Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Slow performance and packet loss
1) I have my NAS plugged into my wireless router which is also plugged into a powerline adapter.

2) I had the Moode raspberry Pi 4 plugged into another powerline adapter not too far from the router.  All is well with audio playback when source files are stored on the SD card, however there seems to be significant latency in scanning files from the NAS.  Most significantly audio playback keeps pausing when playing back files from the NAS with the following recurring note in the log:

decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun

3) When I ping the NAS from the Pi then I noticed 50% packets lost, strangely pinging the router did not result in any loss.  Pinging the NAS from another machine on the same network also resulted in no packet loss.

4) I had assumed that this was the powerline adapter performance perhaps suffering from noise on the electric network.  However I am surprised to see that when I switch the Raspberry PI to wireless then I am now getting 71% packet loss!

Anyone seen anything similar?
<aside> Of course different adapters and different house wiring configurations can yield different results, but I have been using Netgear power line adapters in my house for years with 100 percent reliability. Among other things, my NAS is connected to my router/AP via them.</>

What NAS, what router/AP, what specifically is running on your RPi?

Regards,
Kent
To help determine whether the issue is in the 4B or some other device on your network try the following:

1. Swap in a different Pi for example a 3B+
2. Connect the 4B directly to the Router via Ethernet cable
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
To close the loop on this - I have solved this by resetting the router. For some reason the router seemed to have got in a malstate where it was dropping packets between the Pi and the NAS. All working now and listening to the fantastic sounds as delivered by Moode. Thanks for all the help.
Smile

That's number three on the help-desk hit list

1. is it plugged in?
  2. is it turned on?
  3. have you tried rebooting?
Glad it's working :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-16-2020, 06:48 PM)jwillans Wrote: To close the loop on this - I have solved this by resetting the router.  For some reason the router seemed to have got in a malstate where it was dropping packets between the Pi and the NAS.  All working now and listening to the fantastic sounds as delivered by Moode.  Thanks for all the help.

Good move... I religiously re-boot my router every week.

I guess the Problem can get signed-off as RESOLVED.
"I religiously re-boot my router every week"

Wot...? like with a lump of wood and some mystical chanting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY
----------
bob
Works best if you hit the router as well as your head.
Great clip from a classic movie. Thanks to it, I am so wise in the ways of science. I know that the earth is banana-shaped, that sheep's bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes, and that the scientific method can be employed to determine if "she's a witch!" The discussion of the possible ways a coconut could make its way to England is a hoot.

And now for something completely different.

Regards,
Kent