Thank you for your donation!

moOde sound quality in RPi 2B vs RPi 4
Hi,

I've been playing with a bunch of Raspberry Pi's I have at home and started by having moOde installed on a Raspberry Pi 4. Yesterday I needed that board for another project so I installed the same version of moOde in my Raspberry Pi 2 B.

I have the IQaudiO Pi-DAC+ connected to my HiFi (old Pionneer system from the 80's) via an RCA cable in the AUX channel.

Is it possible that the Raspberry Pi 4 sounds better than the Raspberry Pi 2 B or is it just me? I'm asking because the OS is the same (moOde 6.3.0) and the hat is the same (which I believe is responsible for the sound quality). I'm asking because it seemed like the Raspberry Pi 2 B sounded worse than the 4.

Also, does it make a difference to fetch my audio from my NAS via WiFi compared to ethernet? I believe it can't affect sound quality.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I thought of asking it anyway. I see some people asking similar questions but they bring up different software with different RPi's.

Thank you for the help!
I recently switched to an rpi4.  I play music via an external USB DAC and have used both Volumio and Moode.  I have to say my music has never sounded better on the same external hardware.  It makes sense that if tweaks that reduce latency and alter priorities of interrupts etc, can improve the sound, then an overall more powerful and fast machine will of course also sound better.

As for playing via Wifi vs ethernet, it simply depends on the reliability of the Wifi.  If it delivers data reliably fast enough to be played, then it should sound the same.   Download a track locally to the Pi, and compare playing the local file with the one played from the NAS.  If the sound the same, stop worrying.
I have a similar experience. Since I couldn't update to Moode 6 on my Raspberry Pi 2 (it is sort of physically impossible to make an ethernet connection at where it is installed, my external wifi dongle wasn't supported for some weird reason and headless didn't work either... anyway), soooo, I updated to a Raspberry 3. I immediately noticed the sounds was pretty much worse, way more noise, way less precision and more harshness.

After a while of waiting and looking around for a solution, I upgraded to a 3+ and the problems were gone.

I just assumed not all Raspberry's were created equal Smile
I know nothing about RPi4, but I use RPi 3+ and definitely sounds quite rich, without issues.
I compare the latest V6.4 with old V3.8.4 which is the only version with realtime setting option. The V3.8.4 running realtime with FIFO mode.

The external USB sound card recording and youtube seems degrade the sound quality and make the 2 versions sounds virtually the same but with a pair of good headphone and slightly louder than I normally listen to, I can hear some differences especially vocals. Both versions perform well though, here [link deleted]

I'm using Raspberry Pi 2 with my own DIY AD1865 NOS R-2R DAC, recorded via USB sound card and audacity, both dB carefully matched.
There can multiple causes:

1. A more powerful and "cleaner" power supply.
2. One important and big change in Raspberry 4, is that is does not use the shared USB bus for ethernet. This will remove a potential bottleneck.
(03-23-2020, 09:24 AM)sukarno Wrote: I compare the latest V6.4 with old V3.8.4 which is the only version with realtime setting option. The V3.8.4 running realtime with FIFO mode.

The external USB sound card recording and youtube seems degrade the sound quality and make the 2 versions sounds virtually the same but with a pair of good headphone and slightly louder than I normally listen to, I can hear some differences especially vocals. Both versions perform well though, here [link deleted]

I'm using Raspberry Pi 2 with my own DIY AD1865 NOS R-2R DAC, recorded via USB sound card and audacity, both dB carefully matched.

Hi, could you please send me that YouTube links via PM. I'm very interested in that comparision! Thanks!
(03-23-2020, 09:24 AM)sukarno Wrote: I compare the latest V6.4 with old V3.8.4 which is the only version with realtime setting option. The V3.8.4 running realtime with FIFO mode.

I haven’t done any latency testing but the 64-bit kernel option in 6.5 has the preempt-rt patch applied.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ uname -a
Linux moode 5.4.35-v8+ #1314 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 1 17:54:25 BST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Interesting.

I've learned from past experience that its best to wait a bit before adopting a kernel branch transition unless there is a compelling reason to do so.