Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: PSU for Raspdac
Hi all,
I know this has been done to death but regardless of reading pretty much here on, or if a linear PSU benefits sound quality.

I have the Audiophonics Raspdac kit Raspdac kit with the V4 DAC, I power the streamer using the DAC's power input, this is said to be a much better way than using the Pi's USB to power both Pi and DAC.
At moment I use a Switched mode PSU that can pump out up to 4 amp continuous into the DAC's power input so there's no issue with current draw, I've set it to 6v as this is recommended by Audiophonics.

Would there be any improvements with sound quality using a linear PSU to the DAC instead of the SMPSU? Remember, the Pi gets power from the DAC.
Many thanks,
Mark Blush
(09-07-2019, 01:17 PM)Strider Wrote: Hi all,
I know this has been done to death but regardless of reading pretty much here on, or if a linear PSU benefits sound quality.

I have the Audiophonics Raspdac kit Raspdac kit with the V4 DAC, I power the streamer using the DAC's power input, this is said to be a much better way than using the Pi's USB to power both Pi and DAC.
At moment I use a Switched mode PSU that can pump out up to 4 amp continuous into the DAC's power input so there's no issue with current draw, I've set it to 6v as this is recommended by Audiophonics.

Would there be any improvements with sound quality using a linear PSU to the DAC instead of the SMPSU? Remember, the Pi gets power from the DAC.
Many thanks,
Mark Blush

Hello Mark,

as power supply I had at the beginning the power supply 7.5V / 2.93A - Audiophonics I-Saber V3-V4 DAC in operation .... had no problems with that ....
Then I ordered the linear regulated power supply 6V / 3.5A / 25VA - Audiophonics I-Saber V3 / V4 DAC, and I have to say really, (my assessment .. Smile that has become a bit better with the sound quality .... So I use since December 2018, the linear regulated power supply Smile

I hope I understood it correctly Smile
Ciao Zefi
(09-13-2019, 10:38 AM)Cardone Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 01:17 PM)Strider Wrote: Hi all,

Many thanks,
Mark Blush

Hello Mark,

as power supply I had at the beginning the power supply 7.5V / 2.93A - Audiophonics I-Saber V3-V4 DAC in operation .... had no problems with that ....
Then I ordered the linear regulated power supply 6V / 3.5A / 25VA - Audiophonics I-Saber V3 / V4 DAC, and I have to say really, (my assessment .. Smile that has become a bit better with the sound quality .... So I use since December 2018, the linear regulated power supply Smile

I hope I understood it correctly Smile
Ciao Zefi

Thanks for the detailed response Cardone, I'm still looking at LPSU's and hopefully will find something that isn't ££££££!
Mark
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html

People seem to really, really love this one. Even with overseas shipping, it would be affordable.
I have a Topping P50 linear PSU powering my Pi, a Topping D50s DAC and a Musical Fidelity phono stage. It can power 2x5V and 1x15V simultaneously.

I'll say that there's no difference on the digital side of things compared to using switch-mode PSUs, if your DAC is a HAT board getting its power from the Pi's GPIO then there may be some benefit to feeding cleaner power to the Pi if the DAC is particularly vulnerable to noise. A well designed external DAC is unlikely to benefit from quieter power. All depends on the mains power in your home to start with and the design of the DAC.

The noticeable benefit for me has been with my phono stage but there's no audible difference with the digital stuff, the main advantage is there's less plugs in the power conditioner. YMMV.
Hope that helps
Thanks Vinn,
I've looked at the similar PSU on Audiophonics with either 2 x 5 v or 5 v and 12 v.
Apparently the Pi doesn't really benefit from linear PSU but the hat/DAC probably does, I built the RASPDAC it a few years ago, the Pi receives power through the GPO pins from the DAC so it fares a little better, I have a beast of a SMPSU that 'inherited' from our studio and I can say that this helped out with dynamics and sweeter treble. This I think is mainly due to the current the PSU can supply the grunt when required.
I like MF gear, I had an MFA100 and a V-DAC. a lot of mates over the years have had/still have MF equipment, it's excellent VFM, lovely build quality aaaaand its British!