Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: How to connect to specific WiFi BSSID?
@Leigh

Yeah, it's frustrating but it shouldn't be "inevitable." 

However, I think it's beyond the scope of this forum to get into the details of multi-AP network configuration. I expect your upstairs access point is actually a combination access point/router which will have to be configured to be a bridge back to your primary router. Here's one step-by-step example I found in a quickie search: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/setting-...68675.html

These days folks seem to be migrating to mesh network gear to get around some of the setup hassles. I don't have any and can't comment on any possible gotchas (I always expect my toast to fall jelly-side down!).

As for the BSSID trick, yes, first configure moOde to be a client in your WiFi network. Before moOde can connect to your AP, it has to calculate the PSK, writing it into the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. You can then save a copy of this file---just in case!---and edit the original to use bssid= instead of ssid= and reboot. Note that you have to do the copying and editing as root (e.g., using sudo). Here's an example

Code:
pi@moode0w:/etc/wpa_supplicant $ sudo cat wpa_supplicant.conf
#########################################
# This file is automatically generated by
# the player Network configuration page.
#########################################

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
#ssid="XXXXXX"
bssid=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
scan_ssid=1
psk=x823x3x01x273761xx6x8x5x4xx7xx6x3x4x5xx4x20742xx5xx8x8xxx7xxxx56
}

where I have obfuscated various entries. The bssid value is published by the access point (a little Web searching will turn up how to get it various ways such as using the 'iwlist scan' command in Linux), and the psk value was calculated by moOde using wpa_passphrase. 

You can do this editing via moOde's Web SSH Terminal or by ssh'ing into moOde from another host.

I can think of two ways to recover if this borks something. One is to plug your moOde player into an Ethernet port on your router, ssh into it, and undo the edit. The other, if you have a Linux or MacOS host, is to remove the uSD card from the RPi, plug it into the host, and, again undo the edit.

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
How to connect to specific WiFi BSSID? - by Leigh - 12-07-2019, 11:35 PM
RE: How to connect to specific WiFi BSSID? - by TheOldPresbyope - 12-08-2019, 09:29 PM