Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Password for Airplay
Hi there,

Would be great if you could set a password in the airplay settings.

It is possible to do it via the console if you edit /etc/shairport-sync.conf and change the password parameter.

Thanks

Jason
Whats the usage scenario where a password would be needed?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-21-2019, 11:57 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Whats the usage scenario where a password would be needed?

When used in a place where several people is connected to the same wifi. In my office the moode rpi is connected to the wifi, and all of my colleagues logged into the same network with an apple device can control my moOde. -> Its pw protected both in airplay and GUI Smile
@ksone

I hope you've changed the default password and that all your passwords are unique and strong. They are both the first and the only line of defense. In common with all the Raspberry Pi music players I've looked at, moOde isn't security-hardened. If anyone manages to log in as user "pi" [1] they have free rein. At home behind a router with a firewall this isn't so much a problem but in a public/corporate setting it can be a huge problem.

Regards,
Kent

[1] Webcrawlers regularly scrape default username/password pairs from software websites. "pi" is right up there with "root" and "admin" as the first username tried by cracker software and of course no published password is ever forgotten.
This can be added pretty easily by setting the appropriate value in /etc/shairport-sync.conf (or whatever), if you’re doing it yourself you’ll need to remove the // comment from the password= line first, save the file then reboot.
(10-25-2019, 02:59 AM)swizzle Wrote: This can be added pretty easily by setting the appropriate value in /etc/shairport-sync.conf (or whatever), if you’re doing it yourself you’ll need to remove the // comment from the password= line first, save the file then reboot.

It is very easy to do but it would be easier if it was a parameter on the airplay configuration screen, I have to ssh into Moode every time there is a new release and change it (actually it's for a friend who is not very comfortable with the command line and vi).

Thanks