Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Hi Res Streaming
i am looking for guidance from all the experienced people here,  I am currently using moode through a Pi3 with a hifiberry dac plus board.   I have a Tidal subscription but obviously can only get the usual 24/96 however try as i may i cannot stop the constant and very annoying dropouts . Now along comes Amazon HD,  which i am now trying through my Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet. this is restricted to 24/96 as well , however when i try to use Airplay or bluetooth to connect to Moode i can only achieve 16/41 . The big advantage is so far no dropouts !!
I am looking for help to at least achieve the 24/96 which is the track quality of many of the albums , also looking for suggestions on how to get an even better wat to do this by replacing the current tablet !
Couple things:

1. The Airplay protocol's max rate is 16/44.1 and is lossless if the input stream rate is also 16/44.1.
2. Amazon Music HD offers up to 24/192. It just depends on the particular track or album. There isn't very much 24/192 content yet.
3. My understanding is that the Amazon Music HD app detects the max bit depth and rate of the client audio device (Tablet, Phone, PC, Mac) and only sends that stream rate to the device.

For example my Mac Air internal audio device is 24 bit capable. It supports 16/44.1 to 16/96 output to it's internal speakers and 16/44.1 to 24/48 to it's HDMI output.

Here is screen shot when set to 16/96 and outputting to internal speakers.

Here is screen shot when outputting over Airplay to moOde.

To get the HD rates to play on moOde requires the following:

1. Amazon releases it's own Airplay-like casting protocol that supports HD rates AND an Open Source renderer.
2. Amazon releases an Open Source API to the streaming service.
3. Some devs reverse engineer the protocol and create a renderer

To get HD rates to output to your audio system, connect a DAC directly to your PC, Mac, Tablet.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-01-2019, 12:54 PM)Tim Curt Wrote: Couple things:

1. The Airplay protocol's max rate is 16/44.1 and is lossless if the input stream rate is also 16/44.1.
2. Amazon Music HD offers up to 24/192. It just depends on the particular track or album. There isn't very much 24/192 content yet.
3. My understanding is that the Amazon Music HD app detects the max bit depth and rate of the client audio device (Tablet, Phone, PC, Mac) and only sends that stream rate to the device.

For example my Mac Air internal audio device is 24 bit capable. It supports 16/44.1 to 16/96 output to it's internal speakers and 16/44.1 to 24/48 to it's HDMI output.

Here is screen shot when set to 16/96 and outputting to internal speakers.

Here is screen shot when outputting over Airplay to moOde.

To get the HD rates to play on moOde requires the following:

1. Amazon releases it's own Airplay-like casting protocol that supports HD rates AND an Open Source renderer.
2. Amazon releases an Open Source API to the streaming service.
3. Some devs reverse engineer the protocol and create a renderer

To get HD rates to output to your audio system, connect a DAC directly to your PC, Mac, Tablet.

-Tim

Thanks Tim,  i was suprised and pleased to find when i tried again this morning things have got better ,  on the amazon app for example it was showing track as 24/96, system capability as 24/48 and playing as 24/48. This was using bluetooth , i did notice that the moode bluetooth icon had changed from a star to headphone icon so i am guessing this is what caused the improvement.  Now if only i could improve the system capability lol. But for now i have a much better performance,  Amazon Hd is cheaper than Tidal and i still have not had Any dropouts , so i am impressed .  Time to cancel Tidal?