Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: USB CD-Rom + Moode = UPnP streamer
Lightbulb 
Hello,

Just wondering if it is possible to have moode + usb cd-rom / dvd drive function as a UPnP streamer to send cd data over the network.
This would greatly help to circumvent forking out for a network capable CD player.

[moode + usb slot loading cd rom] -----> [network] -----> [renderer].

Thanks.

hifix.
(10-19-2019, 09:41 PM)hifix Wrote: Hello,

Just wondering if it is possible to have moode + usb cd-rom / dvd drive function as a UPnP streamer to send cd data over the network.
This would greatly help to circumvent forking out for a network capable CD player.

Thanks.

hifix.

Wow, that sounds hard.

Is there any example of such a CD-driven UPnP media server out there we could draw inspiration from? Kodi, Plex, Emby, OpenElec...? As far as I know, they all work with files ripped from CDs.

Regards,
Kent
(10-19-2019, 10:00 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 09:41 PM)hifix Wrote: Hello,

Thanks.

hifix.

Wow, that sounds hard.

Is there any example of such a CD-driven UPnP media server out there we could draw inspiration from? Kodi, Plex, Emby, OpenElec...? As far as I know, they all work with files ripped from CDs.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Theres this:
The Wyred 4 Sound Music Server (not pi based).

Theres also foobar (windows), its UPnP functionality works with data files.  Not sure about the CD-rom.

I have tried plugging in a Samsung Slim External DVD writer into an exisitng moode install but it does not seem to recognise the device.

hifix.

p/s: hmm, the youtube video isnt showing on the page. The link is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDrn7xlGms
@hifix

Yikes! The Wyred gear demands a handsome price.

Buried in one of their product descriptions: 

Quote:The minute you insert a CD into the tray, our Music Server immediately goes to work ripping your music as high-quality FLAC files.

so there's no magic here. Once again we're dealing with ripped files. 

Several users have implemented CD ripping in moOde using abcde. Ashley Cox, who doesn't frequent this forum, did it with auto-magic rip-on-insertion. @aknaggbaugh has posted a HowTo of his own. In essence, this replicates what the Wyred does, if perhaps not as elegantly. 

Autocompletion of metadata downloaded from the Internet can be included, albeit not an error-proof process. Adding coverart is even harder. [Full disclosure: These processes work quite well for main-stream rock and pop music. I'm a fan of genres not as well populated in online databases.]

As for live CD playback in moOde, Ashley Cox did that too; I've tested and tweaked his scripts. I need to post the work to github. Bottom line, as of now it works but doesn't fit seamlessly with moOde. Think of it as a 1980s CD player. No metadata. The UI displays no coverart and only an enumerated list of "CD track 1", "CD track 2", "CD track 3", ...

Regards,
Kent
(10-19-2019, 11:14 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @hifix

Yikes! The Wyred gear demands a handsome price.

Buried in one of their product descriptions: 

Quote:The minute you insert a CD into the tray, our Music Server immediately goes to work ripping your music as high-quality FLAC files.

so there's no magic here. Once again we're dealing with ripped files. 

Several users have implemented CD ripping in moOde using abcde. Ashley Cox, who doesn't frequent this forum, did it with auto-magic rip-on-insertion. @aknaggbaugh has posted a HowTo of his own. In essence, this replicates what the Wyred does, if perhaps not as elegantly. 

Autocompletion of metadata downloaded from the Internet can be included, albeit not an error-proof process. Adding coverart is even harder. [Full disclosure: These processes work quite well for main-stream rock and pop music. I'm a fan of genres not as well populated in online databases.]

As for live CD playback in moOde, Ashley Cox did that too; I've tested and tweaked his scripts. I need to post the work to github. Bottom line, as of now it works but doesn't fit seamlessly with moOde. Think of it as a 1980s CD player. No metadata. The UI displays no coverart and only an enumerated list of "CD track 1", "CD track 2", "CD track 3", ...

Regards,
Kent

Thank you for the feedback Kent.  I appreciate it.

I really like the Wyred unit, unfortunately it is a bit beyond what i can spend on an audio component at the moment.  It is very nice though.

I think i understand.  The UPnP functionality requires a file based starting point (not CDFS). 

An 80s CD player would be just fine!  There are days where i am "just not feeling it" when it comes to ripping CDs and looking for album art.  Even with ease of automation, i would like the flexibility of occasionally selecting a CD and having it play though the moode renderer.  Should this go well, i could look through the booklets that came with the CDs while enjoying the music (like i did in the 80s).  Big Grin

Would you happen to know of a setting to adjust the CD-rom drive speed ?  My USB CD rom is a bit noisy.

I'm going to give this a go.

Cheers Kent.

hifix.
moOde as a CD player :-0

Ripping a CD to FLAC with perfect metadata and cover art is so easy that there really is no reason to bother with direct CD playback.

I'll leave it up to user to do this.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@hifix

Quote:Would you happen to know of a setting to adjust the CD-rom drive speed ?  My USB CD rom is a bit noisy.

