Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

rsync
Hi
I want to backup my music stored on the HDD connected to moodeaudio. Is it possible to use rsync and pull the music from moodeaudio to my openmediavault server? I tried but could'nt get it to work.Works fine when I do a pull from one omv server to another but had to enable an rsync server module first....
(11-15-2019, 08:26 PM)PihlT Wrote: Hi
I want to backup my music stored on the HDD connected to moodeaudio. Is it possible to use rsync and pull the music from moodeaudio to my openmediavault server? I tried but could'nt get it to work.Works fine when I do a pull from one omv server to another but had to enable an rsync server module first....

Yes it should be fine over ssh, you could pull from your Pi or push to your server. You tried connecting with rsync over ssh I guess?
I tried with the built in rsync in omv.
Solved Smile
Managed to do it over ssh
Hello,
I know it is an old thread, but if you see my message, can you please explain more what do you mean by rsync over ssh?
I use 2 omv server, a main and a backup and rsync works fine, but I'm not sure how to set up on moOde. I would do the other direction. I would sync my music library to my player regularly, when it is on at the sync time.
On the other hand, it is important for me that I can switch power off on moOde without proper shutdown, as I know it is safe with moOde, I would not want to loose that.
I'm not sure how I should even install rsync. I do have some experience with Debian and Ubuntu servers and desktop, but on moOde I do not even know what package manager is used. Do I just use : sudo apt-get install rsync ?
Thanks,
JG
I will answer this as best I can:

1. rsync over ssh - this means you can provide rsync the -e flag (alternative for --rsh=COMMAND) which will use ssh for communication between local and remote machines.
You can also include any ssh command options/flags.

eg

Code:
rsync -e 'ssh -i ~/.ssh/non-default-key' /local/path host:/remote/path

this will connect to to host using ssh with non-default-key.

2. If you have an omv server, why do you keep your music on an extra disk attached to the RPi? Is the server in a remote location with bad connectivity? Because if it's local you can use NFS or Samba/CIFS to share your music on the OMV and mount it on the moOde RPi.
Thank You for your reply!

I will play with it at the evening. On the OMV side so far I only administrated rsync through the http surface, not command line. I do other things in command line, it is not very unknown for me in general, but did not used rsync through command line at all.

But, to answer the second part of your question, because it is a "transportable" music player for me. I do carry it sometime, while I leave it connected other times. I did set up direct connection to OMV also, but I want to sync a hdd inside also for portability (and backup also).

Regards,
JG
So, I have tried sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install rsync, than realized srync is already installed :-) Great!
(can I run sudo apt-get update than upgrade ?)

Than, I looked at rsync options. Also, I thought I do not need ssh, since the remote drive is already mounted. So, I only did :
rsync -a -v --delete /mnt/NAS/ellenorizetlen/ /media/zeneM/ellenorizetlen
Where the first is the remote source directory, mounted. The second is the destination on an usb drive.
Works just fine.
Now, the best would be to have a button on the moOde surface for sync, or (and probably this is what I do), I try to schedule a job to every day 3AM, so if I leave it on for the night and the server is accessible, it does sync it.

So, success, Thanks ! :-)
Quote:(can I run sudo apt-get update then upgrade ?)

No, breakage may occour and support will not be forthcoming... Wink

sudo apt-get update is fine and will allow repos, so installs of some packages will work but sudo apt-get upgrade is a "be it on your own head and don't come crying when it doesn't work" scenario... Rolleyes
Cheers,
bob.
----------
bob
(11-29-2020, 05:16 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:(can I run sudo apt-get update then upgrade ?)

No, breakage may occour and support will not be forthcoming... Wink

sudo apt-get update is fine and will allow repos, so installs of some packages will work but sudo apt-get upgrade is a "be it on your own head and don't come crying when it doesn't work" scenario... Rolleyes
Cheers,
bob.

Yes, that is what I thought, so I did not do upgrade and will not do.

Now, I need to find out how to shedule a .sh file in moOde. I did not do it in debian either for like 10+ years, since we have good admin tools :-)

Should I do by cron?
I see:
pi@moode:~ $ systemctl status cron
● cron.service - Regular background program processing daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cron.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:cron(8)

Thanks,
JG