Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Interface issues report
Raspberry Pi 3, Allo Boss DAC 1.2, MoOde 4.1, Lenovo Tab 3, Chrome 66, Firefox beta 59.02.

1. MoOde > Customize > Background Image > Choose
First Chrome asks to record picture and sound, then reports "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped", twice, and then drops out to a white page with a whirly that doesn't stop.

2. MoOde is only about 30% functional in the Firefox beta on Android.

Best,

John
(05-07-2018, 02:09 PM)Listener Wrote: Raspberry Pi 3, Allo Boss DAC 1.2, MoOde 4.1, Lenovo Tab 3, Chrome 66, Firefox beta 59.02.

1. MoOde > Customize > Background Image > Choose
First Chrome asks to record picture and sound, then reports "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped", twice, and then drops out to a white page with a whirly that doesn't stop.

2. MoOde is only about 30% functional in the Firefox beta on Android.

Best,

John

Hi, John.

Your browsers have to ask for permission to access the media folders for this exercise because of the Android security model. Respond "ok". 

Don't know why your Chrome stopped. I'm using Chrome 66 on a Nexus 9 tablet running Android 7.1.1 and on a Nexus 6P phone running Android 8.1. I'm not having difficulties. I wonder if there was an issue with the image you chose? I don't remember how big the jpg image can be.

As for Firefox 59.0.2, I have that on my Nexus devices as well (Opera too, for that matter). It appears to me to be fully functional with moOde although I can't claim to have exercised every path through the UI. In what way is yours dysfunctional?

Regards,
Kent
(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hi, John.

Your browsers have to ask for permission to access the media folders for this exercise because of the Android security model. Respond "ok". 

Don't know why your Chrome stopped. I'm using Chrome 66 on a Nexus 9 tablet running Android 7.1.1 and on a Nexus 6P phone running Android 8.1. I'm not having difficulties. I wonder if there was an issue with the image you chose? I don't remember how big the jpg image can be.

As for Firefox 59.0.2, I have that on my Nexus devices as well (Opera too, for that matter). It appears to me to be fully functional with moOde although I can't claim to have exercised every path through the UI. In what way is yours dysfunctional?

Regards,
Kent

I hope to have some time this weekend to take some screen shots to elucidate.

John
(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Your browsers have to ask for permission to access the media folders for this exercise because of the Android security model. Respond "ok". 

OK Kent, I have found the problem, it is not how big, but how small... It was a brand new tablet and the image directory was empty. After I took a couple of screen shots to demo the problem the command succeeded because the screen shots were there and the directory was no longer empty. The bottom line is that the find-a-background-image routine hangs if it finds an empty directory.

I'll take up the Firefox stuff next.

Best,

John
(05-13-2018, 09:24 PM)Listener Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Your browsers have to ask for permission to access the media folders for this exercise because of the Android security model. Respond "ok". 

OK Kent, I have found the problem, it is not how big, but how small... It was a brand new tablet and the image directory was empty. After I took a couple of screen shots to demo the problem the command succeeded because the screen shots were there and the directory was no longer empty. The bottom line is that the find-a-background-image routine hangs if it finds an empty directory.

I'll take up the Firefox stuff next.

Best,

John

Good find, John. Sounds like a tweak is in order.

Regards,
Kent
(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: As for Firefox 59.0.2, I have that on my Nexus devices as well (Opera too, for that matter). It appears to me to be fully functional with moOde although I can't claim to have exercised every path through the UI. In what way is yours dysfunctional?

Hi Kent,

In the interim Firefox updated to version 60 and MoOde runs much better on it now. The main problem now is the the touch interface seems flakey. For example, on a set up screen tapping an 'i' for information work as expected in Chrome, with one tap opening the dialog and another tap closing it. On Firefox one tap somtimes opens the dialog and the next tap rarely closes it. This problem of flakey tapping seems to pervade the Firefox interface. For example, play/pause can require any number of taps to change moOde's state and sometimes just won't change it at all.

This sort of thing doesn't lend itself to screen shots, though I guess I could video it if that would help.

Best,

John
Firefox has always been problematic based on feedback I've received over the years. Given that moOde does not contain any Browser-specific coding, I'd simply avoid Firefox.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-13-2018, 10:41 PM)Listener Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: As for Firefox 59.0.2, I have that on my Nexus devices as well (Opera too, for that matter). It appears to me to be fully functional with moOde although I can't claim to have exercised every path through the UI. In what way is yours dysfunctional?

Hi Kent,

In the interim Firefox updated to version 60 and MoOde runs much better on it now. The main problem now is the the touch interface seems flakey. For example, on a set up screen tapping an 'i' for information work as expected in Chrome, with one tap opening the dialog and another tap closing it. On Firefox one tap somtimes opens the dialog and the next tap rarely closes it. This problem of flakey tapping seems to pervade the Firefox interface. For example, play/pause can require any number of taps to change moOde's state and sometimes just won't change it at all.

This sort of thing doesn't lend itself to screen shots, though I guess I could video it if that would help.

Best,

John

Hi, John. 

I don't see anything like this in my Firefox browsers in either portrait or landscape mode on my Nexus 9 tablet (Android 7.1.1) or Nexus 6P phone (Android 8.1). It is just as usable as Chrome or Opera. (I mention portrait and landscape modes because they may exercise different CSS in the moOde UI, depending on the screen geometry.)

On the other hand, on the ancient---in dog years---Nexus 7 (Android 6.0.1) I just dug out of the drawer, every browser is sluggish and not pleasant to use. It's possible the antivirus software I'm running is making things worse. Perhaps Firefox is the least responsive but it's not something I can quantify.

I have no experience with a Lenovo Tab 3. I have no idea if this device, the base version of Android on it, or any customizations Lenovo may have made to it is relevant to your issue.

Regards,
Kent