Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi4 digi hat
Nope. Never tried volumio, I just don't like how it sounds. No matter what I tried...It always sounds like...umm...Discomusic Wink
Anyway...

I will try your brute force suggestion and post results
Best way to troubleshoot:

1. Install stock Raspbian Buster Lite 2019-09-26
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

2. Install Linux kernel 4.19.75
Code:
echo "y" | sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update d9321aceacfc6619b4238c6c764203b1122f2f9b

sudo rm -rf /lib/modules.bak
sudo rm -rf /boot.bak
sudo apt-get clean

3. Configure the correct overlay for the audio device: 
- Hifiberry Digi/Digi+ = hifiberry-digi
- Hifiberry Digi+ Pro = hifiberry-digi-pro

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

# Add the line below to the end
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

Save the file
Reboot

Then examine the boot log for errors trying to load the overlay

Code:
dmesg

If the overlay fails to load with errors then submit a bug report to Hifiberry with the list of steps that they can use to reproduce the issue.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
[Post edit: just saw Tim's reply. Count on him to get to the crux of the matter!]

@starbender

I make no recommendations of players based on how they sound (I don't trust either my ears or my taste!) [1]

The reason I mentioned Volumio is that for RPis it is built on Raspbian too (caveat: according to the os-release file in the current volumio 2.632 image I just downloaded, it's built on "Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)").

Regards,
Kent

[1] a casual observer might notice which Forum I hang out in.
No idea why, but wm8804 base digi hat works fine with moode 6.3.

Cool
(10-27-2019, 07:14 AM)starbender Wrote: No idea why, but wm8804 base digi hat works fine with moode 6.3.

Cool

Good news. When I can I'll check this on my Pi2Design HAT to confirm on different wm8804 hardware. It would be great if the problem has solved itself. I probably won't have the time until later this week though.
I tested my pi 4b and Pi2Design 502DAC Pro again this morning with Moode 6.3.0 but the combination is still not working. I'll try again one 6.4 is released.