I didn't know this until a few months ago. Look at the man page (or consult your favorite search engine) for the command-line command eject and how to use it. It has many options. Here are just two

Code:
      -x <speed>
           With this option the drive is given a CD-ROM  select  speed  com‐
           mand.   The  speed  argument  is  a number indicating the desired
           speed (e.g. 8 for 8X speed), or 0 for maximum data rate. Not  all
           devices support this command and you can only specify speeds that
           the drive is capable of. Every time the  media  is  changed  this
           option  is cleared. This option can be used alone, or with the -t
           and -c options.

-X   With this option the CD-ROM drive will be probed  to  detect  the
           available  speeds.  The  output  is a list of speeds which can be
           used as an argument of the -x option. This only works with  Linux
           2.6.13  or  higher, on previous versions solely the maximum speed
           will be reported. Also note that some  drive  may  not  correctly
           report  the  speed  and  therefore this option does not work with
           them.

Regards,
Kent
(10-20-2019, 01:05 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde as a CD player :-0

Ripping a CD to FLAC with perfect metadata and cover art is so easy that there really is no reason to bother with direct CD playback.

Have to add my 2 Cents to this.... Smile 

Our local Goodwill is overstocked with cd's.... and has reduced their price to (US equivalent ) $0.25 cents.... (Note to Kent...80% are your "genres not as well populated"   Wink )

I did the serendipity-raid and came home with 22 I have never heard ....

Now, I don't want to rip 22 cd's just to be able to play them and decide if I keep or recycle each one....

A MoOde attached CD player would be just dandy as hifix said...

Quote:An 80s CD player would be just fine!  There are days where i am "just not feeling it" when it comes to ripping CDs and looking for album art.  Even with ease of automation, i would like the flexibility of occasionally selecting a CD and having it play though the moode renderer.  Should this go well, i could look through the booklets that came with the CDs while enjoying the music (like i did in the 80s). 

Luckily, I do have a quality cd player for auditioning... and a Daphile install for ripping (all I use it for) as it is a great ripper ! (does fantastic look-ups, uses Gracenote and AccurateRip verification and ,I think, is abcde under the hood , plus 'drive offset' setting)

But, having auditioned, chosen, ripped and transferred to MoOde only then can I listen via MoOde.

Oh, to have a complete MoOde chain for all of this....

How's that for a use case ?
https://www.gracenote.com/music/music-recognition/
https://abcde.einval.com/wiki/
https://www.daphile.com/
http://www.accuraterip.com/
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-338ESD.html
----------
bob
(10-20-2019, 01:05 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde as a CD player :-0

Hi Tim,
moOde as an audiophile solution ?  (Offering a tablet controlled CD player and file based music).

If moOde had this functionality, it would be the only one out there.
You could call it "audiophile-moOde".  And if it were reasonably priced, i'd gladly pay for it.  There might be some appeal to be had with some of the "old school" audiophiles out there too.

If the drive shows up under Browse - USB and the drive speed can be dropped, it will be a massive plus for my HiFi.

(10-20-2019, 02:23 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @hifix

Quote:Would you happen to know of a setting to adjust the CD-rom drive speed ?  My USB CD rom is a bit noisy.

I didn't know this until a few months ago. Look at the man page (or consult your favorite search engine) for the command-line command eject and how to use it. It has many options. Here are just two

Code:
      -x <speed>
           With this option the drive is given a CD-ROM  select  speed  com‐
           mand.   The  speed  argument  is  a number indicating the desired
           speed (e.g. 8 for 8X speed), or 0 for maximum data rate. Not  all
           devices support this command and you can only specify speeds that
           the drive is capable of. Every time the  media  is  changed  this
           option  is cleared. This option can be used alone, or with the -t
           and -c options.

-X   With this option the CD-ROM drive will be probed  to  detect  the
           available  speeds.  The  output  is a list of speeds which can be
           used as an argument of the -x option. This only works with  Linux
           2.6.13  or  higher, on previous versions solely the maximum speed
           will be reported. Also note that some  drive  may  not  correctly
           report  the  speed  and  therefore this option does not work with
           them.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks for heads up Kent!
I will give this a go as soon as i clear some work.  Speaking of an 80s CD player, in testing foobar to stream my CD content, its got "01 CD Track 01" as you've mentioned.  Big Grin
Should this go well, i'll buy myself a slot loading CD rom for xmas and dig out my old CDs which only had 1 or 2 good tracks to them.  The multiple micro SD cards (for testing) are good to go.

(10-20-2019, 03:04 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Now, I don't want to rip 22 cd's just to be able to play them and decide if I keep or recycle each one....

A MoOde attached CD player would be just dandy as hifix said...

Hi DRONE7, In my mind i have tried to avoid the talk of a "vinyl only" HiFi enthusiast that i know... but i think there is something to be said for handling / convenience of physical media when it comes to music.
I'm not an advocate here; just an aging hacker who likes to be able to say I made something work. My late wife was fond of such retorts as "just because it works doesn't mean it's good" and "just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done!"

Still, let me figure out where I put my notes.

Regards,
Kent