Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi4 digi hat
My pi4 does not recognize my digi+ hat. Picoreplayer beta also does not detect or recognize.
But it works ok with pi3.

Am I missing something here?

edit: weird..wm8804 gives error;

5.592816] snd-rpi-wm8804 socConfusedound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered - will retry
[ 6.090955] wm8804 1-003b: Linked as a consumer to regulator.2
[ 6.091648] wm8804 1-003b: Failed to read device ID: -121
[ 6.092012] wm8804: probe of 1-003b failed with error -121
I think there are compatibility issues between Pi-4B and some manufacturers boards/drivers.

I've only tested a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro and Allo Boss on the 4B and no issues.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
It looks like related with wm8804 and overlays with pi4.
pi3 works ok while I'm typing this..
(10-07-2019, 03:36 PM)starbender Wrote: It looks like related with wm8804 and overlays with pi4.
pi3 works ok while I'm typing this..

Yes there seems to be a problem with (some) wm8804 boards and the Pi 4. My Pi2Design 502DAC Pro won't work with the Pi 4 but works fine with the 2b and 3b, and shanghai2004 reported the same problem with a different wm8804 card. He managed to get it working through a hardware tweak (shorting a pin on the 8804 to ground to reset the chip after the Pi was powered up) but I haven't seen a software fix yet. Fingers crossed, though if hifiberry wrote the overlay they may not be overly motivated to fix an issue that only shows up with competitors' boards....
Update:

Trying Picore beta 6.0 64bit and Digi hat is running without any issue. Using hifiberry digi overlay.
(10-13-2019, 09:07 AM)starbender Wrote: Update:

Trying Picore beta 6.0 64bit and Digi hat is running without any issue. Using hifiberry digi overlay.

Different ecosystem but still interesting. I assume you meant the piCorePlayer beta provided on the slimdevices site. Beta 5 or beta 4?

Regards,
Kent
Ver.6-Beta5.
@starbender

I don't have any wm8804-based Hats to test with but thought I might be able to pick up a significant difference or two between the moodeOS and piCore drivers/overlays by comparing files in the distros and the github repos.It wasn't to be.

Have you tried asking on the HiFiBerry forum?

As an aside, I took the language in the "BETA: piCorePlayer6.0.0 - PI4 support" announcement to mean this version included at least a 64bit kernel and possibly a 64bit userland system.

Apparently not. The piCorePlayer6.0.0-b5.zip image seems to be v7l through and through, whether I invoke "uname -l" or look at the file system ( e.g., alsa-modules-4.19.75-pcpCore_v7l/). It does boot and run on a RPi4 as advertised.

So, sorry, no joy.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent,

It does run 64bit, but you have to modify config.txt for it.
I know two distro is different to the bone. One of them is using buster and mpd, other is using tinycore and sqlite and lms.
But I always thought drivers/overlay files is same but compiled in a different way..
That's why I'm digging this issue, and ofc I want to experiment or use moode as before.

There is zillions of different digi hats, all of them using wm8804 and i2c with very simple implementations. All was working with pi3 and strech based distros.

Regards,
Sb.
(10-14-2019, 08:17 AM)starbender Wrote: Hi Kent,

It does run 64bit, but you have to modify config.txt for it.

Ah, I missed that (...minor grumbling 'bout not being able to find documentation while editing config.txt...). Yup, both the kernel and root file system appear to be 64bit.

Quote:I know two distro is different to the bone. One of them is using buster and mpd, other is using tinycore and sqlite and lms.
But I always thought drivers/overlay files is same but compiled in a different way..

I was making the same assumption. It appears the digi and digi-pro overlays are the same in both distros. They are nearly the same lengths and when i reverse-compiled them they read the same, so I attributed the different lengths to the build environments. The wm8804 driver file itself is also similar length but my interest flagged at digging through sources. I didn't see any recent (e.g., post-RPi4B release date) commits. I gave up at that point. There's a lot of futzing with filenames and directory structures between the two distros and scrolling through git commit comments can be a bore.

I just tried searching the HiFiBerry forum for posts about RPi4B and Digi but didn't get any hits. I still think that's the place to ask to get answers right from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried your Digi and RPi4 with Volumio?

Quote:There is zillions of different digi hats, all of them using wm8804 and i2c with very simple implementations. All was working with pi3 and strech based distros.

Regards,
Sb.

Occasionally I've bought a piece of kit just to figure out why it isn't working with moOde (like I did the Khadas Tone Board) 'cuz I know I can invent a use for it after, but I haven't had any S/PDIF gear in decades so picking up a WM8804 board isn't in the cards. Sorry.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

PS: If you're game for what my dad used to call the brute force and ignorance approach, you could just copy over the subject 32bit piCorePlayer drivers with appropriate name changes to the appropriate places in moOde and see what happens. (It's unlikely this qualifies as a smoke test but I make no guarantees!)