Thank you for your donation!

Idea: Optional simplified small screen UI
The full UI can be quite hard to use on the 7" touchscreen: the play controls are fine, but the library controls have such small UI elements that they're quite hard to touch accurately, especially for the elderly (experience of my parents trying to navigate my Moode). I know it can be done more easily with a stylus, but that takes away some of the immediacy of the touch interface.

It would be nice if there were an optional alternate UI or stylesheet available for the local display that made the control elements larger, possibly at the expense of some of the detailed information that is shown in the display. (radio is fine but for music files perhaps it would be more manageable just to show artists with (next letter / previous letter) buttons, then once an artist is selected just showing albums with (next / previous / up to artists) buttons, with one touch play album functionality.
I'm sure it could be done but the end result would still have some shortcomings due to issues with Pi 7" Touch itself including it's 16:10 aspect ratio, lack of momentum scrolling, etc. Thats why I'm reluctant to spend any time on it.

A far better solution is an iPad Mini with its larger screen and 4:3 aspect ratio, or some sort of 4:3 panel that attaches to the Pi.
(10-28-2019, 12:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'm sure it could be done but the end result would still have some shortcomings due to issues with Pi 7" Touch itself including it's 16:10 aspect ratio, lack of momentum scrolling, etc. Thats why I'm reluctant to spend any time on it.

A far better solution is an iPad Mini with its larger screen and 4:3 aspect ratio, or some sort of 4:3 panel that attaches to the Pi.

Fair enough - but it's not the aspect ratio or even the lack of momentum scrolling that's the issue, it's simply the size of the screen. Even if it were a 7" 4:3 screen it's quite hard for people with fat fingers or older people with less than perfect eyesight to select the right tiny button for radios or file structure or tag structure, or even the little spacer that switches between library and playback controls views. All I'm really asking for is an option to make those controls much bigger.  (Though I do think it would be preferable for the UI to adapt itself to work well in any aspect ratio of display, as people must use Moode on all kinds of displays from old 4:3 monitors to phones or browser windows in various aspect ratios (and, in the case of phones, in either orientation).)

If you're not interested in doing this yourself, would it be something you would consider accepting as a contribution?
I imagine the first thing to do is to mock up a graphical version of the moOde UI which you think is appropriate for your use case so others can see what you have in mind.

The moOde UI designers/implementers---principally Tim and Swizzle---already put in an enormous amount of work trying to make it work with the devices available for test (including some of my phones and tablets). 

Check out moOde's .css files to get a sense of how fiddly this becomes in practice.

Not saying it can't be done; just saying it's hard to do it right.

My experience is that all code contributions are given consideration.

Regards,
Kent
I agree that accessibility is very important but the moOde project is pretty small and so generally we only have enough resources to code and support features that are generally applicable to most users.

Any developer can contribute new code or modifications to existing code by submitting a Pull Request in the moOde Git repo. its not a guarantee that it will be accepted into moOde but at least it will be considered.

-Tim
(10-28-2019, 04:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I agree that accessibility is very important but the moOde project is pretty small and so generally we only have enough resources to code and support features that are generally applicable to most users.

Any developer can contribute new code or modifications to existing code by submitting a Pull Request in the moOde Git repo. its not a guarantee that it will be accepted into moOde but at least it will be considered.

-Tim

I appreciate how much effort goes into Moode, and I know there aren't many people working on it and of course you have to focus their efforts on the majority use cases. I do think there's a reasonable use case (see the other post asking about how to increase the size of the UI on the 7" screen today) though so in the best tradition of open source I'll see if I can "scratch my own itch" when I have time. Unless someone else gets there first I'll start with mocking something up and then see if I can implement it. It might take me a while though, I have some other current projects but with luck I'll make a bit of progress this side of Christmas.
I am also very very interested in a more "responsive UI".

I mean, the UI is great, no question. But it could be even greater for e.g. smartphones.

Example, it is very hard to hit the back-button on that:
[Image: 2.png]

Some weeks ago I modified the css files, so my current version looks like this (more padding between navigation-icons and list-items, which helps a lot if you have fat fingers ;-)
[Image: 1.png]

However, this is just the beginning. For smartphones and tablets there can be done a lot of tweaks in the UI. However, I dont see any point to "improve" the settings. In my opinion, only navigation and the list needs to be improved (only functions/components that are used mostly/daily).
Per my post #5, submit a PR with your code modifications and it will be considered :-)
Keep the conversation going ... I speak fluent CSS as a front end developer. I'd like to see an almost "car mode / 10ft UI" for phone screens as a "remote control" maybe on localhost/remote/index.php. Not so much for browsing library but playback control using the MPC API already given in /var/www/command. The landscape version of that could work for the Pi Screen. I have two of the official 7" screens and that's my main interaction with Moode actually so I know these issues well. There's also the issue of scrollbars on the cover view and the scrollbars in the playback view aren't themed the same as the ones on the coverview.

Leme grab some screenies of Spotify on Android Auto real quick ...

Without touching the UI you could also use M.A.L.P with the "OLED dark theme" on a phone ...

M.A.L.P App ...

Spotify "Stations" App ...

--

GitHub, Spotify and Resonate : @duracell80

My jam: ambient, lush vocals, synths and acoustic guitars
Must say that I'll get time over the holidays to play around, for the next couple of weeks not so much.
--

GitHub, Spotify and Resonate : @duracell80

My jam: ambient, lush vocals, synths and acoustic guitars