Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sinology reconnect
(10-17-2019, 06:21 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Oh, and be sure to check out rsync as a possible backup solution.

I have seen rsynch mentioned in other forums but never used so there it will go on the "Try to Improve skills" list. Will keep you posted as I slowly progress.
@CallMeMike and @kit1cat appreciate the links. Good to have options and others willing to share.
Thanks, @CallMeMike, for pointing out the specific MagPi article. I was posting from my cellphone and was too lazy to look it up. Apart from using RAID technology, that NAS is pretty bare-boned Samba, like the Samba server built into every moOde image (anyone notice all the shares shown in my post above?). 

@kit1cat points out OpenMediaVault as deployed on an RPi. I have been using OMV on a different platform (Odroid) for years. Like Synology's DSM, it provides a unified UI for a lot of different functions (as if Step 13 from the article above has already been done). It JustWorks™ but just as with Synology's DSM, you have to learn how the UI works.

Until the RPi4B came along, I didn't consider the Raspberry Pi a good NAS platform because of its I/O architecture, I have an ages-old x86 box which beats earlier RPis in this service, but it's what you do with what you've got that counts. RPis are cheap, small, quiet, energy efficient, and well supported. I've accumulated a figurative ton of them.

Regards,
Kent
I useSMB on a Synology NAS and don't have any problems - I did disable SMB v1 on it and all my devices and never use anonymous connections,
it has been much more reliable since

of course YMMV
Like Julius Caesar's Gaul, all moOde users seem to be divided into three parts---those who don't use a Synology NAS, those who use one and have no difficulty connecting to it, and those who try to use one but have endless difficulties connecting to it.

After several years of trying to help parties of the third part, I still don't see a common denominator to be addressed. I don't own the product. As an experiment, I spun up a virtual machine running a somewhat recent version of Synology DSM and had no trouble connecting from various releases of moOde.

Over the years, I've spun up a number of other server implementations and had good luck with them too, including a trial version of JRiver Media Center, full-up NAS systems like OpenMediaVault and FreeNAS, UPnP/DLNA-focused Linux add-ons like MinimSever and miniDLNA (now known as ReadyMedia), and traditional Linux NFS and Samba servers. Of course, moOde itself uses Samba and miniDLNA services. 

There's still a bunch I haven't played with (Ampache, Kodi, and Plex come to mind) but I don't envision a specific "moOde problem" with any.

As an aside, for a variety of reasons, I stay away from all discussions of Windows 10, either its native services or third-party products which run on it.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent
both synology DSM and moode are linux based. I have had very good luck/results using NFS between my synology NAS and moode.
Why not use NFS? Much more efficient and reliable than SMB/CIFS
(01-20-2020, 08:19 AM)vinnn Wrote: Why not use NFS? Much more efficient and reliable than SMB/CIFS

Some people have gear that knows only SMB. Some just want it. They can have their cake and eat it too with moOde.

In my professional life, long since ended, I worked with all the major Unix systems, many now dead and buried. NFS used to be a nightmare in mixed-OS environments. Much easily now with all-Linux boxes here.

Regards,
Kent
Do you have Synology auto power off or disk hibernation set? That may cause problems.

I'm using NFS with no issues, other than the fact that Synology does not re-index disk changes to files/folders if using NFS. A task sceduled to re-index solves this problem.
(02-13-2020, 07:48 AM)owenwong0929 Wrote: I have found an article that introduces how to make a NAS box by Raspberry pi. It is very convenient and small.
https://www.sunfounder.com/blog/diy-nas-kit/

I run a similar setup, Pi4 with a portable usb 3 drive.