Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sort albums by year
The problem with this feature is there is no tag that represents the album release date, there is only the tag 'Date" that represents the song's release date.

Tags that MPD supports
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/protocol.html

So what we end up with is no good way to handle the case where tracks within an album have different dates.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
In version 6 this part code has been rewritten and needs to be changed:

up to 5:
$album = $flatData['Album'] ? $flatData['Date'] . ' - ' . $flatData['Album'] : 'Unknown';

6 and newer (I guess):
'album' => ($flatData['Album'] ? $flatData['Date'] . ' - ' . $flatData['Album'] : 'Unknown'),
Hi there, 

I'm testing the line to get the date in the album string, I kind of like it. I'm not sure how to do this, but maybe a solution to the multiple dates problem within an album or a compilation could be to have either a single date when they are defined + in agreement, and a range if they aren't (e.g., "1986-1993"). I guess there's no easy way of doing that right? Looks like we would need to scan all the songs from a given album first. 

Cheers,
MV

PS: by the way, I've been using Moode Audio for a while, but there's a question I've always had in mind: can you select several albums and get the song list, say, by clicking on the album heading? You can play the list by clicking on the icon in the bottom, but the list is never shown (or I don't know how to do it).
Multi-select is not supported.

Click the ellipsis ... icon on the album cover and then "Show tracks"
Enjoy the Music!
(09-05-2019, 09:31 PM)deztiny Wrote: In version 6 this part code has been rewritten and needs to be changed:

up to 5:
$album = $flatData['Album'] ? $flatData['Date'] . ' - ' . $flatData['Album'] : 'Unknown';

6 and newer (I guess):
'album' => ($flatData['Album'] ? $flatData['Date'] . ' - ' . $flatData['Album'] : 'Unknown'),

Hi,

After looking at the code, the new library loader actually makes grouping by date pretty easy so I'm thinking of including it in the moOde 6.3.0 release (sometime in October).

It will probably be a dropdown in Library Options.

Album grouping: [by Artist         ]
- by Artist
- by Album
- by Year

To deal with album tracks that have different years, the code will select either the highest or the lowest year. I'm not sure which is best yet.

Questions:

1. Use highest or lowest year?
2. Display year underneath the cover?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(09-14-2019, 06:03 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 09:31 PM)deztiny Wrote: In version 6 this part code has been rewritten and needs to be changed:

up to 5:

6 and newer (I guess):

Hi,

After looking at the code, the new library loader actually makes grouping by date pretty easy so I'm thinking of including it in the moOde 6.3.0 release (sometime in October).

It will probably be a dropdown in Library Options.

- by Artist
- by Album
- by Year

To deal with album tracks that have different years, the code will select either the highest or the lowest year. I'm not sure which is best yet.

Questions:

-Tim

Here's a screenie showing group by year with year displayed under the cover.

Enjoy the Music!
@Tim Curtis

Quote:Here's a screenie showing group by year with year displayed under the cover.

Probably not a feature I'll use much but it looks good and +1 for demonstrating it with some classic jazz albums Smile
Difficult to choose between highest/lowest year, because it's a little bit strange to show only one date when there's more than one. If some sorting is done, it would be nice to display a range of dates when relevant in order to avoid any confusion as to how the sorting was done. I do like the year underneath the cover.
[quote pid='13080' dateline='1568484180']
- by Artist
- by Album
- by Year

Questions:

-Tim
[/quote]

I'm more than happy with sort by Album Artist. If anything sort by Album Artist then Year would be cool. Just so that all of an artists albums are shown chronologically rather than alphabetically as they currently are.

To answer the questions:
1. I have all my albums tagged by the year of release, so this doesn't really apply to me,
2. I'd vote no. There's limited real-estate space and the year isn't really an important consideration when deciding which track to play. If the vote goes the other way then please consider making it an option.

Thanks for all your work and dedication to making such a great player!
The feature ended up as follows:

- The year is displayed only when Album grouping is set to "by Year"
- If not all tracks have the same year then the highest year is used
- Tag view and Album view (regardless of grouping) support search by year

Screenies below.

Enjoy the Music!