Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Flac 5.1 Surround passthru with HiFi Digi+
Hi All,

First time playing around with this and did a quick search but couldnt find anything on the Moode forums.

So, the specs. RPI4 with a Hifi Berry Digi+ attached to a Sony Amp via Coax. Sony AMP set to decode stream (rather than force it to 2 channel).

The Flac specs for the Audio are:
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits

The Flacs have come from an SACD.

Now, from research, I found that the HiFi Berry Digi+ should pass through the 5.1 channels.

However,  I can only get PCM 2.0 through to AMP.

I am presuming I might have to edit some config behind the scenes for ALSA/MFD to allow processing the 5.1 (or passing it to the Digi+).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob
Pi 4B 2GB, HiFi Berry Digi+, Original 7" Raspberry Pi Screen, Ethernet Connected, Sandisk Ultra10 SD card, 5amp power supply (Drives the PI and Screen separately) streaming audio via NFS shares from QNAP NAS.
Hi Rob,

Do you have a link that explains "should pass through the 5.1 channels"?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-28-2019, 12:14 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Rob,

Do you have a link that explains "should pass through the 5.1 channels"?

Hi Tim,

Sorry for not replying sooner...

I cant actually find the forum post about ALSA/MPD being capable of it, but, the posts were on the HiFiBerry Forum.

I found this post regarding 5.1 channel output through the Digi+ when using OpenElec:
https://www.hifiberry.com/build/document...erry-digi/

And from HiFiBerry themselves: 
Quote:While the hardware is able to output DTS/Dolby Digital, software has to be adapted to support this. We will support the developers to implement this.

So, it looks possible, but maybe a lot of software work to get it done.
Interestingly, I thought I2S is only 2 channel (Pulse Code modulated)... which is how Moode is connecting to these Digi Boards.. right?
Thanks again,
Rob
Pi 4B 2GB, HiFi Berry Digi+, Original 7" Raspberry Pi Screen, Ethernet Connected, Sandisk Ultra10 SD card, 5amp power supply (Drives the PI and Screen separately) streaming audio via NFS shares from QNAP NAS.