Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Cannot get wi-fi in version 6.3.0
First an apology, I had already posted this to a SOLVED thread http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1762. but cannot remove it.
I have a similar problem with a new install.

Regardless of what is saved for the SSID name in the setup screen, when I run the command
Code:
Code:
wpa_passphrase SSID password

The result is always similar to:

Network={
    ssid="SSID"
    #psk="password"
    psk=2f6a0beddf2f0588ee426b0c3a0e3d9a523bb07a05cb857f85d826da80fa75c4
}

ssid always =SSID

The actual SSD is Barney and that is saved in the setup screen.
I have tried many times using both DHCP and STATIC but cannot get w-ifi connection.

I have a second Pi running on the same version via update which works fine.  The problem appears to be with the way the password is retained  see comparative screen shots.

The problem is associated with PSK because the working version appears to not have the same help message and the number of password characters displayed matches the actual password

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
If it ain't broke fix it until it is.
There is a bug in 6.3.0 that results in PSK not being generated if the password has certain non-alphanumeric characters for example $ ! ` It's fixed in upcoming 6.4.0 release/update.

If manually running wpa_passphrase does in fact generate the PSK then there is something else that's causing the issue.

If you can confirm that the output from wpa_passphrase matches the block in the wpa_supplicant file then moOde's Network Config is working properly. All it does is write this file. Its Linux that actually tries to connect to the SSID during boot up.

Code:
sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim,
I am not sure that I have understood correctly but.
The SSD name I am using is Barney.

When I run the code you supply I get :

pi@moody:~ $ wpa_passphrase SSID password
network={
    ssid="SSID"
    #psk="password"
    psk=2f6a0beddf2f0588ee426b0c3a0e3d9a523bb07a05cb857f85d826da80fa75c4
}
Is that correct?
sudo wpa_passphrase Barney "YOUR_PASSWORD"
Enjoy the Music!
(11-13-2019, 06:07 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: sudo wpa_passphrase Barney "YOUR_PASSWORD"

Thanks again,
I ran the command and response showed correct SSID and password, but still cannot connect to Wi-fi, tried DHCP and STATIC with same result.

To check the Pi, Wi-fi dongle and Hub, I fired up a standard Pi Rasbian SD Card and all is OK.

I don't know if this is relevant but I  have just noticed that if I select SSID=none, there is a message "Unable to activate AP mode"
Which release of Raspbian and which Linux kernel?

If same Raspbian release and same kernel as in moOde 6.3.0 then it's not obvious to me what is happening.

moOde 6.3.0
- UPD: Bump to Raspbian Buster Lite 10.1 (2019-09-26)
- UPD: Bump to Linux kernel 4.19.75 build #1270
Enjoy the Music!
(11-13-2019, 08:51 PM)imazed Wrote: To check the Pi, Wi-fi dongle and Hub, I fired up a standard Pi Rasbian SD Card and all is OK.

What's the dongle you're using?

Have you tried another in its place?

@imazed

I'm having trouble understanding your problem. In your first post in this thread you included two screen captures. The two screens show two *different* SSIDs, "Barney" and "EXT-Barney".  What's up with that? 

You haven't said what happens when you use the SSID SCAN function. It should return the SSIDs of all APs within range which are not hiding their SSIDs. You have to click on the little down arrow to see the list after the scan is complete. Whether the list includes 5GHz APs as well as 2.4GHz APs depends on the WiFi adapter you're using. By way of example, in my house I get a list of 13 SSIDs, including two access points---one low band and one high band---I have running off my Internet router, another moOde player running in AP mode, and 10 APs in neighbors' houses. I then just select a suitable SSID from the list.

Your second screen capture shows the player apparently connected to access point "EXT-Barney" with IP=192.168.1.12 assigned via DHCP and with excellent signal quality/level. Perfect. Why isn't this the answer?

As an aside, the Linux utility wpa_passphrase merely outputs the pre-shared key (PSK) computed for the SSID and passphrase you provide it. When executed from the command line, its output should agree with the like content of the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Asking you to do this is just a sanity check; it doesn't configure anything. [added in post-edit: don't ever post your specific result without obscuring the passphrase and PSK. The whole point of wpa is to create a secret known only to your WiFi client and AP.]

Referring to @philrandal's question, please include both make and model of the dongle (which we assume means a USB-WiFi adapter). Also, what model RPi are you using?

Regards,
Kent
(11-14-2019, 02:13 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @imazed

I'm having trouble understanding your problem. In your first post in this thread you included two screen captures. The two screens show two *different* SSIDs, "Barney" and "EXT-Barney".  What's up with that? 

You haven't said what happens when you use the SSID SCAN function. It should return the SSIDs of all APs within range which are not hiding their SSIDs. You have to click on the little down arrow to see the list after the scan is complete. Whether the list includes 5GHz APs as well as 2.4GHz APs depends on the WiFi adapter you're using. By way of example, in my house I get a list of 13 SSIDs, including two access points---one low band and one high band---I have running off my Internet router, another moOde player running in AP mode, and 10 APs in neighbors' houses. I then just select a suitable SSID from the list.

Your second screen capture shows the player apparently connected to access point "EXT-Barney" with IP=192.168.1.12 assigned via DHCP and with excellent signal quality/level. Perfect. Why isn't this the answer?

As an aside, the Linux utility wpa_passphrase merely outputs the pre-shared key (PSK) computed for the SSID and passphrase you provide it. When executed from the command line, its output should agree with the like content of the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Asking you to do this is just a sanity check; it doesn't configure anything. [added in post-edit: don't ever post your specific result without obscuring the passphrase and PSK. The whole point of wpa is to create a secret known only to your WiFi client and AP.]

Referring to @philrandal's question, please include both make and model of the dongle (which we assume means a USB-WiFi adapter). Also, what model RPi are you using?

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to both Tim and Kent.
I repeated all my tests and the result was an faulty USB wifi adapter. My hub knows it is there but it will not transfer data!
Sorry for the trouble.
Mike