Thank you for your donation!

How to get a warmer sound?
Hi,

Very impressed with the functionality of Moode, works perfectly for me and the Tidal intergration is great - but how can I achieve a warmer sound in Moode?

I have tried various pieces of software including, Roon and Audiolinux.   Moode sounds very similar to Audiolinux in my opinion (similar linux underpinnings I guess) - but it's much easier to use.

It doesn't sound quite so warm and analogue like as my present reference 'Euphony Audio' (Trial version) however - I think they do something to warm up the sound in their playback engine, but I don't know what it is.  Detail retrieval is about the same between Euphony and Moode.

It has been suggested to me that Audirvana imparts more of a warm sound as well, but I'm yet to try this.

Any tips?
Maybe you need to play about with the EQ settings in MoOde. Personally I dislike any EQ changes, I disable them all, on my amp also. I find the sound very good personally, so it's likely personal preference IMO.
(12-04-2019, 12:50 PM)grasshopper Wrote: Maybe you need to play about with the EQ settings in MoOde.  Personally I dislike any EQ changes, I disable them all, on my amp also.  I find the sound very good personally, so it's likely personal preference IMO.

Echoing grasshopper, I tried EQ several versions ago and found it degraded the SQ, though the balance was changed appropriately.

If you are using SoX resampling, try the 'Medium' quality setting. I strongly prefer that to the the 'better' settings which test better in a standard analytic. I suspect that the low-level harmonics are nicer at the 'Medium' setting. If you are not using SoX to upsample to the highest rate your DAC accepts, give it a try.
When trying it, also compare the output at 24 bits to the output at 32 bits. The data should be the same, but interactions with DACs are sometime mystical from a user's point of view All of these things are variable by system combinations and generaliztions often (usually?) fail.
(12-04-2019, 10:07 AM)stretchneck Wrote: snip..................... Very impressed with the functionality of Moode, works perfectly for me and the Tidal intergration is great - but how can I achieve a warmer sound in Moode?............... snip ................... Any tips?

Have you tried Edward's tweaks... ?     http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=749

Also have you considered that your particular DAC chip and its implementation may be the cause of a more 'clinical' sound (to your ears)? In an audiophile's paradise one should have the possibility to test a range of DAC devices now and then... Angel  After the said test the decision would boil down to which of the two makes more financial sense: change the DAC or purchase the perfect audio player...