards, sincerely Ale Smile

Sounds like a really cool project :-)

Answers in italics.

Firstly the questions:
1. GPIO is there somewhere a list of all the GPIO commands possible in your software?

In the GPIO button handler you can specify an individual command and its arguments for example "mpc next" or if you need to run multiple commands then specify the path to an executable script.

2. Is there a possibility to use apt-x as standard bluetooth profile?

It's part of bluez-alsa repo but the compile in moOde does not specify the --enable-aptx option because of
https://github.com/Arkq/openaptx

3. Is there a way to control the Bluetooth Music of a device? Like the Play / Stop comand also working for bluetooth source (as by a headset).

I don't quite understand this question

4. My Device shows no update for the new version 6.0.0 when I hit the check for update button, is this normal? do I have to wait? (Connection to Internet works.)

It should show "Software is up to date" until  a 6.0.1 in-place update is released, then it will offer INSTALL and VIEW options.

1. CD integration, would it be possible to integrate support for CD drives? As I read mpd should support it.

We are looking into supporting CD play / rip but frankly I'm not really that interested in spending time on it cos it's clunky and old tech, and most computer audio enthusiasts already rip their CD's using well known and widely available ripping software. If however another developer writes the code, integrates it into moOde AND does user support for it then I'm ok with it.

2. Browser implementation or a Button to generally start programs. I would like to be able to start some installed programs (Browser, DAB+, VLC) but I would need a Button in the UI.

Where would such a button be placed in the UI and what's the usage scenario?

2. Very nice would be the possibility to also do it with a Hardwarebutton.

This can be done using the GPIO button handler in System config.

3. Is it possible to use Software in the webserver? I don't think so right?

You can modify any part of the code but there is no guarantee that your modifications will not cause breakage in moOde's code or configuration.

4. If not possible to use Software on the Webserver, would it be possible to use VNC for one connection to use also the Software? A VNC option would be great. 

We have no plans to embed remote connection software in moOde because it would expose users to security issues but there is nothing stopping users from doing this themselves.

5. Would it be possible to add support for DAB Sticks? There's open source software here:https://www.sdr-j.tk/index.html also a command line tool version!.

Anything is possible but there has to be (a) demand for the feature, (b) developer interested in working on it AND providing user support for it, © test hardware provided to developer, etc. I don't think DAB hardware works in US so the dev would have to be someone in EU.

6. Could you please integrate the SWR radio stations? (german, mainly the SWR3) Link here: SWR3

I'll check them out but in the meantime you can simply add them yourself using the + icon in Radio view.

7. If not yet included, could you integrate APT-x support? Would be a great plus for audio quality.

Refer to #2 in your list of questions

8. Would it be possible to use an internal browser with maybe the possibility of an adblocker to use YouTube locally on the device?

Chromium browser is already installed in moOde. It's used to provide the Local UI feature but we don't have any plan to use or integrate Chromium into the moOde UI as a general purpose Browser/Player for Internet content.

9. Would it be possible to have some status reports via GPIO? I would like to have an Output if music is running and when the UI is on, for a personal Project.

You might be able to use the "Metadata file" file that moOde generates. The option is in System config. You would need to write some sort of script that polls and parses the file to get the player state. 

10. The possibility to import playlists would be great, as I heard it would just have to be moved into a folder of mpd.

Just connect to the Samba share "moode" and "Playlists" will be one of the folders in the list.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Quote:-My Device shows no update for the new version 6.0.0 when I hit the check for update button, is this normal? do I have to wait? (Connection to Internet works.)

I'm guessing here that your current install is not version 6.0 and that you are checking the software update in the system tab ?

Version 6.0 has some fundamental changes that preclude an in place update from previous releases....
You will need to download and reinstall from the newly released 6.0 image.
----------
bob
@Ale2.0

As Tim says you could compile aptX into the underlying bluez-alsa on your own. I decided not to fiddle with it and instead buy a USB-BT adapter with aptX support built in. in my case I'm using the Creative BT-W2 which enumerates in moOde as a USB audio device. I use it to drive my Sennheiser wireless headphones. This approach sidesteps the Linux Bluetooth subsystem altogether. 

As for GUI-based apps like a web browser, YouTube, and VLC (well, ok, so VLC also has a CLI), which are rather far afield from intended use-cases of the moOde UI, how about just put another RPi in the cabinet with a reasonably sized display screen run full Raspbian customized however you like it, and couple it to the headless moOde player? Just thinking off the top of my head here, but the total investment would still be modest and it lets moOde be moOde.

Regards,
Kent
Thumbs Up 
So long...
Excuse the time needed until now. I just had to fiddle around with my apprenticeship and had no time for my projects.

But now I am back! So let's get back to work.

To the Bluetooth subject, I bought an I2S USB receiver which is directly connected to my Hifiberry DAC+ DSP.

Now the Subjects in Italic Wink

Updates
I think it was an original 6.0.0 Installation. But to finish the Project I will flash newly anyway.

CD
It is Okay if you don't support it. I think if I just install VLC it should work also.

Custom Interface Elements for Browser etc.
My usecase would be once to start the Browser to use Youtube or general streaming, otherwise to use a program to control my SDR DAB USB-Stick. It allows me to listen to DAB+ radio or general frequency based streaming. Also then I could open VLC, play a Video and output it with the HDMI.

GPIO
To connect it with the UI topic, as I can run Scripts it should be possible to start a program like a Browser or the DAB-Software. Thats great!
Sadly then I will still not be able to start the software while using the VNC connection.

Software in the Webserver
As the Web Interface is not a "Streamy" thing it will not easily be possible to integrate software like the DAB-Software.
As most of the time I will be the only person using it I will configure VNC to have a single Display streaming thing.

The Bluetooth thingy again
Yeah I solved it with the use of the external Bluetooth receiver.
I thought of Bluetooth commands like pause, next etc. triggered via GPIO.
This way I could do a physical button with play/pause and it would play/pause the music at the remote device.

Status indication
This is some sort of sad. It will be complicated but first I will complete the other topics above anyway so this will follow up later.

One question stays
What is the Script option when the UI changes, when will it be triggered?
(Point in the Settings)

Yeah Thank you and maybe you now understand my aims.

The final goal is to have a Device which supports my old amplifier with new functionality.
To do this I think I will create a decent case with hardware Buttons.

And thanks again for this great project! Big Grin
Creating solutions, not finding problems.
CD playback is now possible...
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2091
----------
bob