Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Can't mount SMB share
I recently got a new Synology NAS device (DS1019+) to replace my old Synology NAS (DS213j) and I've been having trouble mounting a shared folder over SMB. The logs keep showing "mount error(13): Permission denied".
  • Mounting a shared folder from my old NAS works fine. I've tried making sure the new NAS has all the same SMB settings with no success so I'm baffled.
  • I tried opening an SSH shell and manually mounting the folder from the new NAS and it seems to work fine. This does me no good, however, since the mount doesn't show up in the Moode GUI.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
Post the command string u used to manually mount your new NAS.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
sudo mkdir /mnt/NAS/MyFam
sudo mount -t cifs -o user=thetaj,vers=1.0,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 //MyFamilyNAS/music /mnt/NAS/MyFam
(12-11-2019, 08:59 PM)TheTaj Wrote: I recently got a new Synology NAS device (DS1019+) to replace my old Synology NAS (DS213j) and I've been having trouble mounting a shared folder over SMB. The logs keep showing "mount error(13): Permission denied".
  • Mounting a shared folder from my old NAS works fine. I've tried making sure the new NAS has all the same SMB settings with no success so I'm baffled.
  • I tried opening an SSH shell and manually mounting the folder from the new NAS and it seems to work fine. This does me no good, however, since the mount doesn't show up in the Moode GUI.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

On my systems, mount error(13) is induced when I send a SMB server the wrong credentials (username/password). Just one might expect from mount's explanatory text message "Permission denied".
(12-11-2019, 10:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: On my systems, mount error(13) is induced when I send a SMB server the wrong credentials (username/password). Just one might expect from mount's explanatory text message "Permission denied".

Bingo! I don't know what was wrong with my old password, but it would work through the SSH window, but not through the Moode GUI. I had my password manager generate a new random password, changed the password for he account on the NAS, updated Moode and now all is good!

Are there some characters that Moode can't handle in the password field?
But how did the password get transmitted in the manual test? I don't see a password entry in the mount command you told Tim worked manually

Code:
sudo mount -t cifs -o user=thetaj,vers=1.0,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 //MyFamilyNAS/music /mnt/NAS/MyFam

There should be a "pass=xxxx," in there along with "user=thetaj,". If your password works there it should work with moOde's Music Source configuration.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Regards,
Kent
(12-11-2019, 11:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: But how did the password get transmitted in the manual test? I don't see a password entry in the mount command you told Tim worked manually

I typed the password when prompted. I didn't try using the "pass=xxx" flag on the command line and the old password is long gone now so I don't have an easy way to reproduce the issue. Tonight I may play around with it some more to see if I can break it again. My suspicion is that there is either a forbidden character or a password length limit that I violated.